Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Love the shot too rparmar. Ben, yours just blow me away. Always liked your work. Must be that great Canadian blood! The first shot, as I mentioned before, is a dead ringer for my daughter. Cheers and now that the Wake is over on your decision to part with Pentax... life can move on! Cheers JIMBO
Holy Geez "anuder" Hozer! Eh? Bring on the Molsons' Golden....

04-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks everyone -- wow -- I'm blown away!

Getting that shot made me feel like a real landscape photographer... lying on the grass in the freezing cold on the edge of a cliff at the Atlantic, waiting for the right light. My partner stayed in the warm car and was good enough to put up with my intense devotion to a random day on the calendar that someone called Pentaxium. We celebrated afterwards in Killkee with the best Indian food in 100 kilometres (really).

I wouldn't say that 16mm is the best focal length for a landscape shot. In this case it pushed the large black island into the distance, reducing its impressive stature. But I was happy with the scope that field of view captured, from the waves in the foreground to the distant curve of the shoreline.

This was made up of three shots with a good deal of manual exposure mapping and the old dodge'n'burn.

I really couldn't choose between that shot (Lightburst) and the following one, Into The West. This may not have the same dramatic lighting, but it says so much about the Irish condition. I was thrilled when a jetliner blessed the sunset with its presence.

Oh yeah, the 16-45mm? Just buy it already.
04-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
My favourite beer would be Dragon's Breath from Kingston Brew Pub. Hart brewed and distributed it throughout Ontario for some years, a golden age of real ale for the cognoscenti. Hoppy... let me tell you about hoppy!

Now you've got to go to Kingston to get it. So what are you waiting for?
04-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Another great shoot rparmar. Its all about being in the right place at the right time [or waiting it out] and of coarse "THE LENs".

QuoteQuote:
Holy Geez "anuder" Hozer! Eh? Bring on the Molsons' Golden

Ben:: Once a Canadian always a Canadian!! Cheers and look forward to seeing more of your work! JIMBO

04-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Peasants, all of you. You should know by now that the only Eastern beer to drink is Dow.
04-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Eastern Beer!!! Oh come on...for truly great beer you have to come out to BC and try any number of micro breweries...Ah clean mountain water....

Actually it is a great time for beer. Small, high quality breweries seem to be everywhere. Why anyone would drink Molson or Labatt at this stage of the game is beyond me.
04-30-2008, 09:06 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Peasants, all of you. You should know by now that the only Eastern beer to drink is Dow.
Good lord... the man lives a little over an hour away and talks about Eastern beer with so much better so close at hand.

Personally, I am an incorrigible Kokanee drinker, and have been since long before the slick advertising campaigns started 15 years ago or whatever. To wit, I remember as a young lad buying "a case of fish" off the loading dock at the brewery. That would be sometime in the 60's... If that makes me a peasant, so be it. I'm a miner's kid and a former miner myself, never saw anything wrong with being a peasant - especially when it allowed me to grow up and live in the East Kootenays.

It may not be microbrewery stuff, but when I took leave in Germany a lot of the brews over there tasted agreeably like Kokanee, so it can't be too bad. Even my brothers the beer snobs don't seem to have a problem raiding the fridge when they're over...

Nice to have some spare time once again to enjoy the site and the images. I'd like to compare either of the two lenses in question with my Sigma 17-70, which tends to be my walk around lens. However, the new Pentax 55-300 has my attention at the moment. As Canada Rockies knows, there's a lot of stuff in this area that favours a bit of reach in a lense. Being as most of my photography is in conjunction with hunting, kayaking, backpacking, flyfishing, etc here in the Kootenays, paring the number of lenses, weight, and space required down is a real factor.

Now what was I looking for when I came back here after so many months... oh yeah... slide scanners. Jeez, it's easy to get sidetracked here!

05-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #38
hll

hey gawan, what was the f of this cropped image???
thanks