Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Not to add even more LBA to already LBA'd thread, but if I might show a close-focus example of the 31 to muddy the waters a little more for everyone - hee hee!

Just had to represent the 31 afterall

Nice pics from the 35 btw Marc, you use it well! And nice cat there Frank! Though I'm sure it took some brightening
Nice closeup by the FA31, but you'd never go this close w/ the FA31 alone

04-13-2008, 08:09 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Dare I say it...

PWNED!!!!
04-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
nice photo frank!
how far is the lens from the stamen? must be awful tight, i'd be worried about getting pollen on the lens :P
04-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #79
MSM
Veteran Member

Ok, I feel myself slipping in, giving in to LBA. This thread has worn my resistance down. Great shots to everyone.

Frank: that cat shot...awesome!!

Marc: Are you an attorney? Because you make a great case for the DA35 macro.

I've been trying to decide on the FA 31, 35, 43, 50 and now the DA 35!! I have decided to try to stick to the limiteds for the primes which gets me down to the FA31,43 and the DA35. I really have enjoyed lurking around and getting everyone's opinions but it just makes things more difficult.

Can someone post some pictures say of children indoors without flash with the DA 35? I am looking for a walk around prime that could work with typical indoor home lighting. (not say a bar or museum or cave). Mostly for family shots. Also, it would be nice to take outdoors for (somewhat) wide angle shots. I think that I would use the 1:1 macro feature only occasionally but would love to have a lens with the ability for near macro range (tight flower shots as opposed to the under side of a stamen). I have an FA 77 limited which I love. But, I have noticed at times that I try to get too close to a subject and have to back up, which is a pain. Indoors the 77mm gets a little tight. I thought about buying a bigger house but thought a new lens made more sense.

It may come down to the FA 43 and the DA 35. (31 may be too rich for me at this time and it seems that the DA 35 is at least on par if not slightly better)

please feel free to throw in a few more lens suggestions to make my decision more difficult (actually please don't)

Thanks,
Mark

04-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
nice photo frank!
how far is the lens from the stamen? must be awful tight, i'd be worried about getting pollen on the lens :P
Yeah, it was pretty close, had to push the hood in

Here is another one:

And here is 100% crop of the focused area:

I really love the 3D feel this lens gives
04-13-2008, 10:25 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Frank: that cat shot...awesome!!

Can someone post some pictures say of children indoors without flash with the DA 35? I am looking for a walk around prime that could work with typical indoor home lighting. (not say a bar or museum or cave). Mostly for family shots. Also, it would be nice to take outdoors for (somewhat) wide angle shots. I think that I would use the 1:1 macro feature only occasionally but would love to have a lens with the ability for near macro range (tight flower shots as opposed to the under side of a stamen). I have an FA 77 limited which I love. But, I have noticed at times that I try to get too close to a subject and have to back up, which is a pain. Indoors the 77mm gets a little tight. I thought about buying a bigger house but thought a new lens made more sense.

It may come down to the FA 43 and the DA 35. (31 may be too rich for me at this time and it seems that the DA 35 is at least on par if not slightly better)

please feel free to throw in a few more lens suggestions to make my decision more difficult (actually please don't)

Thanks,
Mark
Thanks Mark

I haven't used the lens on my kids for indoor photos yet, but I got better lenses (FA31, 43 or 77) for that. The DA35 is more or less a do-it-all lens, great for walkabout and some closeups.

I've used many lenses on street cats, but I've never got as close as this one:

100% crop on the eye:
04-14-2008, 06:05 AM   #82

Thatīs INSANLY sharp. I must get that lens, no doubt about it.

04-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #83
Veteran Member

One more day... just one more day and it will be mine!

Hey Frank, you use a Katz Eye screen on your bodies don't you? Do you think you could get focussing that good on those flowers w/o it or was that strictly the cameras focussing?
04-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Marc,

Thanks for the compliments. The one you picked as one of your favorites is also one of my favorites. As for Emily the cat, she is as sweet as she looks, but also has a rather mischevious side to her, which makes her fun to be around.

One way I could still get the DA35 and have a low light option would be to either use the M50/1.4 that I already have or pick up a FA50/1.4 or A50/1.4.

Anyway, I'm not going to be buying right away, so I still have time to think about what I really want.

Heather
You're most welcome Heather.

I don't know what 'mischievous' means, but, being a cat, I think what you know what you mean... Don't you just love cats? Or rather: live the live of a cat?

I think the combination of the DA 35 with an M 50 f/1,4 is not such a bad idea after all... And I think selling your FA 43 would raise enough funds for the DA 35. But take your time.
04-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote

Now, this is what I call a Photo! Great shot Frank!
04-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Marc: Are you an attorney? Because you make a great case for the DA35 macro.
Hi Mark! Close, I'm a salesman... Actually selling hifi stuff, but I would rather sell Photo equipment (boy, Canon would have to close the books if I would )

On a more serious note: what I say about the DA 35 is just what I feel. I only have it for a couple of days, but I'm really impressed with it. The last days before the lens arrived I was anticipating it so much I was thinking it could only end in dissappointment. But no, I still have to discover the first con of the lens... And then you have to consider the price: this must be one of the cheapest macro lenses out there!
04-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Frank, you have to stop posting images like that... The water comes out of my mouth! You really know how to use that lens! Congrats!
04-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Who has both the DA35 and 43?

For those of you who have already gotten the DA35 or are planning on ordering it in the near future, do any of you also have the 43? If so, do you plan on keeping both?

Thanks!
Heather

BTW, if I don't pick up a 100 macro, I could possibly pick up the DA35 and keep the 43, too. If I decide that I'm not using the 43 enough down the road, then I could sell it and pick up either a DA21 or DA70. I know...my brain is working overtime again.
04-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Doesn't Frank have this lens?
04-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
For those of you who have already gotten the DA35 or are planning on ordering it in the near future, do any of you also have the 43? If so, do you plan on keeping both?

Thanks!
Heather

BTW, if I don't pick up a 100 macro, I could possibly pick up the DA35 and keep the 43, too. If I decide that I'm not using the 43 enough down the road, then I could sell it and pick up either a DA21 or DA70. I know...my brain is working overtime again.
I don't have a 43. I do have a 77 so I know the "FA" vibe. It really depends on how/what you shoot. Quick shift can be very nice depending on the conditions. I don't really use the 77 as a "city" lens so I'm not worried about having to do quick focus corrections. With a 43 I might...not sure. Want to loan me yours?