Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is general lack of sharpness a valid reason for warranty action

This is essentially a moot point because I'm at just over a year of purchase, but I am very dissatisfied with my 18-55 non-WR kit lens that came with my K-01. It is just not very sharp. The 50-200 lens that I got with it is great. I'm really disappointed because otherwise the 18-55 would probably be the most useful lens that I have.

Had I realized this earlier could I have taken action or do you just have to suck it up when you get one of the few percent that miss QC?

01-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

My experience with the older version of these lenses is that they should perform similar - actually the 18-55 should possibly be a little better. Certainly the 50-200 shouldn't be noticeably better.

Have you tested to see if you need to make a focus adjustment in your body for the 18-55? Is the lens not sharp at any distances or in any part of the frame, even if you focus manually on the lcd?
01-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Have you tested to see if you need to make a focus adjustment in your body for the 18-55?
There is no lens adjustment in the K-01 as it uses CDAF which needs no calibration.

@millsware: Can you post links to a couple of full-sized images which show the issue you're having?
01-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
There is no lens adjustment in the K-01 as it uses CDAF which needs no calibration.

@millsware: Can you post links to a couple of full-sized images which show the issue you're having?
Thanks for the correction - I missed the K01 reference.

Something is probably off if a 50-200 obviously outperforms an 18-55 at 50mm.

01-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an earlier version of the 18-55 that came with my K10D. It's really a pretty good lens if stopped down a little and still surprises me sometimes. It's at it's best at the wider end of the zoom range IMO but certainly acceptable throughout. My biggest gripe has been it's tendency for flare. I have found it difficult to see much difference between my kit lens and DA40 Limited at f/8 in a landscape shot if the light is good. In low light and wide open aperture, it's not too great but usually the shots can be made better with a little extra help in PP. I would think it should at least match the IQ of your 50-200. Posting some shots with the EXIF would be helpful.