Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2014, 09:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I have a K28/3.5 and the 31. I bought the 31 to have a fast aperture lens and autofocus wider than the F50/1.7 I had been using because, like your experience, it was too tight indoors. I love the 31, absolutely love it. I am not fast enough with manual focus to use the K28 to chase the kids when they're running around. After getting a KatzEye screen, I may put that lens on the K-5 more often. I don't have any DA lenses other than the 18-55 kit. I'm still holding out for the FF and would rather avoid investing in crop lenses until Pentax says they'll never make a FF body. If I were to get a DA lens, at this point I'd probably start with the 15. I doubt I'd end up getting both the 15 and 21 already having the K28 and 31...4 lenses within 16mm of each other.

01-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To get significantly better/faster than the DA 35 2.4, you'll have to spend a lot of money. And even then, it's probably going to be a personal taste thing. I don't know if Sigma 30 1.4 will have better IQ, just different and quite a bit faster, of course. FA 31 would clearly be a step up. Same with the Sigma 35 1.4 ART (some people don't think it's that great, especially bokeh wise, but I think it's fantastic).

Me, I'm perfectly happy with the DA 35 2.4, same as the one you have, for chasing the kids around. I've got some really nice pictures taken with it, so I'm good for now. If I get rich, I might think about spending 3-4x as much for another (arguably) 5-10% improvement in quality

Oh, and there's the FA 35 f2.0 as well. KEH has 3 of them at the moment, in the 325-349 dollar range. Might be worth trying out. Some people like it better than the 35 2.4, and it is definitely a bit faster.
01-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #18

I've never owned the FA31 (someday...) but I'd like to chime in for the Sigma 30/1.4. This lens is amazing IF you find a properly-focusing example. I got lucky, mine was perfect from the start on the K-5IIs. It can be sharp wide open and any aberrations are gone by 1.8. It definitely has the 3-D effect that people talk about. One caveat: Even stopped down to f/8 the corners are soft, so not useful for landscapes and the like (unless you crop down to 1:1 format) but as a low-light/indoors lens for subject isolation it is VERY good.
I had the Plastic Fantastic DA35 briefly and while sharp, it's slightly narrower view and construction turned me off.
01-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
If the $1K price is within your budget,
I'd endorse @jatrax's suggestion for the DA 20-40.
Haha, well, when I mentioned "that range" I was referring more to focal length, but I get what you're saying. The 20-40 did come up as an option as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
To get significantly better/faster than the DA 35 2.4, you'll have to spend a lot of money. And even then, it's probably going to be a personal taste thing....If I get rich, I might think about spending 3-4x as much for another (arguably) 5-10% improvement in quality
Also totally valid points.

QuoteOriginally posted by DonovanDwyer Quote
I've never owned the FA31 (someday...) but I'd like to chime in for the Sigma 30/1.4. This lens is amazing IF you find a properly-focusing example. I got lucky, mine was perfect from the start on the K-5IIs. It can be sharp wide open and any aberrations are gone by 1.8. It definitely has the 3-D effect that people talk about. One caveat: Even stopped down to f/8 the corners are soft, so not useful for landscapes and the like (unless you crop down to 1:1 format) but as a low-light/indoors lens for subject isolation it is VERY good.
I had the Plastic Fantastic DA35 briefly and while sharp, it's slightly narrower view and construction turned me off.
Thanks, to you and everyone.

This is why I started this thread Some good options presented and a lot to think about. I especially agree with the points that it's a lot to spend for what isn't a major improvement in speed. At the same time, I constantly wish the 50 wasn't as long and the 35 was faster. Off to look up some of the other recommendations and ponder for a while.

01-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #20
Pentaxian

The Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 wasn't mentioned, but since we're talking about the DA 20-40, I thought I would bring it up as well. Not as expensive as it should be for what it is, I think - it's cheaper than the Sigma 35 1.4 Art.
If I had 800 dollars laying around for a wide angle lens, and I could wait a couple months or so, I would definitely consider it. The images I've seen from it are all fantastic. And it makes sense for the cost because it's a constant f/1.8 and it covers quite a nice range.
01-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I'm surprised that none mentionned the K30/f2.8 AKA poor man's FA31. Of course it's MF but the color rendition is simply superb as well as size and build quality.
01-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #22
Veteran Member

From the little I read, I didn't think the DA 20-40 Limited was good enough to justify the price tag being asked, especially for a crop lens. If I'm going to drop a grand on a lens, I want to be able to use it with any camera I own... meaning it's not only full frame, but it has an aperture ring to work with my film bodies. Just my preference.

