Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #16
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh, as far as the newer photos--it looks like an AF Nikon mount to me. I don't have Nikon AF glass--but it matches other photo's I have seen.

01-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #17
dms
Site Supporter

As far as the buying the lens--if it really is what it is purported to be, and it is in usable condition, you should be able to make a pretty penny on it.
01-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by t.manning Quote
Anyway, just to clarify since it isn't adaptal is there any way of mounting it with a Tamron adapter?
Looks like a Nikon AF mount. It definitely cannot be adapted to fit on your Pentax.

Steve
01-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks stevebrot, dms, and elliot I really appreciate the input y'all have given. Hopefully, I can sell the lens and put the profit toward the same lens but a pentax k mount.

01-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
I found a TAMRON 70-300MM F/4-5.6 PENTAX AF MOUNT LD for $30. I checked the reviews on this website and others and the main complaint people have is the purple fringing . With a average rating of 7.6 it appears to be a pretty good steal for the price. Would this be a good lens to replace the one I posted about ? It seems like it has decent macro performance.
01-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look at post #3 in this thread for a comparison between a version of the Tamron 70-300 and a Tamron Adaptall-2 90mm f2.5 macro. The zoom lens is OK if it's the only lens you brought that day, the dedicated macro if you want the best shot. That's not a bad lens for $30 though - I'm not sure you can get a dedicated macro for $30.
01-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Look at post #3 in this thread for a comparison between a version of the Tamron 70-300 and a Tamron Adaptall-2 90mm f2.5 macro. The zoom lens is OK if it's the only lens you brought that day, the dedicated macro if you want the best shot. That's not a bad lens for $30 though - I'm not sure you can get a dedicated macro for $30.
Thanks Just1MoreDave.
01-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #23
dms
Site Supporter

For what its worth:
1. peoples' expectations for a consumer zoom, and a relatively narrow audience (more $) macro are very different, so the reviews will be to a different standard.
2. Of course people sometimes rationalize their choice by giving a glowing review, and copy-to-copy varition is there as well

But if there are lots of reviews you can address the item 2. As regards 1, you need to look at the individual reviewer and see their background/how they rated other lenses you may know more about.

Bottom line a cheaper zoom cannot touch a macro for quality--but a zoom w/ a diopter is the easiest way to do macro outdoors under tough conditions. It's all about trade off's!

Last edited by dms; 01-17-2014 at 02:14 PM.
01-17-2014, 11:50 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
For what its worth:
1. peoples' expectations for a consumer zoom, and a relatively narrow audience (more $) macro are very different, so the reviews will be to a different standard.
2. Of course people sometimes rationalize their choice by giving a glowing review, and copy-to-copy varition is there as well

But if there are lots of reviews you can address the item 2. As regards 1, you need to look at the individual reviewer and see their background/how they rated other lenses you may know more about.

Bottom line a cheaper zoom cannot touch a macro for quality--but a zoom w/ a diopter is the easiest way to do macro outdoors under tough conditions. It's all about trade off's!
Thanks again dms for your help. I don't know a whole lot about diopters, so is there a diopter for the K-30 and if so what should should I get?
01-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #25
dms
Site Supporter

Diopters are like filters--they are glass and screw into front of lens. Generally the 2 element diopters are better. I use one made by Nikon which has a power of about +3 (hard to go into a lot detail here--look in books on macro to see how much power affects the strength). I use their model no. 4T which fits a 52mm front, the 6T fits a 62 mm size. With in reason you can use a step down adapter--I use mine on lenses w/ up to about 62 mm front.

The idea is w/ zoom one can focus and zoom w/o moving the camera, and even good "macro" zooms seldom are good above m=0.3 about and the diopter adds magnification w/ less degrading of the image. Works well to maybe m=0.7 and frankly higher magnification is "seriously hard" and generally not used when taking a "walk and seeing something." You should be able to find the NIkon diopter used at KEH or B&H.

Or spend maybe $10. for a used set of inexpensive diopters (they come in sets of 3, usually +1, +2, +3; or +1, +2, +4, by Pentax, Vivitar, Spiratone, etc.). That way you can find out how they work, if you really want a better one, and what strength you need. BTW w/ a long FL lens a high power diopter isn't useful. For medium FL zoom I like +3 (but that's what I had and I maybe just made do!). BTW the cheaper diopters are said by many to do fine. Just presumably don't try copying a stamp, or small typed page, where you need flat field and little edge to edge distortion.
01-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #26
dms
Site Supporter

To give you a scenario--when hiking (backpacking) in cold and/or wet weather, it's tough to stop, take of one's pack, pull out a teleconverter and/or lens extension, and remove the camera lens to switch or add before mentioned item(s), or to get in just the right spot, or to know you need the tripod and also that you will need to move it around to get the right magnification/focus, etc.

Being able to just add the diopter to the zoom that's already on the camera, and get the shot makes a big difference for me. Otherwise I (you?) are likely to just say forget it and move on.
01-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the very helpful information dms. I think I will get a set of inexpensive diopters and see how they work. In addition to the Tamron 70-300 I am buying I also have a Pentax A 1:4 70-210 lens. Would a 62mm diopter work for both lens ?
01-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #28
dms
Site Supporter

From what I say below, you can infer the 62mm diopter should be fine.

I have a 70-210mm f2.8-4 Vivitar series 1 lens that has 62mm filter size, and my Pentax 49mm diopter work fine on it (anyway the power +1 does, I just checked it) on a Pentax dslr. Since the diopter makes the lens into a longer FL (strictly speaking FL is for when the lens is focused at infinity but as a practical matter this is OK working description), it should generally be fine w/ a step down ring.

Actually a 52mm diopter diameter likely gives a large choice of used diopter kits, thus a lower price, and also most options for fitting good hoods--as there are lots of used metal Nikon hoods of that size. Or given the lenses you have, if there is one you mostly will use, get the right diopter diameter for it, and the hood you have will fit. For other lenses you will use a step up or down as need be. The better lens (optically) and an ideal aperture (~f/8-f/11) is of course best.
01-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #29
dms
Site Supporter

BTW with a diopter I think an effective hood is really important. (It always is but even more so!)
1. You are effectively adding two more glass-to-air surfaces, and
2. at least one of them is likely not multi-coated, and
3. the lens glass is sticking out further from the lens body.
01-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
I am looking at getting a used 52mm diopter +1, +2, +3 set, though interestingly enough I am having trouble finding them. I am seeing a lot of "macro lens" listings but not Pentax, Vivitar, or Spiratone diopters.

The Tamron lens I am buying has a lens hood that comes with it. I anticipate this lens will be the one I mainly use for macro shots.