Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2008, 07:38 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Can you point me to the original post? I probably missed it...

04-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #137
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
Can you point me to the original post? I probably missed it...
Quoted by Frank in #125. Its ok though, we're going to reverse the deal and I'm taking it back to the store. I'm embarrased I didn't notice it first, but even more, I'm choked at Pentax QC. I guess they can't all be winners, but thats pretty bad. Hooray for outsourcing quality products. And most of all - sorry Frank!
04-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #138
Not Registered

It sounds like to put a * or a limited on the last models is a damnation rather that a distinctive sign of quality. It is to be worried because they should be the last lenses that should show quality issues.
04-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Quoted by Frank in #125. Its ok though, we're going to reverse the deal and I'm taking it back to the store. I'm embarrased I didn't notice it first, but even more, I'm choked at Pentax QC. I guess they can't all be winners, but thats pretty bad. Hooray for outsourcing quality products. And most of all - sorry Frank!
no more 90mm Lanthar?

04-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #140
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
no more 90mm Lanthar?
Sadly no, though this didn't have to do directly with the DA35 being defective. It was a change of heart for the original seller. Thats the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

I take solice in my new Zeiss Distagon T* 25/2,8 however - its brought the fun back. Having said that, it needs to go in for an adjustment as well... *sigh* (see thread).
04-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Sadly no, though this didn't have to do directly with the DA35 being defective. It was a change of heart for the original seller. Thats the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.
Again, I'm really sorry and embarrassed about the whole mess and loss Hope this won't happen again in the future.
04-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #142
Inactive Account

I'm only disappointed with Pentax - its been great that you were very patient and understanding with the faulty DA, its appreciated Frank

I hope for everyone else it was just a one off, that error. Good luck with your copies everyone!

04-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #143
Veteran Member

Here are some more fine examples of what this lens can do. Click on the following link and scroll down until you run into the pics:
Which macro to supplement my other lenses?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Those pics are gorgeous...
Heather
04-18-2008, 02:59 AM   #144
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And heather? Have you made a decision yet, or is it still 'all blurry'?
04-18-2008, 05:04 AM   #145
Veteran Member

Not 100% yet, but I hope to by the end of next week. It looks like we have 2 distinct camps here if you take a look at my poll on the other thread.

More later...
Heather
04-18-2008, 06:50 AM   #146
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you look at the poll, then 40% is going for the DA 35. In normal democratic terms that would be a massive victory...
04-18-2008, 07:20 AM   #147
Veteran Member

a summary...

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
If you look at the poll, then 40% is going for the DA 35. In normal democratic terms that would be a massive victory...
What I was looking at is that 31+% said that I should skip the 35 and go with a longer macro, so there's only a 8+% difference between those 2.

I'll just list the reasons why I should get it:
--Versatility--it does both close and infinity focusing well. When I get close, I really get close. With extension tubes on the 43, I just about have to put the lens into the pollen to get a decent focus, anyway. Contrary to what some people around here have been saying, this lens will actually allow me to get a little further away than with extension tubes. It reminds me of the macro feature of the Fuji s602z I used to have that I really liked.
--While it's not a 31, the IQ reminds me of it, actually a cross between the 31 and 43 in the way it renders. If I keep the 43, then I will most certainly continue to lust after the 31. By getting the 35, I'll save money because I won't need to get the 31.
--I figure that by selling the 43, I should be able to get enough or almost enough to go and buy a longer dedicated macro brand new for when I need one. Who says I can't have 2 macros in my bag?
--Since the 35 does focus so close, it'll probably wind up getting more use than my 43 has. I figure it'll stay on the camera most of the time, while sharing some of that time with the 17-70.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but it looks like I may have convinced myself to go buy another lens.

Heather
04-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #148
Veteran Member

Here's another link to some more DA35 pics:

Flickr: Photos & Video from 8#X

Heather
04-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #149
Inactive Account

Thanks a lot everybody..

I should have known to never read an "ultimate LBA" but when I started reading this a day or 2 ago my mindset was "I ought to pick up a decent macro at some point....but there are other things I want first"....well I just ordered a copy, a bit impulsive, but I have been wanting the 31 ltd but if this is comparable IQ why not kill 2 with one stone. I recently got the FA35 and love the focal length so I'm looking forward to this lenses macro capabilities with summer around the corner.

Another one bites the dust.....I had no lens buying in my sights for a few months, read one thread, and now look.....how am I gonna sneak this by the wife?
04-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #150
Veteran Member

...then maybe not...

I put in a suggestion to cameralensrentals.com to get the DA35 macro and they would've been willing to get it for me I had decided that I wanted it. At this point, I'm beginning to think that I'd better wait on this one until it's been out a little longer and the prices drop some more. I'd also like to see some professional reviews, as well--not that the anecdotal reviews that ya'll have given aren't important, I just like to be able to factor both in when I'm making a decision about whether or not to buy a lens. You have to consider that it's brand new fresh from the factory, so it hasn't been proven over time yet like the 43 has.

My poll on the other thread doesn't close down until next Wednesday morning, so I won't make up my mind for sure until after then. Whatever I decide, I'll let you know.

Anyway, for anybody who might be interested in renting the DA35 from cameralensrentals.com, here is the quote that Ilene gave me:

1 Week 26.00 DW 33.00

2 Weeks 45.00 DW 53.00

3 Weeks 58.00 DW 67.00

4 Weeks 70.00 DW 80.00
DW=Damage Waiver

If you rent and then decide to buy, they'll credit you with half of the rental fee towards the purchase of the lens. In this case, they would charge me $599.99--the full MSRP.

Heather