Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Unused lenses - questions about selling

I've been thinking lately, I have a ton of lenses that rarely get used. For example, I doubt I'd use my FA 50 when I have a FA 43. I also have multiple kit lenses, and some older no-name lenses to get rid of, including my first telephoto zoom, which I bought new, but I have better now.

Is it easy to sell on the forums? Do people usually ask for Paypal fees? Also, how do people ship, at least in the USA? Also, I apologize if this is not the right forum to ask this question. I'm not really sure where this goes!

01-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it is easy to sell here. Of course, fleabay is also available to you, and some turn there if the item doesn't sell here.

I've seen sellers sometimes charge Paypal fees and sometimes swallow those fees. (Of course, you could always build the fee into the asking price.)

Shipping in the US can go by Postal Service; the most recent largish purchase I made came Priority Mail. Or, you could use a package service (UPS, FedEx). Whatever is more convenient for you, or which one is least expensive; they all seem to be reliable.

I'll be selling an 18-135mm lens soon, and I'll start on this site. I might swallow the Paypal fee, and I'll probably use Priority Mail.
01-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Selling rules : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/137-read-f...ack-guide.html
Regarding Paypal : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/201374-new...-payments.html

It's not all to hard to sell here... to me, at least. What takes me the longest is taking good photos of the item for sale, uploading them, and writing a good description, the else isn't too hard or complicated.

As far as Paypal fees go, we are not supposed to use the "Gift" option (which gets you out of the 3 or 4% fee Paypal charges). Instead we're supposed to use the "Payment for Goods and Services option. It is the sellers choice who covers the Paypal fees. Some sellers will say "$500 + applicable Paypal fees", others will bear the cost.

I assume that most ship USPS Priority mail (2-3 days). You can make a USPS online account and pay for and print your labels from there. The post office has Priority shipping boxes that you can take for free, if you choose to use your own box, you can use a little kitchen scale to weigh it if you plan to purchase labels online.

If you are a newbie, here is an important tip: ALWAYS insure your package. $50 and under insurance is included free with Priority mail, over that there will be a fee. Over $250 you need signature confirmation to protect yourself (I usually go for signature confirmation when it is over $125+, just to be safe). If you ship online, you will get a tracking number to track the package or if you ship in the store, you will get the tracking number on your receipt that you can type in online.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I've been doing this for awhile- on here, on eBay, and on Etsy.
01-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
If you are a newbie, here is an important tip: ALWAYS insure your package. $50 and under insurance is included free with Priority mail, over that there will be a fee. Over $250 you need signature confirmation to protect yourself (I usually go for signature confirmation when it is over $125+, just to be safe). If you ship online, you will get a tracking number to track the package or if you ship in the store, you will get the tracking number on your receipt that you can type in online.
If you're selling high dollar items, I recommend ponying up for FedEx or UPS. Yes, is it considerably more expensive, especially since most lenses fit in flat rate USPS boxes--a tremendous value, as when you have to pay by weight it's often very expensive. I have friends who have dealt with USPS insurance claims. Here's what one had to say about it:

QuoteQuote:
The first time you attempt to claim insurance, you will see what I am saying. Pick the line you will hear, because you'll hear all of them:

"You have to wait six months after the delivery to make a claim."

"You need to file with the foreign post office, not us."

"We can't track whether it got there."

"we don't handle that, you'll have to appeal to the regional branch."
No experience with this myself, but it sounds like I'd expect it to be. The problem with USPS is that you have to prove the value and they may decide what you have sold is not worth the price that someone paid. A friend of mine sold a trading card worth $100 that was insured for as much (documented eBay receipt that someone bought it for that much), only to have his claim settled by awarding him $3.50, the price of a pack of new cards.

FedEx and UPS are much better about these things, and sorting out their claims department is significantly better. FedEx has a new flat rate box that could be a considerably attractive option.

01-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It sounds like it might not apply in your case, but one thing to avoid is this: don't advertise that the item has "six months left on the manufacturer's warranty", even if it does. Pentax is quite clear that the warranty is for the original purchaser only, it is not transferable. If you sell a lens that then fails within the warranty period AND you're willing to take the lens back, refund the guy's money, and handle the warranty repair yourself, I guess that would work. Otherwise, it's just misleading to tell prospective purchasers that they're getting the balance of a warranty. Just my $.02 worth on one of my pet peeves.
01-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
If you're selling high dollar items, I recommend ponying up for FedEx or UPS. Yes, is it considerably more expensive, especially since most lenses fit in flat rate USPS boxes--a tremendous value, as when you have to pay by weight it's often very expensive. I have friends who have dealt with USPS insurance claims. Here's what one had to say about it:

No experience with this myself, but it sounds like I'd expect it to be. The problem with USPS is that you have to prove the value and they may decide what you have sold is not worth the price that someone paid. A friend of mine sold a trading card worth $100 that was insured for as much (documented eBay receipt that someone bought it for that much), only to have his claim settled by awarding him $3.50, the price of a pack of new cards.

FedEx and UPS are much better about these things, and sorting out their claims department is significantly better. FedEx has a new flat rate box that could be a considerably attractive option.
Ok now that sounds horrible. I will stay with UPS or FedEx.
01-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the answers and advice. I will probably be doing this soon. Because I post more than I sell, I'll not need the volume seller account, right?
01-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miltona580 Quote
Thanks for the answers and advice. I will probably be doing this soon. Because I post more than I sell, I'll not need the volume seller account, right?
Correct - being a "site supporter" that you already are is enough to sell occasionally.