Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Rethinking on a sigma advice hopefully

I am considering a lens change and have a question I need advice on.

How do people feel about the Tokina in the context of 'I already have a bigma, should I switch from the bigma to the tokina as my long lens?'

I already have a Sigma 'bigma' 50-500 (Non OS version). I did one airshow last year with it, but it was rubbish weather, poor light and I wasn't yet used to stepping it down and getting the shutter settings right.

I'm very light when it comes to lenses, I only have 3.

18-55 WR stock lens which is actually quite nice but I am contemplating changing it soon for either the 18-135 or the 17-70

old Pentax 50 M lens which is super sharp but manual

and the bigma.

eventually I will expand to a wide zoom for landscape and architecture type stuff but I'm holding off for now to see if Pentax relax a new one soon. there is one on the roadmap perhaps. Also, doesn't the roadmap show a possible 100ish to 400 zoom for pentax to come soon?

Anyway, back to zooms.

I preferred the 50-500 over the 150-500 because I like the range of it, at airshows stuff can taxi by very close and the 50mm is short enough for me to get it. I only have one body so the reach is great. however the weight of the bigma is becoming irritating and certainly takes some of the enjoyment out of the day when my arms and wrists ache ( I prefer to shoot handheld you see)

I have read a few times that the 120-400 is slightly sharper than the bigma, but the 120 is too long for me at the low end.

I have a lead on a tokina 80-400, the fabled tokina lens but when reading about it, it seems some people being quite mixed about it now, when a few years ago it seems to have been more highly regarded.

Before anyone suggests it, I can't afford the EX 100-300 sigma + TC combination and I don't like using primes for airshows. I like zoom, to take in different situations. I don't go birding so don't need a prime.

Unfortunately, in pentax terms, that does not leave much to consider.

the sigma 120-400 is nearly as heavy at the bigma but the tokina is half the weight, a mere 2lbs or so, which is very good indeed.

does anyone with a Tokina 80-400 feel they can chime in on this.

I have a K3, and shoot action and fast moving stuff with the long lens so sample pictures would help very much.

01-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lancer3397 Quote
I have a lead on a tokina 80-400, the fabled tokina lens but when reading about it, it seems some people being quite mixed about it now, when a few years ago it seems to have been more highly regarded.
I had the Tokina 80-400mm and my copy was great at 80mm but not so much at 400mm, which I think is what you'll find in mentioned in some of the reviews. Loved the build quality. Sold it and not too long ago picked up the first edition of the Sigma 135mm-400mm, which is much better at 400mm (excellent at 300mm). The Sigma isn't so strong at 135mm (chromatic aberrations are more significant at the closer focal lengths). I prefer the Sigma and don't mind giving up the 80-135mm range (I have a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8, so I've got my bases covered one way or the other).