Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help with 'standard' zoom lens

I was just about to pull the trigger on a 16-50 2.8 then started reading horror stories about SDM failures.
I then noticed the Sigma 17-50 2.8 (and I love Sigma lenses), but it isnt weather-sealed (I believe their EX ones are partially weather proofed?)
I have the 16-45, but I just miss have that really fast aperture at wide(ish) angle and F4 just isnt cutting it for me.

01-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

i used to have tammy 17-50 2.8 and got great shots off of it.
however it's not weather sealed so if thats the main concern i would be looking at other options.
being a zoom it sucked in quite a bit of dust during my use.
it's a great lens otherwise.
01-15-2014, 12:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I dont think the Tamron has SDM/HSM tho?
01-15-2014, 01:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
I dont think the Tamron has SDM/HSM tho?
The Tamron is only screwdrive.

I love mine. It's lighter and way smaller than its competitors.

Quality control issues abound though. Mine needed an AF adjustment of -6 before it became awesome.

Still, it's the cheapest in its class, smallest and lightest in its class, and tests show it to be on par or slightly better than its counterparts too.

I would also take a look at the new Sigma 17-70 if you are thinking you might need more reach. Otherwise, the Tamron gets my vote.

01-15-2014, 04:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If you love Sigma you should probably get it. I'd rather have the DA16-45 (for the IQ) any day.

But like you, I wanted a fast lens, so I got the DA*16-50. I've been fortunate not to have any SDM problems with it. Its IQ is just good enough that I don't regret using it instead of my primes when I need a zoom. None of the other offerings (the Sigma and Tamron) did that for me. It's perhaps only a little better than the Sigma and Tamron, but its IQ is just above the line of my (somewhat high) standard, whereas the other two were a little below it. Nevertheless, it's not outstanding like the DA*50-135 is. In fact, no one - I mean no one - makes a truly outstanding 16/17/18 to 50/55ish lens for any DSLR platform. So you just have to pick one that's good enough for your standard.

In fact, I was so used to using primes in this range that when I first got the DA*16-50 and tested it out, I was taken aback by just how much CA/PF and other flaws it exhibited between f/2.8 and f/4. But I quickly realized this was the price of having a zoom. After I decided to mostly shoot at f/3.5 (preferably f/4) or slower and got used to it I became very happy with the IQ. Its weaker spot is at its wide end (between 16 and 20mm), but it can still get very nice results, for example, at f/4 and 18mm.

I now love having the convenience of a zoom whenever the images are less critical, or I need to be fast and flexible, or the upcoming photographic situations are unpredictable. I have confidence that I'll still get very good images, and I do.

Last edited by DSims; 01-15-2014 at 04:41 AM.