Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Old Fields, WV
Posts: 56
Advice On Walk Around Lens for Travel Photography

Well I ordered the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 now I am wanting something for general use like travel, indoors and street use. So far I have looked at the Sigma New 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro HSM, Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM (Art) and the Pentax DA HD 20-40 f2.8-4. Any opinions? I realize the Sigma 18035 isn't out yet for Pentax.

01-17-2014, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,993
QuoteOriginally posted by WVRICK Quote
Well I ordered the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 now I am wanting something for general use like travel, indoors and street use. So far I have looked at the Sigma New 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro HSM, Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM (Art) and the Pentax DA HD 20-40 f2.8-4. Any opinions? I realize the Sigma 18035 isn't out yet for Pentax.
I think the 17-70mm is the only one that fits the bill as a true walkaround lens, unless you plan on shooting in rainy conditions often with the 20-40mm.

It's a very nice lens:
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 Contemporary - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-17-2014, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,290
DA 18-135? WR and covers most of the range needed for general touristy stuff. Much lighter than the 70-200 if you are walking much. The 20-40 looks interesting for street but I don't have any experience with it. The Sigma 17-70 would make a nice match for your 70-200 though....
01-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Old Fields, WV
Posts: 56
Original Poster
I have the 18-135 but wanted something faster and with better IQ, not that this is a bad lens I just want really sharp shots. I am leaning toward the Sigma Contemporary since it fills the missing range of the 70-200, but the reviews on the 18-35 are amazing. I do have a Pentax DA 50 f1.4 as well. Hmmm, it will be interesting to see the other comments that come in but Adam is making a lot of sense with his recommendation.

01-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Old Fields, WV
Posts: 56
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
DA 18-135? WR and covers most of the range needed for general touristy stuff. Much lighter than the 70-200 if you are walking much. The 20-40 looks interesting for street but I don't have any experience with it. The Sigma 17-70 would make a nice match for your 70-200 though....
I keep thinking the 20-40 looks interesting and it is WR which is a plus since I will be vacationing in damp areas like the Netherlands, Ireland, Scotland and other damp places. But then there is a part of me that still agrees with Adam and the 17-70 recommendation. Is there a good way to protect a lens from drizzle?
01-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,782
If you're carrying a 70-200, how about the Tamron 17-50? Mind you it doesn't test that much better than an 18-135, there isn't much that tests better than the 18-135, but it is faster. My wife prefers it to the 18-135.

01-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Old Fields, WV
Posts: 56
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you're carrying a 70-200, how about the Tamron 17-50? Mind you it doesn't test that much better than an 18-135, there isn't much that tests better than the 18-135, but it is faster. My wife prefers it to the 18-135.
Checking it now, thanks. After the input and reviews I am thinking the 18-135 might fill the bill, since I already own it, and save me cash for better eats on the vacation.
01-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,290
QuoteOriginally posted by WVRICK Quote
Is there a good way to protect a lens from drizzle?
Despite a WR camera and a WR lens I still don't feel right exposing them to actual rain/drizzle. And I'm in Oregon so we do get drizzle. Actually we get 5 sunny days a year but those are scheduled only when I'm at work
I use an op/tech sling strap which lets the camera hang at my waist on the right side, which is under my long rain coat. So unless I'm actually shooting it is covered up. So, process is lift camera up, focus and shoot and then back under rain coat. And my big floppy hat keeps the wet off even when shooting. And the strap allows the camera to hang lens down so any water on it should run off without running into the lens.

Just because it it is WR does not make me feel compelled to test it.
01-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Kozlok's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,668
If you already have the 18-135, then case closed! The 17-70 is slightly better, a little faster, and not WR. But in the present case, the Pentax is free, so it's the obvious choice. My personal favorite walking around set is the 18-135, my Sigma 30/1.4 for when I want shallow DOF or low light, and my 70-200 Tamron. I usually have the DA15 in the bag for when the sun is blasting right at me, and the 35 Ltd. is in if I'm going out for flowers. For vacations, it's just the 18-135 + Sigma 30/1.4. Super team.
01-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Old Fields, WV
Posts: 56
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Despite a WR camera and a WR lens I still don't feel right exposing them to actual rain/drizzle. And I'm in Oregon so we do get drizzle. Actually we get 5 sunny days a year but those are scheduled only when I'm at work
I use an op/tech sling strap which lets the camera hang at my waist on the right side, which is under my long rain coat. So unless I'm actually shooting it is covered up. So, process is lift camera up, focus and shoot and then back under rain coat. And my big floppy hat keeps the wet off even when shooting. And the strap allows the camera to hang lens down so any water on it should run off without running into the lens.

Just because it it is WR does not make me feel compelled to test it.
I tend to do the same as you, rain coat and big hat. It might just be us but I never really felt like testing the WR thing, it just makes me feel better if I accidentally get water on the camera and lens.
01-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Old Fields, WV
Posts: 56
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
If you already have the 18-135, then case closed! The 17-70 is slightly better, a little faster, and not WR. But in the present case, the Pentax is free, so it's the obvious choice. My personal favorite walking around set is the 18-135, my Sigma 30/1.4 for when I want shallow DOF or low light, and my 70-200 Tamron. I usually have the DA15 in the bag for when the sun is blasting right at me, and the 35 Ltd. is in if I'm going out for flowers. For vacations, it's just the 18-135 + Sigma 30/1.4. Super team.
Yeah and already paid for is always good. Maybe it is just cabin fever making me shop like a fiend.
01-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,442
QuoteOriginally posted by WVRICK Quote
Is there a good way to protect a lens from drizzle?
Op/Tech 9001132 18in SLR Rainsleeve for Cameras 9001132

There must be others.
01-17-2014, 06:37 PM   #15
Emperor and Senpai
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,136
I just had my 18-135 out in the rain with the K5 in San Luis Potosi Mexico last Sunday evening. It worked well, and even at night I still got decent shots of the buildings and inside some of the churches. It sees way more use than my Tamron 17-50.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dc, hsm, k-mount, lens for travel, pentax, pentax lens, sigma, slr lens, travel
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestion for a fast prime walk around lens Borislav Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 26 10-26-2013 06:11 AM
Advice: walk around zoom (17-70 or 18-135?) and a prime cletus1jr Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 05-27-2013 01:28 PM
Can't decide on the optimal walk around lens Deepbyrne Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 34 11-21-2012 11:27 PM
Walk around lens upgrade advice svensimon Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 14 08-30-2012 03:08 AM
Advice on a walk-around body EsBee Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 07-10-2009 11:07 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:56 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top