Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #1

Buying Lenses from Japanese Companies on Amazon

I see on Amazon that there are a number of Japanense companies selling Pentax lenses at prices that are significantly less than stores in the U.S. I understand that any purchases from those companies do not come with a U.S. warranty. I was just curious as to people's experiences with buying lenses in that manner. Why is there so much of a price difference?

01-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Who knows why the price difference. I bought a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 new for 279$ plus 13$ shipping with a Japanese warranty. They gave me a 30 day return privelege and a 12 month warranty through them. Perfect lens, just no usa 6 year warranty. But I saved 221$! Just read the companies policies and feedback.

David
01-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I purchased my K-5II through DavisMax on Amazon. I asked and they told me up front that this was an off market camera, but supplied a year warranty on their own. I had a single dead pixel on my screen and they offered to exchange it at no cost to myself.

I also called Pentax and gave them the Serial # on the camera, asked if it would be covered under USA warranty even though it was an out of market camera and she said they cover the items with no issues as long as there has not been abuse.

Either way I have had a positive experience with the Amazon foreign resellers and would buy again.
01-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought a Pentax Q lens from Japan (the 01 prime) through Amazon. It arrived really fast, like within a week. It also came with some sort of warranty that I never used because the lens was working properly. The package came with some sort of coupon for their online store, and I ended up using it to buy more things from them.

It doesn't look like they have any more Pentax items (they specialized more in goods from Japan), but it was a great experience and I wouldn't really hesitate to order from a Japanese seller again.