Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2016, 08:56 PM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I'm with Gordon. Looking for a prime in the "normal" range, last year I sold my Contax/Zeiss 28/2.8 because of the hassle of having to open the aperture manually to see the shot, and then close it for execution. Plus I thought with all the choices out there I would be able to replace it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Kiron K28/2 and Kiron-A 28/2: (Good luck finding one!!)
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
I remember learning a lot (and envying a lot) that shoot-out! I like your strategy with the Zeiss/Leitax work-around, but I'm wondering how robust the new mount is--do you have to baby it all, or is it pretty well integrated?
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
The mount isn't really new. It has been very well tested on a variety of Contax lenses. It is snug and works as claimed. Not many (any?) of the Contax lenses measure up to the 28/2.8 for quality, but the Leitax mounting hardware IMO has proven itself as 100% reliable.

Funny but when I decided to re-aquire the Contax 28/2.8 I contacted Gordon (Interested Observer) to see if he'd sell his to me because I knew it was already "Leitaxed". He offered me his Leica 28mm, but not the Contax!
I have been asleep since Friday evening - with the flu (avoid it like the plague - the stuff is horrible) - so I am just late to the party and catching up. I can perhaps add a bit to Les' excellent narration.

I really forget how long ago I stumbled across the Contax lens, while I was surfing Craigslist. I didn't know what Contax was (but I recognized Zeiss) or what the C/Y mount was and it took me a couple of hours to figure it all out. Since the asking price was covered with my len$ money in my sock drawer, I called, met the gentleman - talked for a couple of hours, bought the lens and the odyssey began.

Leitax.com is run by a really fine gentleman (John, if I remember correctly) over in Spain (we have corresponded via email several times). The remount kits are all CNC machined aluminum stock. The machining and workmanship is first class (I'm an engineer by profession). There is absolutely no reason to have any reservations about the kit. The instructions covering the mount swap are comprehensive - you can study them on line on the Leitax website.

I have two Contax lenses that have been converted - the 28/2.8 and the 85/2.8. You get perfect focusing, and infinity focusing is not a problem.
QuoteQuote:
how robust the new mount is--do you have to baby it all, or is it pretty well integrated
They are as solid as any Pentax K, M or A mount. Absolutely no reason to worry or give them a second thought.

I really do like my old Contax lenses. They are stellar performers.

I had the opportunity to buy Pepe's K28/2 but I passed. How many 28 does one actually need. In many ways I regret that decision, but it is what it is. I am still very happy with the 28/2.8!

02-23-2016, 05:35 AM   #92
Veteran Member

That's very helpful, thank you--I might be intimidated by the retrofit, but fortunately Eric Hendrickson lives just up the road, so I could probably enlist him in a bit of hand-holding if need be...
02-23-2016, 06:15 AM   #93
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I have a different Vivitar 28mm F/2. There is a nice page dedicated to them, which you probably already know: The Great 28mm Vivitar Bestiary.
Mine is listed there as K12, it's a version made by Kino (Kiron).
Yours is the Komine-made version, which focuses 7cm closer. Preferable, cause the 23cm minimum focusing allows to be very creative, with a 28mm f/2 wide-open!
Mine is surprisingly sharp, for a wide of that vintage. A pity that both models miss the electric contacts, that i find very useful for the way i use the camera.
Yes - I'm familiar with "The Great 28mm Vivitar Bestiary" -- it's a great resource for one particular segment of the LBA community, I guess - .

Well, the Kino/Kiron you mention (K12) is apparently not available with Ka-mount fittings (and, in fact, it looks like there are no Kino/Kiron Ka models at all). However, the K01 ("Vivitar | 28MM 1:2.0 | MC | CLOSE FOCUS WIDE ANGLE | NO. 28xxxxxx | Ø49MM") is also available in Ka-mount trim, as version A01 in the "Bestiary".

While my first Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus (shown in that pic of my four 28's) was a K01, I have since picked up an A01 as well - optically the same but just a bit more convenient to use.

Just one more link related to the "Bestiary" -- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/34654-vivit...placement.html documents how Robin Parmer ("rparmar"), with the assistance of a number of cooperating PF members, actually developed the "Bestiary", and is an interesting thread to peruse...
02-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #94
Veteran Member

their price will inevitably rise.
I think this price rise has possibly been priced in. This fabled full frame body has been speculated about on Pentaxforums for quite a while. Lenses like the 85mm M series are now cheaper than they were a couple of years back (I just picked up my second copy of this for 100 pounds, when I bought the first for 150 pounds about 5 years ago), and thats after the full frame has been announced.

Its interesting to look at the lenses of the dead mounts like Konica, and to see the 15mm wide angle going for about a third of the Pentax equivalent. Pentax lenses have already risen pretty high.

I think most people want autofocus lenses, and if Pentax release some autofocus primes, the cost of the better manual primes may actually fall. It would suit me, I rather regret having sold a M 28 f2. I've got the 35, 50 and 85 in the fast versions. Its just a shame that Pentax didnt release as part of the M series a fast 135, with a bigger ring like the 200.

02-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
... and, in fact, it looks like there are no Kino/Kiron Ka models at all... ...

Wow. If not in the Bestiary, then it does not exist, correct? I think the Bestiary needs help. I bought my Kiron K-A on Ebay few years ago. I have to find it and take some shots of it, together with the Kiron K.

