Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
For catching kids in natural light, as the OP desires, the Sigma will probably be fantastic - if the kids can be caught in focus.

That's another point, now you mention it: I've not been super-impressed with the AF on the Sigma 30; I found it tends to hunt a fair bit unless light is good.

01-30-2014, 12:31 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tsuken Quote
I've not been super-impressed with the AF on the Sigma 30; I found it tends to hunt a fair bit unless light is good
That is a common issue with fast lenses, they frequently lack contrast at wide apertures and that presents a challenge to the phase detect AF systems in DSLRs.

QuoteOriginally posted by Drake Avenue Quote
n defense of the Sigma 30mm, my copy has been a solid performer, excellent from wide open and it only gets better from there. These are all shot at f1.4
After seeing the bokeh in that last pic, I feel like rinsing my eyes.

FA31 @ f/1.8

FA31 @ f/1.8
01-30-2014, 01:05 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There's a K30 f2.8 on Ebay UK at present in Very Good Condition - it's sold by a company I have dealt with several times (collectablecameras.com) and had very good service from. They haven't got round to putting it on their website yet - but here's the Ebay link if you're interested...
Pentax SMC 30mm f2.8 K mount lens very uncommon and VGC with caps film / digital | eBay
01-30-2014, 03:46 AM   #49
sTi
Forum Member

For catching kids in natural light, as the OP desires, the Sigma will probably be fantastic - if the kids can be caught in focus. I find a bounce flash (with swivel for portrait-orientation shots) is the single best thing I have added for catching kids being cute. Works well with a decent zoom, in my case the FA 20-35, but DA 16-45 would also work, and I am sure the DA35/2.4 as well. Boom, suddenly you have enough light to use a decent aperture and you stop action with the duration of the flash. Much higher keeper rate.

Here's an old sample:
+1
Exactly my experience as well. Plus, it's much simpler to get pleasing skintones with the consistent and daylight-like quality of a (good) flash compared to the weird mix of natural lighting you usually get indoors.

01-30-2014, 04:09 AM   #50
Pentaxian

A flash with tilt and swivel is very often the solution to this problem in which many of us have found ourselves. If combined with a fast prime then even better as it will give you more control. But using a flash will mean you can stop down further for sharper photos and use ISO 100 to 200, instead of 800+.
01-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #51
Pentaxian

For catching kids in natural light, as the OP desires, the Sigma will probably be fantastic - if the kids can be caught in focus. I find a bounce flash (with swivel for portrait-orientation shots) is the single best thing I have added for catching kids being cute. Works well with a decent zoom, in my case the FA 20-35, but DA 16-45 would also work, and I am sure the DA35/2.4 as well. Boom, suddenly you have enough light to use a decent aperture and you stop action with the duration of the flash. Much higher keeper rate.

Here's an old sample:
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
A flash with tilt and swivel is very often the solution to this problem in which many of us have found ourselves. If combined with a fast prime then even better as it will give you more control. But using a flash will mean you can stop down further for sharper photos and use ISO 100 to 200, instead of 800+.
Agree with these 100%. Adding a flash was the biggest improvement in my indoor photos. Fast lenses are great, but being able to make and control your own light with a flash that does manual mode is king. You can always bump ISO or open the aperture, but there comes a point where you just need more light.
01-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #52
Forum Member

Original Poster
The flash is a great point, too. Mine has been mostly sitting in my bag the last month or so and it needs to come out a lot more. Thank you for more comparison photos as well. They're helpful.