Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The usual test is a ruler at a 45 degree angle.
If you're testing at a distance such that the ruler would be very tiny, the (huge) wall works better. It won't tell you if you're front vs. back focusing (especially if you don't follow up with manual focusing tests), but it will give you a pretty good idea if you're accurately focusing. Also, you'll need multiple rulers accurately aligned across the frame to test whether the lens is focusing accurately for all parts of the image, whereas you only need one wall, as long as it fills the frame

Ideally I'd like the 10 story building across the (several) highways/roads from me to board up all their windows, and paint a resolution test chart spanning all those floors on the side, but that's probably not going to happen.

Last edited by tibbitts; 01-26-2014 at 08:40 PM.
01-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #47
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
If you're testing at a distance such that the ruler would be very tiny, the (huge) wall works better. It won't tell you if you're front vs. back focusing (especially if you don't follow up with manual focusing tests), but it will give you a pretty good idea if you're accurately focusing. Also, you'll need multiple rulers accurately aligned across the frame to test whether the lens is focusing accurately for all parts of the image, whereas you only need one wall, as long as it fills the frame

Ideally I'd like the 10 story building across the (several) highways/roads from me to board up all their windows, and paint a resolution test chart spanning all those floors on the side, but that's probably not going to happen.
well i wont have to worry about sharp images.
I managed to drop the camera while getting out of the car. Stap caught on the door latch and I lost hold. Fell onto the curb of the parking lot and snapped the lens off, taking the entire k-mount with it.
Chriscam estimates 250$, just is not worth more than half what I paid for it..
Thanks for all the help folks, but alas, ..

DeWolf
01-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Bummer. I would think a K-30 is worth $250, though.
01-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #49
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Bummer. I would think a K-30 is worth $250, though.
I only paid $450 for it. And according to Chriscam, the warranty is now invalid due to it dropping. I had 5 months left on the warranty. The lens would also have to be replaced. So yea, all in all not a viable option.
I have no clue what I am going to do now. That was the best part of my days taking pics.

DeWolf

01-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
well i wont have to worry about sharp images.
I managed to drop the camera while getting out of the car. Stap caught on the door latch and I lost hold. Fell onto the curb of the parking lot and snapped the lens off, taking the entire k-mount with it.
Chriscam estimates 250$, just is not worth more than half what I paid for it..
Thanks for all the help folks, but alas, ..

DeWolf
Sorry to hear that, I've broken a lens falling on it but was lucky enough the K30 at least survived. If that happened to me, I'd spend the $1000 you where going to spend on the lens and look for a bundle deal with K5II or K3.

Another option K30 or K50 bundles 18-55 and 50-200 WR lenses(make sure they are WR) The 18-55 is a pretty good lens and the 50-200 isn't the greatest but IMO would be better than the budget sigma or tamron.

These bundles are <$800 and if you look around and maybe wait a while(check slickdeals and pentax price watch) you could probably get it for less. Really used is always an option. B&H, Adorama, KEH sell used gear KEH used gear always has 6 month warranty, not sure about others. Sorry again man, I hope it works out for you.
01-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #51
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by ToyTank Quote
Sorry to hear that, I've broken a lens falling on it but was lucky enough the K30 at least survived. If that happened to me, I'd spend the $1000 you where going to spend on the lens and look for a bundle deal with K5II or K3.

Another option K30 or K50 bundles 18-55 and 50-200 WR lenses(make sure they are WR) The 18-55 is a pretty good lens and the 50-200 isn't the greatest but IMO would be better than the budget sigma or tamron.

These bundles are <$800 and if you look around and maybe wait a while(check slickdeals and pentax price watch) you could probably get it for less. Really used is always an option. B&H, Adorama, KEH sell used gear KEH used gear always has 6 month warranty, not sure about others. Sorry again man, I hope it works out for you.
I appreciate that info. It looks like the k3 is definitely out of my price range, But the k5 bundle might be ok, but I really dont want less than a 250mm for what I do.
The prices vary wildly. Itl take some time to scrounge up a deal I can cut with a decent 250 lens, but the K5II seems to be te one to go for. I like the idea of the autofucus being changed, because parks I shoot in are heavily forested and low light.
I will look about for a K5II with a 250, and review the available 250's separately and maybe buy the body separate.
Thanks again mate
I will reply when I find something

DeWolf
01-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #52
dewolf

leaning heavily towards the K-5 IIs, for the extra detail. but will need to fins a good < decent> 250-300 mm to go with it for 400 bucks. still shopping.
I was looking at the Nikon d7000, but the lens prices really were awful, and I was only considering it because of the faster AF

DeWolf

01-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #53
dewolf

how about
Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

to be honest I just don't see many options. It has better scores than the sigma 70-200 apo-dg i had

DeWolf
01-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #54
Veteran Member

The pentax 55-300 is well within your price. The WR edition is a bit over your budget. That is nice lens, much better than the budget sigma or tamron. It will also hold more value than the Sigma or Tamron if you ever want to sell it. You may also get some cash from ebay for your broken body. Good luck I hope you find a good deal.
01-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #55
Veteran Member

how about
Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

to be honest I just don't see many options. It has better scores than the sigma 70-200 apo-dg i had

DeWolf

I have that sigma lens, and it is pretty good, but one gripe is the focus breathing is really bad, That is if I shoot a bird 25 feet away I won't be able to get anywhere near 250mm. Most zooms are that way but the cheaper sigma and tamrons seem really bad. That lens is sharp and has nice contrast though it is pretty slow at the long end but with that wide angle it is about the best all in one walk around available especially for the price.

