Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #1

Best teleconvertor for Manual body & lenses ?

I want to buy a teleconvertor for my Manual film body. I use 3 lenses and one of them is a 70-222mm lens and lately I have been wishing that I had more reach for certain things. I do not want to purchase another big heavy lens to carry around so I was thinking of getting a teleconvertor . a 1.5x would be ideal but i do not know if they make one that will work with or the old manual focus lenses. I do not know if it's been asked already but I did search and could not find any posts on the matter. If you know there is something posted already that will help me please post a link.
So does anyone know what is the best ones, both a 2x and one around 1.5x that I should look for, to use?
Also i shouold ask for send best or best priced too, just in case the best is three hundred dollars.

Thank you all

01-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have several 2x TC's. Inexpensive Vivitar ones ($20-$50 maybe) and I tried a 2x Tamron Adaptall-2 (SF1 or a model # close to this--the standard one), and my Vivitars, with an excellent Tamron 350mm f/5.6 mirror lens; and the cheapest 4 element Vivitar was best [The Vivitar 7 element macro TC and the Tamron TC were slightly worse]. Actually this is not all that surprising because the aberrations in the TC can offset those in the prime lens.

I have found TC's work quite well if used with a very high resolution lens (e.g., top quality non-zoom)--this is true at distance and most definitely true for close up. (Almost all my experience was w/ Nikon FM2 film camera and Nikon 55mm f2.8 macro and an inexpensive 4 element TC --I used this as my only lenses for backpacking.)

I suggest you get an inexpensive (on the order of $20) 1.4X~1.5X and/or 2X TC (e.g., Vivitar) and try it. If it is reasonable it would suggest the lens is a good candidate for TC and if you want you could then also try a more expensive one--if it is poor then IMO it will not be good w/ any TC.

My opinions are based on mostly the Nikon set up I mentioned--supplemented by reading material that was in accord w/ my results with the aforementioned Nikon set up.
01-27-2014, 02:19 AM   #3

Original Poster
I thought that new optics would be best to use, but your saying just buy cheapest one, and even if its really old it will be just as good as something made in the past 10 years?
01-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
dms
Site Supporter

Not the cheapest, an inexpensive one--e.g., $15-20. I am not saying there is no difference, I am saying generally the difference should be small. And as I said w/ some lenses the better one may be the least expensive. I would think it would better if it has multi-coating (less flare/more contrast) but to be honest I never looked if mine are.

After you try it you will know if the lens is a good candidate for TC. And later if you want to splurge and see if there is any difference you can. I have four 2x TC's (2 PK, 1 M42, 1 Nikon) so I can compare and thus know none are bad. Of course buying one you cannot be assured it's a good one. I think I would suggest a good names brand 3rd party one (I like older Vivitar lenses).

01-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The most important consideration is the lens, not the TC. Lens flaws are magnified by the TC, in addition to any degradation the TC adds. Cheap 4-element 2x TCs can indeed give reasonable results, at least in the center of the image circle, if the lens mounted to it is sharp and with well-controlled CA. As dms says there's not much to lose in trying one of the cheap ones.

There's a 1.4x (4 elements) sold under various brands and still manufactured -- Vivitar, Pro-Optic, etc. I used to have one and I thought the results were quite good. Cost is around US$100 new. I sold it because it isn't compatible with DA* lenses. I expect the optics are similar to older (manual) 1.4x TCs. Not as common as used 2x TCs but still should be easy enough to find.
01-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out the TC reviews HERE.
I've tried a number of cheap 2x TCs, and the results did not impress. They weren't any better than just cropping an image. I did, however, recently get this Kenko Pz AF 1.5x for cheap, and it is definitely worth using.
02-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
I would love to find an inexpensive x1.4 or x1.5 converter. The least expensive I have found was this one. I just wanted to be sure I could get the best bang for my buck, and that I would have no problems using it on an all manual setup.

Last edited by Photo_Man_Dan; 02-13-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typos
02-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo_Man_Dan Quote
I would love to find an inexpensive x1.4 or x1.5 converter. The least expensive I have found was this one. I just wanted to be sure I could get the best band for my buck, and that I would have no problems using it on an all manual setup.
The Vivitar is a good TC. I have used it extensively with the DA L 55-300 with good results. Results with the Promaster 100-400 were not as good, but that lens is a purple monster without it. I have also used it with the F 70-210 with good results at shorter distances. But my copy of the 70-210 has some hazing on one of the elements so results at longer distances weren't as good.

02-10-2014, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

The best general purpose manual focus teleconverters awailable i K-mount are the SMC Pentax-A refconverter 2x-S and 1.4x-S. They offer excelent results on excellent glass.
But with converters it is so that it is more important what quality the lens is.
Put an excelent converter on excelent glass and you get excellent results.
But if you put the same converter on mediocre glass, you will get bad results, just like the oposite: mediocre converter on excellent lens.
It will only really do you any good to use converters on really good lenses. Otherwise you will just blow up and enlarge every flaw of the lens.