Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Help with lens adapters

Hi, so Ive been thinking about getting one of those old russian lenses, because they are inexpensive, and I think it would be fun to play around with a manual lens, among other things. Im thinking of getting either the KMZ Helios 44-2 58mm F/2 or the Industar-50 50mm F3.5. Im leaning towards the Industar. I know that they are probably going to either come in a m42 or a m39 lens mount type, and that I will need an adapter for my k-5ii, and this is where I need help.

From the research i've done and the forums i've read, it seems that there are a few options. Try and fine a genuine pentax converter, for 30+ dollars, or find a 3rd party mount. The 30 dollars seems silly because it would be the same price, if not more than the lens itself, but ive read people having a lot of issues with 3rd party converters. People have said that some of them prevent the lens from focusing to infinity, and some of them get stuck in the camera.

Does anyone have any advice for me? or can anyone point me towards a reliable cheaper lens adapter?

Thank you very much for you help,

01-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpritchardv Quote
Hi, so Ive been thinking about getting one of those old russian lenses, because they are inexpensive, and I think it would be fun to play around with a manual lens, among other things. Im thinking of getting either the KMZ Helios 44-2 58mm F/2 or the Industar-50 50mm F3.5. Im leaning towards the Industar. I know that they are probably going to either come in a m42 or a m39 lens mount type, and that I will need an adapter for my k-5ii, and this is where I need help.

From the research i've done and the forums i've read, it seems that there are a few options. Try and fine a genuine pentax converter, for 30+ dollars, or find a 3rd party mount. The 30 dollars seems silly because it would be the same price, if not more than the lens itself, but ive read people having a lot of issues with 3rd party converters. People have said that some of them prevent the lens from focusing to infinity, and some of them get stuck in the camera.

Does anyone have any advice for me? or can anyone point me towards a reliable cheaper lens adapter?

Thank you very much for you help,
If you're going to get a third party adapter, get one without a flange, so that it doesn't protrude beyond the lens mount.

Here's a good third party adapter: General Brand Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter ABPKS B&H
And here's an example of a bad one: Dot Line Lens Mount Adapter for M42 to Pentax K Bayonet DL-0620

I would still recommend getting the Pentax adapter, however, as I'm sure it will save you some headaches down the road. Plus, it keeps its value well so you'll always be able to sell it again if you stop using M42 lenses for whatever reason

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax adapter always works.

Third party knock offs usually work, but if they are manufactured just a bit sloppy then issues can arise. Generally it is considered a good idea to take off the metal lock clip which is what gets stuck if things are not made just right. But that means that the only thing holding the lens on is the mount ears as there is no lock clip. Most will say this is not a problem in regular use, just so you are aware of it.

As Adam noted do not get one with a flange unless you are doing macro or using a bellows where infinity focus is not needed.

In my opinion, get the real Pentax adapter and if you find you don't like using M42 then you can sell it on with little loss.
01-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hmmm, thank you very much for the advice. I think that its probably not a bad idea to invest in the genuine adapter. I am having a little trouble finding it though. Also, is there a difference in the Industar-50 50mm F3.5 m39 and m42 models? and if I were to get the m39, I would have to get the m42 adapter and then an adapter for m42 to m39, correct? (I think I find the m39 ones to be a little cooler looking)

01-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #5

Yes you can get a M42 to M39 adapter ring. Hopefully that will go onto a genuine Pentax M42 adapter to save you any potential headaches.