01-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
From the little I read, I didn't think the DA 20-40 Limited was good enough to justify the price tag being asked, especially for a crop lens.
Based on what I read through early January, I would agree with you.

My opinion changed when I finally got a copy.
Having to wait meant that I skipped the dreaded "beta versions".

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
If I'm going to drop a grand on a lens, I want to be able to use it with any camera I own... meaning it's not only full frame, but it has an aperture ring to work with my film bodies. Just my preference.
Well, Rakuten might still have an FA 20-35/4 available.
01-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Based on what I read through early January, I would agree with you.

My opinion changed when I finally got a copy.
Having to wait meant that I skipped the dreaded "beta versions".

I'll have to look into the actual angles of view the lens provides as I'd like something wider than the FA31, but I'm still hesitant to buy lenses that don't work on film. I enjoy shooting with an LX and ME Super and $1,000 is a lot for me to spend on a lens that only works on my K-5 and if/when Pentax releases a full frame, if it vignettes on full frame, I'd sell it at a loss.
01-25-2014, 04:24 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Well, Rakuten might still have an FA 20-35/4 available.
If the aperture is fast enough for you it's a very nice lens and takes great photos at f/4.5. I came close to keeping it, but when I got the FA20 I decided to let it go. I now use the DA*16-50 when I want zoom. I think it's the better choice overall for APS-C, but I realize the DA*16-50 may now cost more than the $600ish price I paid used a couple of years ago or so.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 wasn't mentioned, but since we're talking about the DA 20-40, I thought I would bring it up as well.
Even though I generally prefer Pentax rendering, I think this Sigma deserves serious consideration if the AF is fast enough. The build quality of the recent Sigma 8-16 I bought has impressed me so much I'd now consider adding other newer Sigmas to my lens stable, if they provided a real benefit. And like the 8-16, no one else offers (or has ever created) anything like the new Sigma 18-35/1.8.

Last edited by DSims; 01-25-2014 at 04:35 AM.
01-25-2014, 05:38 AM   #26
Veteran Member

K30/2.8. I like the quote in the lens reviews. The K30 is not the poor man's FA31, the FA31 is the rich man's K30.
01-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Orloff Quote
K30/2.8. I like the quote in the lens reviews. The K30 is not the poor man's FA31, the FA31 is the rich man's K30.
How different is it from the K28/3.5 people rave about?
01-26-2014, 12:56 AM   #28
Pentaxian

The K f/3.5 wide angles (28 and 35) are beautiful lenses that produce great IQ, but due to being slow they're hard to focus indoors, even with a Katzeye installed.
01-26-2014, 01:48 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

why don't you consider some Sigma fast zooms?
the original Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 DC Macro ( non HSM) , can get one in perfect conditions for under $200,
17mm is very useful indoors, landscapes and while walking through old cities with narrow streets.
2.8 is very convenient for lowlight and indoors.
My favourite and most used lens for years.
Recently I purchased new Sigma Contemporary 17-70 2.8-4 DC Macro HSM has better coating and silent fast AF, very well build ,excellent performer:
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 Contemporary - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
There is also Tamron 17-50 2.8 , great lens but for my liking has just not enough reach as a universal walk-around and traveling lens and feels more plasticky but in your case for indoors might be just perfect.
After using zoom for some months you will be able to pinpoint what focal length is the most used by you and you could consider a prime if exist.
For me the ideal indoors prime would be 17mm or wider 2.0 or faster but at this stage does not exist.
01-26-2014, 02:02 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The Sigma 30 and Pentax 31 (at 2 or 3 X the price) both have fans. Someone should be along soon recommending an old manual 28 :-)

Just about to.

In all seriousness, I have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and an old Takumar Bayonet (not even a "proper" Tak) 28mm f/2.8, and I much prefer the old 28mm. It's just a superb little lens.

My "Single in..." challenge month with the Sigma.

My photos with the "takette".