Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
Thanks! But I'm looking between F and DFA, because I need autofocus, so that excludes M/A series. Currently the biggest fight is between 100mm F, FA, and DFA (as well as Tamron 90mm and Sigma 105mm. All very similar.
All are excellent lenses, so unless WR is a big factor you can choose away! I'm quite happy with my Sigma 105 and I see one in the Marketplace now. I've had the Tamron 90 and Sigma 50, they are excellent too I don't go fully 1:1 all that often so the 50mm was more portable, but the 100mm aren't all that large.

01-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Does the Sigma 50mm (and Sigma 100mm) focus clutch works better than that of Tamron?
I have never used a Tamron macro lens, so I cannot comment in regards to that product. In regards to Sigma and focus clutch. Neither lens has a focus clutch, though both have a focus limiter. When in the "full" position the lens will focus through its full range. When in the "limit" position, it will focus from about 9.5" (0.24 m) to infinity. The focus limiter on my Sigma 50 works as advertised.

Steve
01-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
appy with my Sigma 105
Hi jimr-pdx, how does the lens swtich between manual and auto focus?
01-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Hi jimr-pdx, how does the lens swtich between manual and auto focus?
It's two steps (like the Tamron 90); camera switch plus a push/pull on the lens. A bit cumbersome but not drastically bad. And the Sigma has a focus limiter, though it will still focus to less than 1.5 feet (or 1/2 full macro) when 'limited' on the long end!

01-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #20
Site Supporter

It's two steps (like the Tamron 90); camera switch plus a push/pull on the lens. A bit cumbersome but not drastically bad. And the Sigma has a focus limiter, though it will still focus to less than 1.5 feet (or 1/2 full macro) when 'limited' on the long end!
So you have the HSM version?

Steve
01-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
No this is the old EX DG with aperture ring.
01-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an FA 100mm f2.8 macro which I really like for insect Macro.
I do use autofocus in many applications in the field, it means taking a lot of exposures but chasing bees is just too fast for me to keep the manual focus. The lens seems to do pretty well tracking.

I have the Sigma 28mm f1.8 macro for closer work, and that lens is a joy to use.
01-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think the HSM version is never released for Pentax, too bad because it has a normal focus switch instead of a clutch system that doesn't fit Pentax well (like the Tamron 90?)

A bit cumbersome but not drastically bad.
I see, is it better than the Tamron? I read in the review (Tamron 90mm Macro vs Pentax 100mm WR: Review - Tamron 90mm Focusing - PentaxForums.com), Tamron requires 2 steps to switch from auto to manual.

01-17-2014, 11:35 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Both the Tam90 and Sig105 do the same things with the internal clutch, yet somehow I tolerate it better with the Sigma. I'd love to know why that is since it would save me a bunch of wheeling and dealing to know that in advance for next time!! I'll admit it's one of the reasons I liked the Sigma 50mm, it has the focus limiter but no AF/MF clutch.
01-18-2014, 12:18 AM   #25

Original Poster
Looks like I should steer away from Tamron 90mm and Sigma 105mm, ergonomically speaking.

The next big question should be: is focus limiter really important?

Both DFA 100mm versions lack focus limiter, but FA and F have it. I suspect Pentax got rid of the focus limiter because they reckon newer DSLR bodies should have better focusing mechanism hence rendering the focus limited non-essential???
01-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #26
Pentaxian

A general trend in photography industry is dumbing lenses down , making them more automatic (which implies the user has less control). And yes, many people are wondering, as you are, whether the automation is good enough, and many people wish they could take more control.
Which camera do you have? Keep in mind that the older lenses are also bigger and only the latest DFA is WR. I find the WR and size to be important.
I can tell you that on the K-01, the DFA WR is pretty slow to focus, it sometimes glides through the whole focus range (since this camera is constantly in Live view). This combination is not very fast, for example if you want to photograph moving animals at a distance. I prefer to MF in those cases.
But on my K-r, the AF is much more acceptable, pretty snappy, unless I am going from one end of the range to the other end of the range in low light condition. I expect newer DSLRs should be at least as good if not better (especially the K-5II and K-3)
01-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Which camera do you have?
I have the K5. And I have been using mainly manual M- lens...

I find the WR and size to be important
I also find WR to be very useful, after I took my DA* out in a super heavy rain.

I think buying the DFA WR online may be a less preferable way, as I can test the autofocus in shop and decide whether a focus limiter is essential?
01-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Some people love to buy online. But I prefer to at least hold the lens in my hands before I buy it, so I try to find it in a store. I think thats a good idea, just remember that indoors it might focus slower than it would outside in brighter conditions. Some people even test it in stores and then order it online in the parking lot
01-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #29

Original Poster
that indoors it might focus slower than it would outside in brighter conditions.
Thanks for the reminder. And thanks everybody who contributed to this thread!
01-22-2014, 04:32 AM   #30
Pentaxian

My experience differs from the majority here - as I have access to two long macro lenses and personally, I wouldn't work with anything shorter than 150mm. Many have suggested the sigma 70mm f/2.8, which is an exceptionally sharp lens - however the working distance is too short at 1:1. I find my Pentax FA*200mm f/4 ED and Sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX to be absolutely indispensable with the subjects I work with. And the fact that they are both over 100mm a focus limiter is mandatory.

Sigma 180mm f/3.5

Pentax FA*200mm f/4 ED Macro

Sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX

Pentax FA*200mm f/4 ED Macro

Yes, for a macro lens is is essential, if you intend to use the lens for typical everyday photographic use with Full AF. But even in manual focus mode a focus limiter will helpful.