Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #1

should I buy the 60 250 DA* Now?

Hi,

I am aiming for the 60 250 however I have heard that they will release the fullframe DSLR soon (before September i think). So I need an advice that should I wait for the ff zoom or just buy it now? And if I use it on a fullframe DSLR, is that will be ok?(with vintage controll or somethink) It seem has sone vintage on film camera at over 80mm?!

01-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Namdiablo Quote
Hi,

I am aiming for the 60 250 however I have heard that they will release the fullframe DSLR soon (before September i think). So I need an advice that should I wait for the ff zoom or just buy it now? And if I use it on a fullframe DSLR, is that will be ok?(with vintage controll or somethink) It seem has sone vintage on film camera at over 80mm?!
Sigma and Tamron both have 70-200mm zooms if you want to be ready for full frame. But at the moment there has been no official announcement of a FF Pentax, so it would be a longshot. Worst case, you can always sell the 60-250 for close to what a new one costs here on the Marketplace. It's a very nice lens in lots of ways!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Namdiablo Quote
Hi,

Welcome to Pentax Forums! I had this dilemma two or three years ago, and decided to go with a second-hand Pentax FA*80-200/2.8 over the DA*60-250/4, for two reasons. In the first place, the FA* lens was a whole stop faster than the DA*, and secondly its image circle covered a FF35 sensor. Ironically, I bought the FA*80-200 from someone who was selling it to buy a DA*60-250! The DA55-300 wasn't really a consideration for me, at the time.

On reflection, I probably should have gone for the DA*60-250, in spite of its image circle limitation. It's 390g lighter than the FA*80-200, wider and longer and has SDM (I know some people here are wary of that, but there don't seem to be many real issues reported on the 60-250), and I'm still waiting for a FF35-sensored Pentax DSLR.

The DA55-300/4-5.6 has a good reputation, and might be an interim solution for me if I hang on to the FA*80-200 while I wait for the FF35 Pentax. After all, it's a whole 1044g lighter than the 80-200! Having spent a lot of time walking around cities in Europe with a camera shoulder bag, I know what a difference a light weight lens can make.
01-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you, this is one of the best lens for pentax so far.. I think I will take it! (I have tried on my K5 and really love it). The only thing that hurt my head is the long term problem. )