Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

For similar prices, I'd go for the FA (which in the UK appears to be twice the price of the DA) because of the aperture ring - I have manual film cameras. It's also faster.

01-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #17

or if you are fast there is a SMC 40mm on ebay now for a decent price since it is "brand new" according to seller.

Pristine Spotless SMC Pentax Da 40mm F2 8 'Limited' Edition AF Compact Lens | eBay

I am not looking for this particular lens myself at the moment but it seems to be a really fair price.

edit: not sure if I am allowed to link to specific sales like that outside of this site, if not please slap my fingers and I will refrain from doing so again.
01-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
Read page 28 and weep, genius. They are not identical lenses: http://c2b6d376b97bcc466063-5420c200a1f030d1394a9548df6eadbd.r5.cf2.rackcdn...._121912_LR.pdf
Not sure what you are pointing at, they both show 5 elements in 4 groups. Identical aperture ranges, min focus range, magnification, etc. The cartoons are a little different, but those aren't to-scale engineering drawings. Also, I believe that chart is factually wrong as it lists the XS as having QS, which I don't believe it does. A marketing brochure isn't the bible.
01-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #19
Pentaxian

There's your shot right there...That's a pretty good price. Jump on it and save the extra money.

01-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

This is true. Having said that, neither are side-by-side comparisons without disassembly. Too much misinformation in forums. And I didn't appreciate the other guy's "Nonsense!" proclamation.

It's certainly plausible Pentax modified the original 40mm design to make it more compact. Regardless of what they did it's (the XS) a great optic for the money.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
A marketing brochure isn't the bible.
01-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both (the pre-HD DA 40). You can't go wrong. If I had to choose, I'd go for the FA 43, which is on occasion the more 'magical' lens.
01-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Buying advise - FA43 vs DA 40 HD Ltd

For those who have both the FA and DA, which has faster AF? Some users may find value in this. I know my wife and I do for a walk-around prime.

01-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I've owned both the DA 40 and the FA 43 at the same time. I spent months comparing real life shots and the FA 43 was superior in every way. My suggestion is to go for the FA Limited instead.

That being said, the 40 is still an outstanding lens. You'd be happy with it and get great results. The two strengths it has over the 43 is size and QS. The QS advantage is minimized by the small size of the lens because it's difficult to hold the small focus ring on such a small lens. I have the DA 40 XS for film-use only to make the Super Program and *ist cameras pocketable. The 43 goes on all my other bodies.

The FA 43 is sharp wide open, colors are better, rendering is better, it has an aperture ring, and it has pixie dust.

I never compared focus speeds between the two, but I've never had any issues with focusing with the 43.
01-20-2014, 02:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Read page 28 and weep, genius. They are not identical lenses:
the diagram of the glass is strictly the same, althought a little more compressed on the XS. So it's still the same lens. Genius.

For those who have both the FA and DA, which has faster AF? Some users may find value in this. I know my wife and I do for a walk-around prime.
If i remember well, the DA 40 is slightly faster do to a shorter focus throw compared to the 43.
01-20-2014, 06:44 AM   #25
Pentaxian

For similar prices, indeed get the FA. BUT you can get a used DA40 for about 250$ all included. In that case, except if money is no issue, the DA will give you a smaller body, quick-shift, a more even performance across the frame and less aberrations. You will loose a stop, some sharpness in the center and a mythical reputation.
01-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
It works on fullframe film cameras, but film doesn't move to compensate for shakes.

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I am guessing you mean a 35mm lens on a FF body...

If that is the case a 24mm lens will most fully replicate that same angle of view when used on the current set of Pentax sensors.
Nope. Never used fullframe, so I'm APS-C based. To me, 35mm is normal and 50mm is nowhereland.
01-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
but film doesn't move to compensate for shakes.
That still doesn't change anything - the IS mechanism doesn't move enough to reach the imaging circle limits of any FF capable lens*. Travel is no greater than 5mm most FF lenses have imaging circles of at least 48mm.

* Even the DA15mm f/4 which does have a rather small imaging circle, doesn't have any issues with the IS mechanism.
01-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #28
Site Supporter

I have both the DA 40 Limited and the FA 43 Limited. Both are great. The FA 43 Limited seems better in high contrast situations, and often takes very rich pictures. The DA 40 Limited's strength is its supreme flare resistance and its size. It's nearly impossible to get the DA 40 to flare - I bet the HD is even better. Both are great lenses. I keep the DA 40 on my K-01 I have just laying around for on the cuff pictures. Both seem to autofocus about the same speed. The DA 40 is louder, but not as loud as the 40 XS.
01-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my opinion the FA Limited lenses are the top of the heap. They are magnificent lenses. If I had none of them I would always purchase the FA Limited lens first.

That being said, I also have a DA 40 which lives on my K-01 because it makes a great, casual shooting setup that is just great fun to use.

My advice would be to go for the FA 43 at this point. You will certainly not regret it.
01-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
That still doesn't change anything - the IS mechanism doesn't move enough to reach the imaging circle limits of any FF capable lens*. Travel is no greater than 5mm most FF lenses have imaging circles of at least 48mm.

* Even the DA15mm f/4 which does have a rather small imaging circle, doesn't have any issues with the IS mechanism.
I don't understand what you are saying. According to this, the 15mm Limited is not usable on fullframe at all. Also, that lens was developed after SR was introduced on Pentax cameras, so it is no surprise at all that it works on APS-C SR cameras. The same cannot be said for fullframe, since every lens will have been developed before the hypothetical fullframe SR-equipped camera is introduced. And btw, the sensor won't have to move as much for wideangle lenses anyway. Although, to be fair, it still wouldn't have to move an awful lot on a 40mm lens either. Still, there are no guarantees that I can see. Even assuming that lenses that were developed for FF have imaging circles that are big enough, who is to say the 40mm Ltd was developed for FF? Unless there is a way of testing it that I'm not familiar with.