If you get a chance to check a lens out, zoom it to the long end and focus in and out you can tell how much the FOV changes and you only really get 250mm or whatever if you shoot the mountains or the moon or something else at infinity. I was pretty disappointed trying to shoot birds maybe 20-30 feet away and the sigma 18-250 doesn't get near as close an old 200/f4 prime I was using before.
01-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #56
dewolf

I have that sigma lens, and it is pretty good, but one gripe is the focus breathing is really bad, That is if I shoot a bird 25 feet away I won't be able to get anywhere near 250mm. Most zooms are that way but the cheaper sigma and tamrons seem really bad. That lens is sharp and has nice contrast though it is pretty slow at the long end but with that wide angle it is about the best all in one walk around available especially for the price.

If you get a chance to check a lens out, zoom it to the long end and focus in and out you can tell how much the FOV changes and you only really get 250mm or whatever if you shoot the mountains or the moon or something else at infinity. I was pretty disappointed trying to shoot birds maybe 20-30 feet away and the sigma 18-250 doesn't get near as close an old 200/f4 prime I was using before.
noticed a sigma 170-500 used on the forum
Sigma 170-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

they want 500$, perhaps i can sell something to make the diff, its got good scores

DeWolf
01-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can get a replacement used K30 pretty inexpensively. A K5IIs is a bit more, but within budget, I think.

Get the 55-300. It's the best bang for the buck. Used they're around $300ish, less if you're patient...
01-29-2014, 01:40 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I agree with TER-OR the 55-300 is probably the BEST lens in your budget. I'd spend a bit more and get the WR.

The Sigma 170-500 is huge heavy, I forget something like 4 pounds makes a big difference if you hand hold alot not something you will want to take with you everywhere like a normal lens. IIRC it's only like 250mm when focused closer than 30 feet. Sorry I should find the graph it's floating around.
01-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #59
dewolf

I agree with TER-OR the 55-300 is probably the BEST lens in your budget. I'd spend a bit more and get the WR.

The Sigma 170-500 is huge heavy, I forget something like 4 pounds makes a big difference if you hand hold alot not something you will want to take with you everywhere like a normal lens. IIRC it's only like 250mm when focused closer than 30 feet. Sorry I should find the graph it's floating around.
seems I had completely overlooked the 55-300 Pentax lens.
I checked the forums review of it and it gives it a 8.4 rating for sharpness.
The 170-500 has a 9.7.
But I must say the exapmle pics on the forum for the 55-300 are pretty stunning. Everyone and anyone can have an opinion, but those pics are great proof of what the lens can do.

I know the sharpness drops off at the higher zoom values, so really, what is a 1.2 difference going to mean.
I will have to carefully read all the reviews, but I really want a Pentax, WR, fully compatible lens. So unless something changes I will likely go with the 55-300. <Sure wish the 18-250 was affordable lol.>
but poverty is the mother of invention....
Weight isn't a real issue as far as a lens. I have a nice tripod, and I would only use a long lens like the 500 for wildlife, and birds in flight type of thing. But a matching Pentax lens really is my hope.
Definitely decided on the Pentax K5IIS, and amazon offers a drop and spill warranty for 4 years for only 69$, a must for me

You folks are a real blessing.
Thanks again

DeWolf
01-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #60
Pentaxian

seems I had completely overlooked the 55-300 Pentax lens.
I checked the forums review of it and it gives it a 8.4 rating for sharpness.
The 170-500 has a 9.7.
But I must say the exapmle pics on the forum for the 55-300 are pretty stunning. Everyone and anyone can have an opinion, but those pics are great proof of what the lens can do.

I know the sharpness drops off at the higher zoom values, so really, what is a 1.2 difference going to mean.
I will have to carefully read all the reviews, but I really want a Pentax, WR, fully compatible lens. So unless something changes I will likely go with the 55-300. <Sure wish the 18-250 was affordable lol.>
but poverty is the mother of invention....
Weight isn't a real issue as far as a lens. I have a nice tripod, and I would only use a long lens like the 500 for wildlife, and birds in flight type of thing. But a matching Pentax lens really is my hope.
Definitely decided on the Pentax K5IIS, and amazon offers a drop and spill warranty for 4 years for only 69$, a must for me

You folks are a real blessing.
Thanks again

DeWolf
Remember that one of the most important tests of a lens is consistent sharpness across the frame, and many examples of the 55-300 won't pass that test at every focal length. But that's true for other models and brands as well. That doesn't mean you might not get an excellent photo of a bird or animal in the center of the frame, but it might mean that you'll simply not be able to photograph some other subjects. Just make sure you can easily and economically return any lens you buy if you're not fully satisfied with it.