Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #61

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Remember that one of the most important tests of a lens is consistent sharpness across the frame, and many examples of the 55-300 won't pass that test at every focal length. But that's true for other models and brands as well. That doesn't mean you might not get an excellent photo of a bird or animal in the center of the frame, but it might mean that you'll simply not be able to photograph some other subjects. Just make sure you can easily and economically return any lens you buy if you're not fully satisfied with it.
To true on the returning, buying a used lens leaves me with holding it if I dont like it.
looking for the WR version, cant trust the photos in adds because they use the same one for all the adds lol. Looks like it will run me about 450$
I will likely order the camera and lens Monday if the budget is on track

DeWolf

01-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
To true on the returning, buying a used lens leaves me with holding it if I dont like it.
looking for the WR version, cant trust the photos in adds because they use the same one for all the adds lol. Looks like it will run me about 450$
I will likely order the camera and lens Monday if the budget is on track

DeWolf
I was lucky to buy my WR during the $400 holiday sale, but unlucky to get two copies that underperformed my DA. Now the retailer has no more in stock for me to try, so I'll get a refund.
01-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This photo was taken Wide open(4.5) at 190 on the the 55-300 WR. I'm guessing I was 20-30 feet away and the fence in the background was about the same distance. This is why I like the 55-300 so well, F/4.5 is fairly fast and very sharp IMO at 190 and i would be nervous about snow but not with the WR. It gets softer going to 300 but not by much. It also lets you get pretty close IIRC 1:4 ratio. I fell HARD on this lens and damage the zoom but it still works I need to send it to criscam I was lucky and CC insurance is going to cover it.

Really the big sigmas are not something most people are going to want to take everywhere, and certainly not walk with it around your neck. The 55-300 is a little heavy but not bad and collapses down nice and small. Also the big sigmas take huge expensive filters and the 55-300 takes a reasonably small 58mm. I've actually got a 150-500 OS on order to test out if it is as sharp at 500 as the 55-300 is at 300 I will be amazed. I had a old 50-500 and the contrast was horrible, everything just looks muddy even if it was close. I won't feel bad about sending it back if it performs the same, to me $900 is a lot of money even though it's the cheapest 500mm you can get I think. I have a 1960's 400/5.6 Tele-Takumar I got for $100 that old gem is just super sharp but it has bad CA if you don't stop down. Ok starting to ramble now sorry.
01-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #64

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToyTank Quote
This photo was taken Wide open(4.5) at 190 on the the 55-300 WR. I'm guessing I was 20-30 feet away and the fence in the background was about the same distance. This is why I like the 55-300 so well, F/4.5 is fairly fast and very sharp IMO at 190 and i would be nervous about snow but not with the WR. It gets softer going to 300 but not by much. It also lets you get pretty close IIRC 1:4 ratio. I fell HARD on this lens and damage the zoom but it still works I need to send it to criscam I was lucky and CC insurance is going to cover it.

Really the big sigmas are not something most people are going to want to take everywhere, and certainly not walk with it around your neck. The 55-300 is a little heavy but not bad and collapses down nice and small. Also the big sigmas take huge expensive filters and the 55-300 takes a reasonably small 58mm. I've actually got a 150-500 OS on order to test out if it is as sharp at 500 as the 55-300 is at 300 I will be amazed. I had a old 50-500 and the contrast was horrible, everything just looks muddy even if it was close. I won't feel bad about sending it back if it performs the same, to me $900 is a lot of money even though it's the cheapest 500mm you can get I think. I have a 1960's 400/5.6 Tele-Takumar I got for $100 that old gem is just super sharp but it has bad CA if you don't stop down. Ok starting to ramble now sorry.
absolutely beautiful pic < dog lover and owner here also>
Yup think Il keep looking for that 55-300 wr. only thing amazon has thats WR is the one for KAF mounts, which might work, but might have limited function.
I did find the camera on B&H for 699$, the lense $449
wow, lovely pic, really.

DeWolf

01-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep an eye open for a used 55-300. The Marketplace here is the best.
01-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Thanks for the kind words, it's one of my favorites as well.

The KAF mount is right, it just means it's auto focus. The 3 versions of the Pentax 55-300 (DA, DA L, and WR) optically are the same(except minor difference is coatings on WR version). The DAL is a budget version with plastic mount and no quick shift focus and no hood. The WR is the new version that is weather resistant(WR) and has new HD coatings that make very minor improvements to contrast, ghosting, flare, etc.

I see the DAL 55-300 available for <$200 used all the time. Really you could get a used DAL 55-300 and a used K30 for around $500 bucks and you'd have a pretty nice set up.
01-30-2014, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #67

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words, it's one of my favorites as well.

The KAF mount is right, it just means it's auto focus. The 3 versions of the Pentax 55-300 (DA, DA L, and WR) optically are the same(except minor difference is coatings on WR version). The DAL is a budget version with plastic mount and no quick shift focus and no hood. The WR is the new version that is weather resistant(WR) and has new HD coatings that make very minor improvements to contrast, ghosting, flare, etc.

I see the DAL 55-300 available for <$200 used all the time. Really you could get a used DAL 55-300 and a used K30 for around $500 bucks and you'd have a pretty nice set up.
Im just a bit concerned about the plastic mount, and the WR status. As they say in Florida, if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes. If that KAF will work then I can order that along with the K5IIs.
Was hoping to see Amazon drop a few mucks off the price, as they are the only ones offering a drop and spill warranty add on. The last 2 years of diabetes has left me with nerve damage < neuropathy> to my hands, I think a drop and spill accidental damage warranty is in my best interest lol. I decided to go with all new so that if I am not happy with something I can return it. I may not have all the funds I need right now, but I am working on that I have enjoyed getting back into photography a great deal, Its peaceful for me. And I am learning a lot for the folks here.
And, I feel inclined to share with you, one of my favourites My little dusk http://home.comcast.net/~duskywolf/dusk9745.JPG

Thanks

DeWolf
01-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Very nice shot! I also enjoy it very much and is a hobby that encourages activity and being social both of which are good for one's health

There is a thread that just shares pet photos some really great photos and good people there if you want to look

01-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #69

Original Poster
wow lol, 349 pages, man thats gona take a while.
How did I not see this before now.

