Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Used lens made me wonder

I wandered into a local used camera shop and immediately noticed a huge Pentax lens under the glass counter. Turned out to be a SMC Pentax-A* 400mm F2.8 ED [IF]
This thing was a monster and got me longing for the times when they and others like them were in production. There aren't likely too many of these out there any more and while I didn't feel compelled to fork over nearly $7k for it, somehow it feels like a shame things like that are relegated to history along with Mach-II passenger jets, moon missions, appliances designed for 25 yr lifetimes, etc.

--
dbh

04-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
This thing was a monster and got me longing for the times when they and others like them were in production. There aren't likely too many of these out there any more and while I didn't feel compelled to fork over nearly $7k for it, somehow it feels like a shame things like that are relegated to history along with Mach-II passenger jets, moon missions, appliances designed for 25 yr lifetimes, etc.

--
dbh

Well, it's not quite the Concorde, but in 25 years time this thing will just be getting going:

It's heavier than an anvil.

04-11-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I wandered into a local used camera shop and immediately noticed a huge Pentax lens under the glass counter. Turned out to be a SMC Pentax-A* 400mm F2.8 ED [IF]

--
dbh

Have you held that lens? Most people won't be able to handhold it for more than a few seconds without their forearms getting fatigued. I've picked up that lens and I certainly can't.

The lens is nice but it's way overpriced and the store owner doesn't really budge on price. (I've tried on other things).

Also you will absolutely need a solid tripod and gimbal head (another $1,000) in order to use the lens properly. Plus the pack mule to carry it.
04-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
dbh
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Have you held that lens? Most people won't be able to handhold it for more than a few seconds without their forearms getting fatigued. I've picked up that lens and I certainly can't.

The lens is nice but it's way overpriced and the store owner doesn't really budge on price. (I've tried on other things).

Also you will absolutely need a solid tripod and gimbal head (another $1,000) in order to use the lens properly. Plus the pack mule to carry it.
Yes and I agree with you on all counts. The filter attached to the front of it cost more than the most expensive lens in my arsenal.
--
dbh

04-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Funny thing is though...most people would de-value it because it's not the newest, best AF lens :/

My mom had a washing machine that was finally fubar after 25 years of heavy use (us growing up), and their old microwave gave up the ghost a couple years ago. It was a wedding gift from 1977...

I personally love vintage stuff. Can't wait till I can find a good, clean Marantz receiver to compliment my 1986 Sherwood that still works as well as the day my dad bought it. Who still wants stuff from the 70s? We're still around
04-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

--
dbh
This is the #1 list on the ultimate want list for me, to be coupled with my 1.7x AF TC.

It iw a very fine lens, but the only question I have is whether this will be possible for me to justify getting..
04-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter

What a beautiful lens. A lens that heavy does require a " set procedure" to get out of the case, setup, and use. Its not quick. Worth it though. Most who own lens like that also have a faster to get ready, small tele (like a bigma). For those quick shots. Have an Olympus OM 350 2.8. Can't imagine how much bigger this one is.

Ryan s, I love vintage stuff. Bought a Marantz 2230 receiver a few days ago. Have no need for it, but it had the hard to find wood case. Couldn't resist. Also picked up a BIC 960 turntable. My first stereo was that table, a Sherwood receiver, and Genesis speakers( not the next two Genesis speaker brands). One room stores cameras, the other unused stereo equipment. The rooms are inching together like two cities.
thanks
barondla
04-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Wow, I'm sitting beside my '85 or '86 Sherwood System that won the Stereo Review Component System of the year award back then. Bought it new and still using it as the "family stereo". Actually, mine has the tower speakers while the award winning system had a more sensible (and not so tall) speaker set.

Lowell, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I previously tried to use the 1.7x with an A*300/2.8. The resolution was so far below what the lens could do on it's own that I never shot a single "keeper" or "sellable" with it and fairly quickly sold the 1.7x off as junk. I realize that there is a big resurgence of interest in the 1.7x, but if you couple it to a pro lens with ED glass I'm afraid that it's poor sharpness and contrast will sour you to this item. By the way, I bought my 1.7x new for about $100 back in the mid to late 90's and sold it for $50 and felt guilty that someone else would make the mistake of trying to use it. Now, at $400 it's still a not so good item. Sorry, but you'll see if you try it with pro glass...you won't get pro results.

04-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Wow, I'm sitting beside my '85 or '86 Sherwood System that won the Stereo Review Component System of the year award back then. Bought it new and still using it as the "family stereo". Actually, mine has the tower speakers while the award winning system had a more sensible (and not so tall) speaker set.

Lowell, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I previously tried to use the 1.7x with an A*300/2.8. The resolution was so far below what the lens could do on it's own that I never shot a single "keeper" or "sellable" with it and fairly quickly sold the 1.7x off as junk. I realize that there is a big resurgence of interest in the 1.7x, but if you couple it to a pro lens with ED glass I'm afraid that it's poor sharpness and contrast will sour you to this item. By the way, I bought my 1.7x new for about $100 back in the mid to late 90's and sold it for $50 and felt guilty that someone else would make the mistake of trying to use it. Now, at $400 it's still a not so good item. Sorry, but you'll see if you try it with pro glass...you won't get pro results.
Oh, I don't know about that. see the first post

300 F4 plus 1.7x

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/106132-post4.html
04-12-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote

Ah, the superb A*300/2.8. Little brother to the A*400, but just as capable as its bigger sibling.

As for teleconverters, the only lenses I'll use a T/C with are primes. I won't use a T/C even with F2.8 zooms. I do notice a reduction in image quality, so I want to start with the best possible lens in the first place.