Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #31

I have the Tamron but if money were no option I'd definitely get the Pentax 50-250. The Tamron has some excellent image quality but thats about all it has going for it. Its big, its heavy, and the AF leaves much to be desired. I find that I shoot around F3.5 most of the time so being stuck at F4 with the pentax wouldn't be a big deal for me. The smaller size, WR, and SDM focus more than makes up for the lack of speed.

The reason I don't own the DA 50-250 is the price. I got my 70-200 for $550 open box. The DA 50-250 is more than double that new and sometimes used even.

01-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #32
Site Supporter

I'd choose the Pentax if you can stand F4. It's a great lens, and more reach is never a bad thing. Not to mention the all weather feature will probably mean less dust in your lens in the long run.
01-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
lighter weight
I thought the Tamron was lighter but I could just be remembering wrong?

As I recall the sigma was significantly heavier than the Tamron.

I wasn't impressed with the AF speed for the SIgma vs the Tamron. Maybe it was just my experience; but I thought the Sigma was much quieter (silent) but not much quicker than the Tamron.

The Tamron gets a bad rap when people try it on other brands. I put a Nikon version on a D7000 or D600 (can't remember) and it took about 3x longer to focus than the Pentax version on a k-5.

I think Nikon and Canon just under-power their screwdrives.
01-22-2014, 05:48 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma is a little heavy than Tamron, but is shorter, and it's mass is more balanced, so I feel it quiet easier than Tamron, used handheld. And also, is very fast in AF, because is HSM. Tamron is not much slower than Sigma, but hunts for AF sometimes. Instead Tamron has better IQ at f2.8, one of the best in that range of lenses.

01-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I thought the Tamron was lighter but I could just be remembering wrong?
The Tamron is a tad heavier than the Pentax. It is not as well balanced, however.

As I recall the sigma was significantly heavier than the Tamron.
True for all versions of the Sigma.

I wasn't impressed with the AF speed for the SIgma vs the Tamron. Maybe it was just my experience; but I thought the Sigma was much quieter (silent) but not much quicker than the Tamron.
Tests suggest that with a Pentax body, the Tamron focuses decently fast. Both the Sigma (newer versions) and the Pentax are faster but none of these lenses are actual dogs.

The Tamron gets a bad rap when people try it on other brands. I put a Nikon version on a D7000 or D600 (can't remember) and it took about 3x longer to focus than the Pentax version on a k-5.
With some other brands, the screwdrive is indeed underpowered. I believe (but am not sure) that some versions of the Tamron also use SDM equivalents.
01-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I think Nikon and Canon just under-power their screwdrives.
Canon camera and lower-level Nikon cameras don't even have screwdrive AF. Hence the Tamron 70-200 has a (somewhat underpowered) focusing motor.

There's a more expensive version of the Tammy 70-200 that has an SDM-like motor and in-lens stabilization.

QuoteOriginally posted by TopherTheME Quote
The reason I don't own the DA 60-250 is the price. I got my 70-200 for $550 open box. The DA 60-250 is more than double that new and sometimes used even.
I got the Tammy 70-200 for the exact same reason: price. I would've prefered the DA* 60-250. Better build quality, longer range (on both ends), better focus accuracy, slightly better microcontrast and color rendition. But it's twice as expensive, and I don't shoot in the ~60 to ~250 range enough to justify that extra cost.

If money is not object, I do think the DA* 60-250 is the preferable, particularly if you expect to use the lens extensively. 70-200 f2.8 lenses have the highest breakdown rates at the lens rentals places, so durable build is an important factor. And while the Tammy 70-200 build quality may not be quite as mediocre as some suggest, there's still quite a bit of plastic in that lens.
01-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another Tamron 70-200 user here. If I had the money (back when I was deciding, the 70-200 was $699 and the DA*60-250 was $1500) I would have gone with the DA*.
01-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #38
Site Supporter

I had the money. I preferred the Tamron 70-200.

01-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #39
Pentaxian

I think one more factor that might be considered is possible use with a TC. There is no reliable AF SDM/HSM compatible TC available for Pentax to date. Pentax has been promising one for years, and still shows it on recently updated lens roadmaps, but it's still vaporware. The discontinued PZ compatible TCs from Tamron and Kenko, although they have the correct contacts to power an SDM/HSM lens (in-lens focusing motors), they are not truly compatible as they require multiple AF actuations or close manual prefocusing to achieve a focus lock. This is from my own experience, and a number of members of this and other Pentax fora who use TCs extensively.

Screw drive lenses (like the Tamron) do not have this problem. If the lens is fast enough to give you a max aperture faster than @ f8, AF will lock reliably if the light is reasonable for the combined max aperture. TCs slow the maximum aperture in direct proportion to the magnification, so a 1.4x TC slows max aperture by 1 stop, and a 2x slows it by 2 stops.

Personally, I'd choose the Tamron for this reason alone. Fast telephoto lenses are expensive as you've seen. A TC can give you extra versatility for relatively low cost when used with high end lenses. The Tamron 70-200 with a good 1.4x TC will also give you a very competent 98-280 f4 at very little extra expense (both monetarily and in carry weight).

The currently available Vivitar 1.4x AF TC is rumored to be a rebadged Tamron without the PZ capability, and costs @ $100.

Optically, the Tamron F 1.4x AF PZ MC4 was considered the best (by a hair over the Sigma EX 1.4x APO AF TC) AF TC for the K mount during its run. I have both of these, and having shot them side by side, I tend to agree. . .

Scott
01-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #40
Pentaxian

About using a TC with such lenses. I own a Soligor 1.7x Pz-AF TC, and used it with Tamron 70-200mm f2.8, with good result, in AF mode, when light is good. But the time of AF is a little longer, and hunting on difficult targets more frequently. It even loose the target completely some time. Must point that loosing the focus on difficult targets happens on Tamron even without the TC, because it hunts for the target, and if didn't find it, it locks on a random focus distance. Here, Sigma 70-200mm, and Pentax 50-250mm has the advantage, because has fulltime manual focusing, which can help you is you loose focus. With Tamron, if you loose focus, you must push back the focus ring, and switch the camera on manual focus, to gain manual control over focusing. In exchange, Sigma can be used with TC only in manual focus.

In my opinion, for fast targets, like birds and butterflies, the best is Sigma, followed by Pentax because is f4, and last, Tamron. For butterflies, Sigma, with his close focus distance of about 1metre is especially suited.