Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SMC DA15 exposure questions?

Hi,
I was the lucky recipient of a new DA15 lens this Xmas. The lens works fine sometimes and then other times the images are severely underexposed.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong of if it's my lens or my camera settings. I find that I have to set the exposure level to +2 to compensate. I can shoot in M mode but how does that help me when a stranger wants to try my camera?

01-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
Hi,
I was the lucky recipient of a new DA15 lens this Xmas. The lens works fine sometimes and then other times the images are severely underexposed.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong of if it's my lens or my camera settings. I find that I have to set the exposure level to +2 to compensate. I can shoot in M mode but how does that help me when a stranger wants to try my camera?
Are you in matrix metering mode?

Since the 15mm is a very wide lens, the metering system is a bit easier to fool.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you in matrix metering mode?

Since the 15mm is a very wide lens, the metering system is a bit easier to fool.
Thank you, I checked my metering mode and cycled thru the three different options. Changing them didn't seem to do too much to the exposure levels I'm getting.

For example, here is a photo of my ceiling fan shot in A mode.

It's clearly underexposed.

Last edited by dragonfly; 01-22-2014 at 02:04 PM.
01-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Exposure compensation turned off?

01-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
Thank you, I checked my metering mode and cycled thru the three different options. Changing them didn't seem to do too much to the exposure levels I'm getting.

For example, here is a photo of my ceiling fan shot in A mode.

It's clearly underexposed.
I don't think you understand what he was saying, although I could be mistaken. Your camera has different methods to meter the light it sees. Say for example I only use 'spot metering' which means it has one single red spot in the view finder and the camera will look only at that spot to tell you if the shot is going to exposed properly or not.

I don't know what body you have but on my K-5 the "Av" mode is Aperture Priority which is entirely different than metering.
01-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would be helpful to have some exif data of that shot to see what happened. I have had a screwy shot from time to time where it appeared the camera didn't meter anywhere close to right. It's rare so I have never been concerned enough to try and find out why it happened. The shot before and after would be fine and no settings were changed on the camera, just a totally wrong exposure. I can't say if it was any lens in particular when it happens. As I said, it's been very rare and I really don't notice it until I have uploaded my card. I did have issues with my DA40 that turned out to be sticky aperture blades. In cold weather especially, the aperture wouldn't close fast enough and I ended up with overexposed shots. I suppose the same thing could happen causing it to underexpose if you are shooting a burst or rapidly shooting single shots and the aperture is sticking closed. In the case of my DA40, it was obvious when I moved the aperture lever with the lens off. It took a couple of seconds to move back. I sent it off toe Eric for a cleaning and has been perfect since.
01-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I don't think you understand what he was saying, although I could be mistaken.
I don't think his 2 sentences were related. Then it makes sense :-)

Some exif data would help, though.