Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Lens question

Here is the story I will try to make it short.
Birthday one we have a photographer take baby pics. Having never done this type of thing before, in my life,
I considered it ***very*** expensive. However, they were good pics. I just didn't realize how good at the time.
Call the cost X. I did not pay much attention to the camera at the time except to note it was Nikon and subconciously
I did notice it was diffenent than most but did not really pay attention. I loved these pics.

Birthday two we are on a bit of a budget and used this Groupon for a different photographer.
By this time I have my *ist and know more about cameras. I recognize her camera as a Canon box kit.
No different than what I have, just with the Canon arrogance that only Canon and Nikon can take good pics.
Now granted, she was very new at this (no need to go into details of how I know).
The pics were TERRIBLE. I think only some of it can be attributed to inexperience???? I mean they were
in focus and good color. But compared to year one, just terrible.
Call the price 1/2 X.

Birthday three we go back to the original photographer. Once again, I LOVE these pics. They are perfect.
But this time I take notice of her camera. It was a Nikon but I did not have the distance vision to see the model.

But the lens. Here is the deal. It was about 5 inches across and no more than 1.5 inches long.
I am convinced this made the difference.
What kind of lens is this?

I doubt I will be buying one but I wanted to tell my sister who used to be a professional photographer and
is now wanting to get back into it and I am trying to convince her that the money shot is in perfect baby pictures,
not dog and horse shows.

Thanks!

01-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #2

If you have the JPG's then look at the exif data, it may show you the lens info. If not contact the photographer and ask her what the lens was.

Les
01-15-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fast Prime?

Hello Condor,
The lens you've described is probably a fast prime, my guess would be the 35-58mm focal length. Nikon has several in this range, mostly f/1.4-f/1.8.
That would seem correct for baby photos, no flash, right? Here's a short telephoto, about the same diameter but longer than you describe;
Nikon Telephoto AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D IF Autofocus Lens 1933 B&H
You might scroll through the other Nikkors to see if any look similar to the one used.
Hope this helps!
Ron
01-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter

The lens is far, far more important than the camera. But the photographer is the most important factor. I'd say at least 90 % relies on the photographer, leaving 10 % for the lens. The camera is unimportant IMO.

And I have no idea where the money lies - I shoot purely for fun

01-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Moved from General Section which is for Non Photographic topics only.
01-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could the lens be something like a Voigtländer 40mm pancake? However, a pro with a cheap entry level camera will beat an amateur with the best and latest camera in 99% of the cases.
01-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you everybody. I looked at those lenses and the proportions are all wrong. I just realized I went to the zoo on Sunday.
There were peeps there with these HUGE lenses. Over a foot long maybe. They were huge across at the end but normal size
at the camera body end. Her lens was that big around just 1.5 inches long.

I will bring in photos tomorrow.
01-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm guessing you were a little off on the length: 1.5" is a very short lens, and I've never seen a 1.5" x 5" lens. 3"x5", perhaps.

But it's very likely that the difference in results was at least 95% due to the photographer, and not the lens.

01-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go to the Nikon web site and browse through the lens catalog.
01-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #10

This one is really W I D E and not very long.

01-16-2014, 06:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
Thank you everybody. I looked at those lenses and the proportions are all wrong. I just realized I went to the zoo on Sunday.
There were peeps there with these HUGE lenses. Over a foot long maybe. They were huge across at the end but normal size
at the camera body end. Her lens was that big around just 1.5 inches long.

I will bring in photos tomorrow.

Just a comment. When you are on the other side of a Nikon 50 or 55 it tends to look like all glass. This happened to me at dinner and a friend who shoots Nikon happened to recognize the lens.
01-16-2014, 07:10 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Sigma 28mm f1.8 and it's kind of like the original discussion point. VERY wide, fairly long and stubby. Fast, though, and it takes some very nice images even wide open. It's also quick to focus and has a manual focus clutch which is nice.
Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical DG DF Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Last edited by TER-OR; 01-16-2014 at 07:18 AM.