Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2008, 12:53 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I'd like to see a comparison made between the 35 and 43 in terms of IQ. If the IQ on the 35 is noticeably better, then that might sway me in the direction of the 35. The only issue with that is that the 43 has an aperture ring, which means that I can use it with my K1000 and the 35 doesn't. This would mess up my prime lens roadmap, as well, as I was thinking of eventually adding the DAs 21 and 70 to the 43, in addition to a dedicated macro prime in the range of 90-105 (whichever one I can get the best deal on).

Maybe I'll just stick with the roadmap I've already mapped out. Selling lenses has gotten kind of old.

Heather (who wishes she had gotten an LBA vaccination before buying the first lens)
Heather,

I don't won't to sway you in either direction, but for me, as I already said, it's a no brainer: a walk around lens with 1:1 capability makes it for me. I have tried the 35 ltd on the MZ-S last night, and as far as I could see, the lens seems to be ff; I could see a little vignetting, but nothing very dramatic. I guess I have to throw a film in the camera to know for sure...

Appart for its mechanical and optical qualities, what I really like about this lens is that it is very versatile (in either direction.) The little hour that I spent time with yesterday made me realize that this lens (at least for me) will make me more creative and try out some new point of views before I hit the shutter. That really does it for me!

Anyway, I don't have the 43 ltd, but I have the 31 ltd and the FA 50, and as soon as I can, I'm going to make some comparison shots and post them here...

@Frank: your 100% crop photo has some severe CA, is that normal. Like I said, I couldn't even see a hint of CA in heavy contrast backlit scenes (which for me is a real bonus...!)

@Nostatic: you should try the 70 ltd as a lens for more tele (that is another sweet lens!)

As for me: I think this lens has cured me from LBA altogether. Now I only have to sell off some 20 lenses which I don't use much (and of which I'm pretty sure I won't be using any time soon )...

04-12-2008, 12:55 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
That flower shot is the one that does for me. Da 35mm macro... I wish I have the money to get this lens!
Blush, blush. Txs very much!
04-12-2008, 01:06 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote

...I have tried the 35 ltd on the MZ-S last night, and as far as I could see, the lens seems to be ff; I could see a little vignetting, but nothing very dramatic. I guess I have to throw a film in the camera to know for sure...

It would be sweet if this lens is indeed FF compatible. That's one thing that keeps me from getting one. At less than $400, this lens is very enticing. I guess I have to sell my Tokina to justify the purchase . Please, please let it be FF compatible so I place my order . Thank you for the effort, Marc.
04-12-2008, 04:12 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
It would be sweet if this lens is indeed FF compatible. That's one thing that keeps me from getting one. At less than $400, this lens is very enticing. I guess I have to sell my Tokina to justify the purchase . Please, please let it be FF compatible so I place my order . Thank you for the effort, Marc.
No sweat Aegi! I'm going to load my MZ-S with Velvia, and going to try it out... I'll keep you updated (but I honestly think it will cover ff...)

04-12-2008, 05:13 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This lens keeps surprising me:

taken yesterday evening in Tungsten light, 30s exposure @ f/13 :

Here is my first deception: f-number goes as far as f/19. Don't know why this is but if you need broad DOF, maybe f/19 will not be enough...
04-12-2008, 07:46 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Beautiful shot. Hum, which mode did you use? If you have a grip, you might want to try to change it on the grip instead. For still image like this, I usually do focus stacking, but I just want to make sure the lens can go to f/22. Hope other DA 35 users can confirm this problem.
04-12-2008, 08:56 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
According to the Pentax site it goes to f/22.
04-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I bet if you gave that flower shot to a girl you were courting, she would love it even more than getting the flower itself.

04-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #39
Veteran Member

@Nostatic: you should try the 70 ltd as a lens for more tele (that is another sweet lens!)

As for me: I think this lens has cured me from LBA altogether. Now I only have to sell off some 20 lenses which I don't use much (and of which I'm pretty sure I won't be using any time soon )...
Naw, I love my 77 for that. The only downside is not having quick shift, but the images are worth that very minor annoyance. The AF is solid so not really an issue.

I shot some portraits for a project yesterday with the 77...stellare as usual. But then immediately put the 35 back on the camera. I don't think that LBA has been cured, but definitely in remission for the moment.
04-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #40
Veteran Member

@Frank: your 100% crop photo has some severe CA, is that normal. Like I said, I couldn't even see a hint of CA in heavy contrast backlit scenes (which for me is a real bonus...!)
)...
I did see CAs in some photos. Actually when shooting at the same target w/ same light condition, sometimes the photos come out w/ slight CA, sometimes they don't. Kinda strange. But it's far far better than those from DFA50/100 macros. Will show some samples on Monday when I'm back to work.
04-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I wish the DA70 was a DA75 so I wouldnt have to make a choice between it and the FA77. While the 7mm isnt enough to warrant owning both, it is enough to make you think which one you want to part the money with to buy. With the FA31 and DA35, for me the DA wins out because the IQ is very close, the macro is HUGE to me, the $$ spoke as well so it was a no brainer. The 70/77 choice will be a harder one I think.

Last edited by Buddha Jones; 04-12-2008 at 12:12 PM.
04-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
Beautiful shot. Hum, which mode did you use? If you have a grip, you might want to try to change it on the grip instead. For still image like this, I usually do focus stacking, but I just want to make sure the lens can go to f/22. Hope other DA 35 users can confirm this problem.
Ok, correct that: it goes to f/22. I was in Av and the camera did not let me change the f number after f/19 because I was already at 30" shutter speed. I checked it now: f/22 without a problem...

What do you mean with focus stacking, Frank: making various photos with changing minor focus, just to have the right one?
04-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I wish the DA70 was a DA75 so I wouldnt have to make a choice between it and the FA77. While the 7mm isnt enough to warrant owning both, it is enough to make you think which one you want to part the money with to buy. With the FA31 and DA35, for me the DA wins out because the IQ is very close, the macro is HUGE to me, the $$ spoke as well so it was a no brainer. The 70/77 choice will be a harder one I think.
Buddha: I think that is a no brainer too: the DA 70 ltd of course (I'm already in love with the 21/35/70 threesome...)
04-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I bet if you gave that flower shot to a girl you were courting, she would love it even more than getting the flower itself.
Txs Buddha... Will remember that for the next time I meet a girl that I like.
04-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #45
Veteran Member

a no-brainer? Not sure I'd go that far...I find the 77 to be a mgic lens