Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
New option to consider soon (and to me a 'game changer' if Pentax gets it right)
The yet to be released Pentax Q tele macro.
This is perhaps my most anticipated item from Pentax for the first half of this year.
Personally, I'm not so excited about it,
since I've been using K-mount macros on the K2Q adapter.

That said, I am disappointed that the standard Q lenses (01, 02)
do not have the macro capabilities of P&S lenses.

---------- Post added 02-11-14 at 12:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
I've been looking over K-mount macro lens options, and have made myself a price list for decision later.
Only 1:2 (but with aperture rings for "dumb" extension tubes), and discontinued,
but there are the Zeiss ZK 50/2 and ZK 100/2 Makro-Planars.
Superb universal lenses, around (sometimes less than) USD 1K for the 50,
but it's a seller's market for the 100, arguably one of the best lenses on K-mount.

Carl Zeiss 50mm F2 ZK Makro-Planar T* Lens Reviews - Carl Zeiss Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Carl Zeiss 100mm F2 ZK Makro-Planar T* Lens Reviews - Carl Zeiss Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

02-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #17
Pentaxian

One option that has not been mentioned (I think) is the Sigma EX 180 f3.5 APO DG Macro. It's big and heavy, pretty pricey (normally sells used for about 1.4x the street price when it was available new), and not often seen on the used market, but it's the most affordable long tele dedicated macro for Pentax users. It may not be in the same class optically as the legendary A*200 f4 ED Macro and the FA* 200 f4 ED[IF] Macro, but it's not very far behind IMO.

I picked up my Sigma 180 Macro just after it was discontinued. I had been looking for one of the Pentax 200s that I could justify buying for a couple of years, then decided to pop for the Sigma when the supply of new ones started drying up. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it controls CA/PF significantly better than any of my premium Pentax teles (A* 200/2.8, A* 300/4, FA* 300/4.5, and FA* 300/2.8). I'm not primarily a macro shooter, and only have 3 dedicated macro lenses (A 50 f2.8, D FA 100 f2.8, and the Sigma 180). The Sigma is easily my favorite despite being something of a beast. The longer working distance is much less intimidating to the creatures I like to shoot, and it also makes configuring on camera flash much easier since the flash angles are much shallower.

Scott
02-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I recently picked up a Pentax-A 100/2.8 macro, which is kinda legendary, surprised no one has mentioned it. I haven't had a chance to really use it yet though...
02-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
While we're at it, also the A 50mm F2.8.

02-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Personally, I'm not so excited about it,
since I've been using K-mount macros on the K2Q adapter.

That said, I am disappointed that the standard Q lenses (01, 02)
do not have the macro capabilities of P&S lenses.[COLOR="Silver"]

Its personal of course.

With a native lens with built in shutter.
The following are possible :
1. Wide open operation even for aperture settings smaller than that (useful to get a clear image on the LCD).
On the current adapters, the adapted lenses have closed apertures (often f8 for macro) and the LCD gains up, resulting in a noisy LCD image for focusing.
2. Easy daytime macro shooting with 1/250 external flash and 1/1000 internal flash sync speeds (that internal flash can also trigger external flash like the YN560II in S2 mode)
3. PTTL for the macros
4. Much lighter macro setup