Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Need HELP DA21 Self-Disassembled!

OK, my DA21 completely self disassembled! There are 3 screws that hold the lens group in the body of the lens, and they all fell out. It should be easy to fix, but it requires removing the front trim ring. I've tried several ways to remove the front trim ring, to no avail. Any suggestions? Is it the part with the words that comes off or the center part?

Thanks!

01-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found some information here:

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Disassemble the DA21 Limited (and the Secret of the QSF Mechanism)

Follow the link on this page for more information.

There is also a database of repairs on Pentax Forums;

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/179884-pe...-database.html

Hope this helps

Regards

Chris
01-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Center part. I got it off using a eyeglass flathead screwdriver - but it's tight enough where you might bend that kind of screwdriver. It's held in with 3 pieces of double-sided tape.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/121842-prob...-infinity.html

This thread has a lot of info regarding your issue.
01-20-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in case you don't understand Chinese, the important part is here:

You have to remove the 'ring' that contain the letters, screws are hidden there.

01-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Er not quite - you can't get to the letter ring without taking off the center circle part that sticks out.

It exposes 3 screws:

Which is the name plate, and if you take that off you get to the 3 screws that hold the focus ring.

01-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks All! Maybe I can get my beloved back up and running tomorrow night.
01-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Er not quite - you can't get to the letter ring without taking off the center circle part that sticks out.

It exposes 3 screws:

Which is the name plate, and if you take that off you get to the 3 screws that hold the focus ring.

Err...HOW do I get the center bit out?

01-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Err...HOW do I get the center bit out?
As I said, I used a eyeglass flathead screwdriver. It did a little bit of scratching to the body, but that's because I was a little careless. You just put it between the center and the body and you angle off.
01-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As I said, I used a eyeglass flathead screwdriver. It did a little bit of scratching to the body, but that's because I was a little careless. You just put it between the center and the body and you angle off.
Sorry! Missed the first time you posted that in my absolute panic. I'm calmer now. I shall attempt repairs now...
01-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Sorry! Missed the first time you posted that in my absolute panic. I'm calmer now. I shall attempt repairs now...
No problem - try to get a good thin flathead and wedge it in and make sure it's caught before levering it off. I find that levering it slowly to loosen it at a few different spots is the best result without damaging anything.

Also, to repair it - make sure you get threadlock or something. It can be tricky to apply (I rolled the little screws in the threadlock compound, then gently dropped it into their slots), but without threadlock they will come loose again.

And lastly - DO NOT TAKE OUT THE LENS FROM THE CASING. That center bit with the glass, do NOT take that out. I did and I damaged a little metal brush thing and now my lens won't AF anymore.
01-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
WOO WOO!!!! Crisis averted. In my original attempts to disassemble the lens, I went way too far, and I had some trouble getting everything back together. I had to disassemble the whole thing to get it back right. Of course I spun the focusing gear round and round and got it completely out of its original plane. I'll have to check infinity when there's light.

At one point, I mangled the little electrical fingers that run around inside the focus gears, but I managed to get them adjusted more or less straight and true. Does anyone know what information those fingers regulate? Maybe focus distance? Any ideas how I'd check that the data was transmitting correctly? The exif seems intact, but I'm worried it might affect SR or something like that.

Here's a shot post-repair of my 35 Macro. Focus on the 5, hit it spot on!

01-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Those little finger things relay info regarding AF. Without them, the lens won't focus.
01-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Those little finger things relay info regarding AF. Without them, the lens won't focus.
Thank you so much. It focuses perfectly fine, so I guess all is well. I owe you dinner or something!
01-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hah, no problem
01-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Mental note to self: Remember to never buy a 21mm from Kozlok

Ha ha, just kidding, nice job! It's always a good feeling when you can repair something yourself that would have been expensive to have somebody else do it. Especially when it's a job that takes you outside your comfort zone.

You probably just saved yourself a couple hundred bucks, which is really the same as making a couple hundred bucks. So you would now be completely justified in going out and spending $200 on something else you would like. (At least that's what I told my wife yesterday when I spent a couple hours under the dash of her minivan and discovered that the problem with the heater fan not working on most settings was just a loose connection to the blower motor resistor).