Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Capturing NYC

Hi everyone -

I've been lurking here for the past couple of months since I bought the K10d and really enjoy this forum. I have been learning alot and taking what I've learned here out on my shoots. It really is a great resource!

My first trip with the new camera will be to New York this summer. I'm pretty impressed with the kit lenses abilities, especially at 24-55mm, however I'm thinking something that is a good wide angle performer might be best to properly capture alot of what NYC has to offer, specifically the architecture.

I currently have the 18-55mm, the A 50mm 1.7, and the Tamron 70-300 LD. I'm debating whether to add the 16-45mm (as a "replacement" to the kit), or to just bite the bullet so to speak and get the 12-24mm, since the kit's performance over 24mm is quite good. I was also considering the DA* 16-50. I guess my main concern is getting something wide enough. I think the 12mm wide end could create some real dramatic shots of the city, but maybe its overkill.

Anyways - your thoughts and comments on these options would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to advise on any other lenses you may think would suit my needs as well.

04-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If you do not want to change the lenses too often I would recommend the Sigma 17-70mm. It is just 1mm longer than 16-45 but has the great long range of 70mm. For me it covers 95% of my needs. Of course in the NYC you might actually need something wider than 17mm. Though last time I was there, the kit lens did just fine.
04-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

welcome to the forum Icarus! 12mm is probably a bit overkill if you it's not in your budget, but wider is definitely better for cityscapes imo.

when i went to NYC w/ my friend, a lot of times my P&S at 38mm wasn't wide enough and sometimes have to be creative with the framing. a lot of places are tight and sometimes you can't back up any further! i think these photos could have been improved a lot with a wider lens:

Last edited by k100d; 05-12-2008 at 07:14 PM.
04-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #4

What do you need to Capture NYC? Unless you have an extraordinarily large lasso, I'd go for the Pentax 12-24 or Sigma 10-20 - both will give you a very different perspective (literally) from the kit lens.

Enjoy the trip

04-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will vote for the Pentax 12-24. It's perhaps pricey, but it is an excellent lens. I found less distortion than I expected with it, and the image quality is right up there with the best. Based on living in Chicago, the land of the skyscraper, for four years with nothing wider than 24mm on 35mm full frame (16mm digital) the 12-24 would have been a much better lens for the buildings. I even used a pentax 28mm shift lens for a while, and it was not wide enough by a long shot.
04-12-2008, 05:13 AM   #6
Inactive Account

If you lens isn't wide enough, you could always shoot from Brooklyn

04-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks all -

Albert, thats great advice coming from someone who lived in Chicago.

Chrisman - I was looking at the Sigma 10-20mm too, but I think the 24mm at the long end would allow me to keep the lens on more often and switch lenses less often (thus keeping the significant other happy) - the 4mm isn't much, but it will help.

The nice thing about going to NY is that I can hit up the B&H or Adorama superstores and try out the gear! Unfortunately, I don't have a local shop that actually keeps Pentax gear in stock - its all special order. Although, I may try and source one used from the Marketplace or fleabay.