Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-mount soviet lenses database.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm looking for the list of old soviet lenses with K-mount only. The whole idea to buy Pentax DSLR was about using those lenses without adapter. While I found many reviews here on those lenses, I need to dig all the threads and reviews to figure out which mount they have.
Does K-mount old soviet (russian) lenses catalog exist?

01-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never seen such a list, but if one exists I suspect it is fairly short. Most FSU and Russian SLR lenses were/are made in M42 screw mount with a smattering in Pentax K, Nikon F, and Canon EOS. According to the KMZ Web site current K-mount models are limited to:
  • MC Zenitar-K 16/2.8 Fisheye
  • MC Zenitar-K 50/2
The only other K-mount FSU lens I am aware of are:
  • (MC) Helios 44K-4 58/2
  • MC Zenitar-K 50/1.7

Steve
01-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Steve, I searched in Russian as well, and the list it bigger. However, I'd like to see the list in English, preferably with experience of using such lenses, rated. Not all lenses worth of wasting money on them, it's cheaper to learn from someone's opinion.

The search is wider in Russian because I can read information about soviet cameras, figuring out what cameras I might looking for on ebay to take lenses off.

However, my first Pentax has to arrive today, and I do have only Helios 44-4 K mount lens for it.
So, I'm pretty new to shop for K-mount lenses with confidence.

Last edited by micromacro; 01-15-2014 at 09:00 AM. Reason: added
01-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Steve, I searched in Russian as well, and the list it bigger. However, I'd like to see the list in English, preferably with experience of using such lenses.
The search is wider in Russian because I can read information about soviet cameras, figuring out what cameras I might looking for on ebay to take lenses off.
Hmmmm...Could you post the lenses you found here? Be aware that many vendors advertise K-mount when they really mean M42 shipped with an adapter.

Edit: I think I found your Russian language resource at http://www.zenitcamera.com/catalog/lenseslist.html. For sure many are listed as K-mount, though I am not sure how many ever made it to production. For example, Google "Mir 61K lens". It is on the zenitcameras list as "bayonet K", but apparently is incredibly rare. See http://www.xalmaz.narod.ru/lensese.htm (don't click to close annoying ad floating at right margin...). The Wikipedia entry on K-mount also lists several Russian/FSU lenses, but again, it is not clear which are native K-mount and which are adapted.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-15-2014 at 09:45 AM.
01-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm interested in this as well... I honestly didn't even knew that they are Russian lenses with k-mount out there
This will be bad for my budget...
01-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yep, I could. As a matter of fact, it's interesting to search by cameras, on by lenses. Knowing for sure which cameras had K-mount gives the list of lenses which were used for those specific cameras.

Here is one problem: some K-mounts look different than Helios I have, like this one, and I have no idea if it can work on Pentax (specifically K200D)
If you check this auction, look at the lens mount. It looks like K mount, but different than my K-mount Helios.

Jupiter 11 4 135mm Automat Russian Lens for Kiev 10 15 792280 | eBay
01-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a few more:

Volna-1 50/1.8
Helios 77-4K
Zenitar-K 50/1.9

There's a lot more here, though not a comprehensive list: Soviet optics for Nikon. M42 adapter Nikon. How to use Soviet lenses on Nikon cameras

Ignore the "nikon" in the link title, it has K-mount further down. That site has loads of reviews for soviet glass. I recommend checking it out.

I have the Volna-1 50/1.8 (there are also mystical 1.4 and 1.2 versions that I think were just prototypes). It's a nice lens, though I need to do some work on it.

Cheers!

01-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
There's a lot more here, though not a comprehensive list: Soviet optics for Nikon. M42 adapter Nikon. How to use Soviet lenses on Nikon cameras
Yep, I know that one. However, K-mount on Pentax is not covered there, giving you just a list of lenses. Not reviewed by Pentax users on Pentax cameras.
01-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
That auction doesn't say that the lens has a K-mount. In fact, it says "for Kiev 10/15", which a quick googling shows had its own bayonet mount not used anywhere else.
01-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yep, I could. As a matter of fact, it's interesting to search by cameras, on by lenses. Knowing for sure which cameras had K-mount gives the list of lenses which were used for those specific cameras.

Here is one problem: some K-mounts look different than Helios I have, like this one, and I have no idea if it can work on Pentax (specifically K200D)
If you check this auction, look at the lens mount. It looks like K mount, but different than my K-mount Helios.

Jupiter 11 4 135mm Automat Russian Lens for Kiev 10 15 792280 | eBay
I doubt that is a K-mount... looks Kiev mount.
01-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
That auction doesn't say that the lens has a K-mount. In fact, it says "for Kiev 10/15", which a quick googling shows had its own bayonet mount not used anywhere else.
It looks very similar to K.
01-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #12
Forum Member

Ask here: ?????? ? ????????? K - ?????? ?????-?????
01-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It looks very similar to K.
Still doesn't make it a k-mount. When you say k-mount you also have to take in consideration the registration point.
Even if you would find a similar mount used on another camera, does not mean is a k-mount or that it will work or focus properly.
01-15-2014, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ahhh...here you go! This online database might give you what you want:

Lens Database

Filter by mount/brand and you should be able to compile a good list. Enjoy!

Steve
01-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ahhh...here you go! This online database might give you what you want:

Lens Database

Filter by mount/brand and you should be able to compile a good list. Enjoy!

Steve
That is gold - thanks!