DeWolf
02-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #70

Original Poster
wow lol, 349 pages, man thats gona take a while.
How did I not see this before now.

DeWolf
Thanks to all who reccomended the DA 55-300

The new Camera arrived, I got the K5IIs without the low pass filter and the DA 55-300 for a song considering the going price. $699 for the camera, $409 for the lens, all WR.
I can say the clarity is nicer, and the colours more accurate. The ISO noise is reduced and more even. My only gripe is the sloooowww AF. The K30 was brutally fast, always thought it was going the shoot the lens right out.
This one seeks a lot even in daylight, but thanks to the quickshift I can get it close and let the AF take over. All in all, very happy with this pkg. and the screen is much easier to see in daylight.

sample pics. the gull is 100% crop no sharpening, no noise reduction. same with dog.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~duskywolf/nppGull.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~duskywolf/dog.jpg

Thanks again folks

DeWolf
02-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Thanks to all who reccomended the DA 55-300

The new Camera arrived, I got the K5IIs without the low pass filter and the DA 55-300 for a song considering the going price. $699 for the camera, $409 for the lens, all WR.
I can say the clarity is nicer, and the colours more accurate. The ISO noise is reduced and more even. My only gripe is the sloooowww AF. The K30 was brutally fast, always thought it was going the shoot the lens right out.
This one seeks a lot even in daylight, but thanks to the quickshift I can get it close and let the AF take over. All in all, very happy with this pkg. and the screen is much easier to see in daylight.

sample pics. the gull is 100% crop no sharpening, no noise reduction. same with dog.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~duskywolf/nppGull.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~duskywolf/dog.jpg

Thanks again folks

DeWolf
Hey dewolf glad you like the set up, I really can't wait to get my 55-300 back from criscam(or hear it's totaled). I think having the LCD screen on top with the new camera would be very nice as well. The K30 feels nice, but I bet that magnesium tank feels better

To me the gull looks pretty good, that type of behind the subject lighting is tough and will always loose some contrast even with a hood. IIRC that's rim lighting. The dog looks pretty good to me to, maybe a little noise in the bokeh. I shoot pretty high ISO when I need to, but in good lighting sticking to 200 or 400 is best. Nice shots thanks for sharing!

BTW I think Adobe Camera Raw is free and has all the great development tools that lightroom has. I know you like getting it out of the camera, but it's pretty amazing what you can do if you shoot RAW and develop it yourself. That really something I need to spend more time learning.
02-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter

I sent my damaged 55-300 to CRIS a while ago. They fixed it and calibrated it, and it's better than ever. I'm also much more careful now...
02-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #73

Original Poster
Hey dewolf glad you like the set up, I really can't wait to get my 55-300 back from criscam(or hear it's totaled). I think having the LCD screen on top with the new camera would be very nice as well. The K30 feels nice, but I bet that magnesium tank feels better

To me the gull looks pretty good, that type of behind the subject lighting is tough and will always loose some contrast even with a hood. IIRC that's rim lighting. The dog looks pretty good to me to, maybe a little noise in the bokeh. I shoot pretty high ISO when I need to, but in good lighting sticking to 200 or 400 is best. Nice shots thanks for sharing!

BTW I think Adobe Camera Raw is free and has all the great development tools that lightroom has. I know you like getting it out of the camera, but it's pretty amazing what you can do if you shoot RAW and develop it yourself. That really something I need to spend more time learning.
Actually I do shoot Raw. All the time, I just convert the DNG to JPG after developing. I didn't remove and ISO noise in those pics, I believe the dog was 800 ISO due to heavy overcast. And yes, Back lighting in Florida is a way of life lol. I never use a hood, I used to, but I don't usually have an issue without one, I would rather a collapsible rubber one anyway.
The gap-less LCD is a nice improvement as well as being able to choose focal point from the dial on the body. There is certainly more detail than my K30 could provide without sharpening a lot, usually over 100%. I have had some shots with this camera needing 50% sharpening but the more I refocus manually, the less i need to. I haven't done any focusing tests yet, perhaps tonight.
Thanks

DeWolf

---------- Post added 02-12-14 at 02:28 PM ----------

BTW, I have CS2, it seems to open DNG files in a separate sub process of Photoshop. I don't know if Camera Raw is something else, but I cant find it for my old CS2

DeWolf
02-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #74
Pentaxian

BTW, I have CS2, it seems to open DNG files in a separate sub process of Photoshop. I don't know if Camera Raw is something else, but I cant find it for my old CS2

DeWolf

I don't know if CS2 includes a version of lightroom? I've actually never used photoshop and only recently started using lightroom so I'm not sure of the cross functionality. I've only been shooting raw for 6 months or so.
02-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #75

Original Poster
I don't know if CS2 includes a version of lightroom? I've actually never used photoshop and only recently started using lightroom so I'm not sure of the cross functionality. I've only been shooting raw for 6 months or so.
the version I have does have lightroom, but I find it daunting just to find the folder and images I want to edit, and then it wants to create a catalog, I gets quite confusing.

BTW, considering a Neutral density filter for the highlights i often get in a scene. Any ideas ?

DeWolf