Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Mold spot on lens

I'm interested in the fa 24 currently offered in the marketplace for $380. Listing mentions a spec of mold or mildew. What's everyone's thoughts on that? Should I expect it to get worse over time? What's it cost to get it cleaned? How does something like that affect pictures?

Thanks for any advice. Less than $400 seems like a steal for the fa 24.

01-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The effect on images depends on too many factors to say with any accuracy.
BUT, I cna say that the white spiderweb mould on the middle elements made my 28mm F2.8 have much lower contrast than it normally would. Each image had a slight white hue to it, almost like always shooting through a veyr, very thin curtain.
After cleaning it though, much better.

If untreated the mould may grow, but only if the mould is given the right climate.
Keep it away from wamr humid areas, and give it plenty of light and air. The mould shouldn't spread.
I would still get it removed though, to save potentially infecting other lenses (maybe I"m paranoid here)

Cleaning depends on where the mould is, front or rear element will be simple, any internal elements make it a lot harder.

If it were me, I'd leave it alone.
if I'm buying a lens with any mould I personally refuse to pay any more than 1/4 the value of a mint condition one.

But, I'm also a cheapskate and have never paid more than $50 for any lens.
01-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If this is the lens https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/247714-sale-fa-24-f-2-a.html, I'll go for it....it seems more like two spots of dust on the inside of the front element, rather than actual fungus, and shouldn't affect photographs. Google lens fungus to see what it actually looks like in various stages, and even if that is fungus in the first stage, you should be able to kill it by leaving the lens in direct sunlight for a few days IMO...
01-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
If this is the lens https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/247714-sale-fa-24-f-2-a.html, I'll go for it....it seems more like two spots of dust on the inside of the front element, rather than actual fungus, and shouldn't affect photographs. Google lens fungus to see what it actually looks like in various stages, and even if that is fungus in the first stage, you should be able to kill it by leaving the lens in direct sunlight for a few days IMO...
yes that looks like nice lens, can not see any fungus.
with leaving lenses in the Sun one needs to be careful, here in Australia Sun is very strong.
I did purchase , a while ago, Tamron Taisei Kogaku preset lens with a little fungus on the front edge.
I placed it in the window facing North, picked it up after two days and.....all 12 aperture blades became oily and rear element now has oil right in the middle.
The oil melted and dripped.
One day I will try to pul it apart and clean the oil.
kind regards
jack

01-22-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Mold does not sound like the same thing as fungus. Fungus has that spider web-like appearance that hks_kansei mentioned. Fungus is hard to clean and it often comes back. But its affect on photos is often very little.

I think you need to make sure you can return the lens if you're unhappy. Only a close personal examination of the lens will tell you if it has very much. I highly doubt it would show any effect in your pictures at all now (or even in the next few years) at it's current stage as it was described. And if fungus, it often grows slowly (although a little faster where you are than in southern California's dry climate).

It's a nice lens, and if it's a good copy I think you'll like it if you get it. I certainly like mine.
01-22-2014, 04:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Mold does not sound like the same thing as fungus.
Don't know much about it but..."A mold (US / CA) or mould (UK / NZ / AU) is a fungus that grows in the form of multicellular filaments called hyphae"...(Wikipedia)
01-22-2014, 04:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Don't know much about it but..."A mold (US / CA) or mould (UK / NZ / AU) is a fungus that grows in the form of multicellular filaments called hyphae"...(Wikipedia)
OK, so I guess it's the same thing.

But the fungus on a lens doesn't look anything like the mold I've seen on food or anywhere else I can remember, so I thought of it as something different.