Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Comparing lenses using a glassless adapter (Minolta to Pentax): Does it make sense?

Hi,

in addition to my Pentax gear, my Minolta collection has been growing recently. I have ended up with several pairs of similar lenses and I need a way to decide which ones to keep. I could use my glassless K-mount adapter to compare the lenses on my K-5 but don't know what impact the adapter, which acts as a ~8mm macro tube, will have on the image quality.

Would the results with the adapter be transferable to the lenses on Minolta SR?

I'd like to decide these two pairings:

Vivitar Series 1 28mm f/1.9 -vs- Minolta MD W.Rokkor 28mm f/2
Minolta MC W.Rokkor-HH 35mm f/1.8 (MC-I version) -vs- Minolta MC W.Rokkor 35mm f/1.8 (MC-X version)

And these two pairings would at least be interesting:
Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 (MC-X version) -vs- Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm f/1.4 (MC-I version)
Minolta MC Tele Rokkor 200mm f/3.5 -vs- Meyer-Optik Orestegor 200mm f/4

I could also shoot and scan a comparison using film but I'd like to get around that if possible...

regards
Jan

01-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well if you aren't planning on using a minolta mount camera, then a comparison with adapters makes sense, since you will be only using them with adapters.
But seeing your signature, you already have some Minolta cameras, so why not just devote a roll of film to testing? You don't even need to scan the film, just develop it normally? I remember shooting a couple rolls with every new lens just to see its character and whether I like it or not. Seems silly in the digital era, but hey..
01-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
so why not just devote a roll of film to testing?
What he said. That will allow you to evaluate the lenses for other than close-up work.

Steve
01-17-2014, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said. That will allow you to evaluate the lenses for other than close-up work.
I was thinking of comparing the lenses like this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/238807-comp...m-f-1-9-a.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/233415-soli...m-f-2-3-a.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/238637-vivi...m-f-4-0-a.html
At least the 28 and 35s, I'm fairly sure that I'll keep the MC200/3.5 (for convenience) and the MC58/1,2.

What I was wondering is whether the lenses' performance on the adapter (close-up but set to infinity) would be indicative of their performance without the adapter (set to medium distance or infinity).

I'd expect the 28s to be fairly close in performance and the 35s to be near identical (probably only sample variation and coating differences) so I'd need controlled test shots to distinguish them.
I guess I could use the test shots to dial in my scanning technique with my new Minolta scanner but I'm afraid of boring myself to death...

regards
Jan