Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2008, 06:02 AM   #1

Tamron 28-200 Asp. XR IF (non-DI)

Does anybody have this lens? Just found a used one for $$, what do you think of it on the K10?

04-12-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
Inactive Account

yep i have one on my k10d. looking to replace it at some point but probably not for a while as i never really use anything above 75mm.

it was my first lens and i don't use it that much any more so it's difficult for me to give any objective juice on it. it's pretty compact, with a good weight and reasonable build quality... both the focusing and zoom rings move with quite a nice motion. perhaps the zoom is a little stiff around 50-100mm but i like it that way. i don't get any problems with AF - in fact it is faster than some lenses i have seen reviewed as having good autofocus speed, however it will struggle in low light due to poor max. aperture especially at the long end. IQ is acceptable - i've taken some really sharp shots, in fact i've even taken some good ones at the long end... but a cheap compact superzoom is never going to blow your socks of is it? especially not for $$! i'd go for it at that price if you need something to cover that focal length. i've had it for nearly a year with no problems except one spec of dust.

can probably give you some test shots if you tell me what you need but not for a couple of days 'cos i'm off back to uni tomorrow.
04-12-2008, 08:13 AM   #3

I have one that I've used on a k100 and a k20. It's actually surprisengly sharp and a really nice walk around lens. For a small amount of money, it works well. I actually like it up to 200 mm better than a 70-300. Less CA and sharper.

It's also nice when you go somewhere were they have lens limits (arenas, etc). Becuase it's small when at 28mm, no one ever looks at it. You just have to be careful when it's zoomed all the way out.
04-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi,
I got this lens recently havent tried it yet fully, taken some shots with the popup flash. I think lens is quite good I bought it for 150$, but its he only AF lens I have except the Kit lens.
If you are low on budget you can go for this it wont let you down.

Here are some of my sample shots no PP direct jpgs out of camera, default settings.

Enjoy.

04-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

it's surprising how often this question has come up! i think it's the third time i've seen it.
i purchased this lens for about $150 and plan to use it as a backup when i need telephoto, but it's gotten very good reviews here FM Reviews - AF 28-200MM F/3.8-5.6 XR Aspherical (IF) Macro

lots of praise for it's sharpness and surprisingly well built at as well with a zoom lock which isn't even necessary cuz the lens doesn't creep at all. i find that the atuofocus hunts a bit
04-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
IMHO

This lens is a great deal used (100-150 USD). Image quality is quite good. It's *very* compact, and has a very usable zoom range.

The earlier models are much bigger, I had the 28-300, and I wouldn't recommend the lenses before the XR designation. Although my old 28-300 did have very good image quality. . it was *much* larger and heavier than the post XR lens versions.
04-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I bought it. It was mounted on a later film body which came with it at the price

It's really not a bad lens, it did a few test shots. It's nice and compact and can be very sharp when stopped down to f/8. And it will help me to find out what to spend my money on - whether or not a high quality tele zoom would be worth the money for me.

Color redition is not quite perfect though, but who cares as long as there's postprocessing

PS: I discovered the German product description from Tamron, including a note that it was the test winner in a German photo magazine
04-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My daughter shoots with this lens on her K10D and won't even let me borrow it for the afternoon! In short, she loves the lens. For the money, it is pretty hard to beat. I think we got her copy new for $185.

Steve

04-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
it's surprising how often this question has come up! i think it's the third time i've seen it.
i purchased this lens for about $150 and plan to use it as a backup when i need telephoto, but it's gotten very good reviews here FM Reviews - AF 28-200MM F/3.8-5.6 XR Aspherical (IF) Macro

lots of praise for it's sharpness and surprisingly well built at as well with a zoom lock which isn't even necessary cuz the lens doesn't creep at all. i find that the atuofocus hunts a bit
well i wouldn't call that a "very good review".
04-19-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by badbrother Quote
well i wouldn't call that a "very good review".
it's a good review considering
-it's a super zoom
-its market price is <$150
-most users had positive remarks about sharpness, colour and contrast

it's also faster at 200 then the tamron 18-200 lens (and i'm guessing the 18-250 as well)

Last edited by k100d; 04-19-2008 at 08:16 AM.