X01

KINO PRECISION | JAPAN | KIRON | 28mm f/2 | Ø55MM | MC | 30xxxxxx

(photos © 2010 Robin Parmar)

manufacturer: Kiron
filter: 55mm
markings: blue foot scale, "28mm" in orange
optics:
full focus range: 1/4 turn
front element turns: no
aperture blades: 6
aperture range: f/2-f/16
minimum focus: 30cm marked / 30cm measured
maximum magnification:
weight: 270g
diameter / length: 65mm / 48-51mm
year: 1981
price: $209 with case
comment: Compare with K11. Markings around outer rim of barrel. Half-stop aperture detents. Stats measured by Robin and from review in "Modern's Photo Buying Guide '85".
02-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #96
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kiron K28/2 and Kiron-A 28/2: (Good luck finding one!!)

As hinted in my previous message, some Kirons should be easier to find with Vivitar brand.
Kiron lenses were not imported in all countries, so finding them is not so easy.
As far as i remember in the USA some of them were available with the Vivitar brand, while in Italy there was an official importer, and a good number of lenses were sold. In my opinion, today the most interesting ones are the 105mm Macro, and the 28mm f/2 KA. Back at that time, Kino made a few innovative zooms, but today a relatively cheap, wobbly Pentax zooms beats their optical performance hands down.
The founder of Kino/Kiron were former Nikon optical engineers, no surprise they knew how to design good lenses.
BTW, Kiron is the anagram of Nikon :-)

For those interested in a fast full-frame 28mm, Kiron/Vivitar are an interesting low cost alternative. For its quality, mine was a steal!

Pepe. the Bestiary is centered on Vivitar lenses, and is nowhere complete.
I remember when your Kiron f/2 with electric contacts was sold new (blue box). Pentax was still quite popular, and many vendors in my area had the PKA version in stock.

Re: price variations due to the release of the full-frame,
i agree that some lenses have gone down in price, but not the top-of-the-line models, nor A, F and FA series.
It seems i'm not the only one who values the electric contacts :-)
To be sincere, i prefer M42 lenses to K and M ones. If it's not a collector item, i fix the the M42 > PK ring with removable threadlock glue (like those used on car engines), removing the spring from the ring and machining an indent on the lens base for the lock pin.
Lens wide open, aperture priority, and ready to shoot!

Ciao

P

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 02-23-2016 at 05:46 PM.
02-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #97
Pentaxian

I've been looking for the Kiron or Vivitar (Kiron made) 24mm f2 for at least a year. Pretty much every single one that appeared on the auction site had iris issues, or some other issues like fungus (and probably a stuck iris too...)

02-23-2016, 08:59 PM   #98
Site Supporter

Yes - I'm familiar with "The Great 28mm Vivitar Bestiary" [...] (and, in fact, it looks like there are no Kino/Kiron Ka models at all).
Wow. If not in the Bestiary, then it does not exist, correct? I think the Bestiary needs help.

X01
KINO PRECISION | JAPAN | KIRON | 28mm f/2 | Ø55MM | MC | 30xxxxxx
Hi, Pepe.

"The Great 28mm Vivitar Bestiary" is, well, not really about Kiron-branded lenses at all -- it is about VIVITAR 28mm primes, including, of course, those manufactured by Kiron/Kino.

So, when I suggested that, in the context of a discussion of "The Great 28mm Vivitar Bestiary", "in fact, it looks like there are no Kino/Kiron Ka models at all", I was obviously suggesting that "in fact, it looks like there are no Kino/Kiron[-manufactured Vivitar] Ka models at all".

Furthermore, "The Great 28mm Vivitar Bestiary" may or may not be complete, but if you "think the Bestiary needs help", I'll bet that Robin Parmer might appreciate your help, if you indeed have any additional Vivitar lenses to include in it.

Finally, the "X01" that you quoted about is, I would think, not really part of "The Great 28mm Vivitar Bestiary" per se -- it is likely (I am assuming) a personal 28mm lens owned by Robin, included along with the "X02" Pentax A 28/2.8, as Robin put it, "for comparison" (with the Vivitar lenses in the "The Great 28mm Vivitar Bestiary").
02-23-2016, 10:01 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi, Pepe.

"The Great 28mm Vivitar Bestiary" is, well, not really about Kiron-branded lenses at all -- it is about VIVITAR 28mm primes, including, of course, those manufactured by Kiron/Kino.

So, when I suggested that, in the context of a discussion of "The Great 28mm Vivitar Bestiary", "in fact, it looks like there are no Kino/Kiron Ka models at all", I was obviously suggesting that "in fact, it looks like there are no Kino/Kiron[-manufactured Vivitar] Ka models at all".

Furthermore, "The Great 28mm Vivitar Bestiary" may or may not be complete, but if you "think the Bestiary needs help", I'll bet that Robin Parmer might appreciate your help, if you indeed have any additional Vivitar lenses to include in it.

Finally, the "X01" that you quoted about is, I would think, not really part of "The Great 28mm Vivitar Bestiary" per se -- it is likely (I am assuming) a personal 28mm lens owned by Robin, included along with the "X02" Pentax A 28/2.8, as Robin put it, "for comparison" (with the Vivitar lenses in the "The Great 28mm Vivitar Bestiary").

Got it.
03-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW, Kiron is the anagram of Nikon :-)
O_o Huh?
03-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #101
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
O_o Huh?
Woops!
Sorry, i didn't check. It is NOT!
i have too much faith in my memory.
Long time ago i've read something about the name, and i remember it had to do with Nikon in some way... but it's too long ago and i might be mistaken.
My bad, i don't like spreading incorrect informations, there are already too many of them!

Cheers

P