Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2014, 11:56 PM   #1

Collar mount needed for Pentax F 300 4.5

Does anyone know or have a solution for finding a tripod collar mount for my old Pentax F SMC 300 ED lens? See picture.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-22-2014, 01:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This come up from time to time. A few years ago I ordered it as a spare part from Pentax. They may still have some if you give them a call. I think it was around $100 for it and the associated parts, IIRC. Many of the parts for this lens are unavailable, but I was still able to get the collar.

However, I rarely ever use mine. The lens is so light I end up hand holding it. It's one of my most important lenses.

I think another Pentaxian found a Canon collar that was a close fit and was using it. Not quite as good as having the original, though.

Last edited by DSims; 01-22-2014 at 01:08 AM.
01-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
Mr. Simms, how do you like the lens? I bought this a few years back for just $100. I knew someday I would get a camera that would bring out it's character! The K-3 seems to be that camera.
01-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Check the dimension of the barrel. I use a Chinese copy of the canon 100/2.8 macro mount, lined with thick leather for my Q-PK adaptor

For my K300/4 I made my own mount, mainly to center the combined lens plus 1.7x TC and body

SMC 300 F4.0 tripod mount - Pentax User Photo Gallery

01-23-2014, 12:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
Mr. Simms, how do you like the lens? I bought this a few years back for just $100. I knew someday I would get a camera that would bring out it's character! The K-3 seems to be that camera.
The lens is great. I thought it was excellent on any Pentax body I've used it on.

But I paid the full, going price for mine a few years ago - guess I just don't know where to shop! It was still worth it - one of my most important lenses.
01-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I use one of these brackets from Manfrotto on my K300/4. While not a prefect solution, it does the job and can be adjusted to fit nearly any long lens. It's not too expensive either.
Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support with Quick Release 293 B&H
01-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #7

Original Poster
Sorry Reeftool- I'm afraid I may be laughed off the football circuit or bear shooting expedition if I had one of those contraptions!
01-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Maybe, but as ugly as it looks, it gets the job done. My 300/4 is very heavy and mounting the camera on the tripod doesn't work very well. Really Right Stuff has a long lens support kit that looks better but costs 4 times more. I previously had a homemade rig similar to Lowell's picture. It worked fine on my K10D but the overall dimensions of the K5 were different so mine was camera specific which was why I bought the Manfrotto rig. People laugh at me anyhow. Did you know it's impossible to get a good photo from a film era lens? I hear that every time I go out.

01-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Maybe, but as ugly as it looks, it gets the job done. My 300/4 is very heavy and mounting the camera on the tripod doesn't work very well. Really Right Stuff has a long lens support kit that looks better but costs 4 times more. I previously had a homemade rig similar to Lowell's picture. It worked fine on my K10D but the overall dimensions of the K5 were different so mine was camera specific which was why I bought the Manfrotto rig. People laugh at me anyhow. Did you know it's impossible to get a good photo from a film era lens? I hear that every time I go out.
I had to make a second for the K7/K5, or was it for the *istD, I forget now, but yeah changes in camera dimensions screw the things up a little