Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2014, 12:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does 'Legacy' Simply Mean You Can't Buy It New Anymore?

Probably a stupid question, but what exactly does 'Legacy' in the context of P or K- mount lenses mean?
1) Strictly an OEM Pentax-brand lens that's out of production?
2) Any P or K or M42 lens, from any maker, as long as it's not currently in production?
3) Manufactured before a certain date, like 1990, from any maker? Just Pentax?
4) None of the above?
"Legacy glass" gets tossed around a lot, including by me. I'd like to see how PF' ers really define it.
Ron

01-26-2014, 12:53 AM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I take it to mean anything other than a current lens model, from any manufacturer, that can be used on a particular body. The term "legacy" is used in the lens database to distinguish older Sigma and Tamron lenses from current models. So, strictly speaking, if you can't buy it new it becomes legacy. But "Legacy glass" sounds much better than "old lens", don't you think?
01-26-2014, 02:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I m not sure myself.
My def.: 'Legendary glass' that had gain a certain status for their merit from a long passed glory days, but perhaps still can purchased in the used market.

Like Pentax K28/2, smc Tak 15/3.5 asph, , and more...
Every brand has some legendary glass...
01-26-2014, 03:39 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Means "discontinued" in production, I guess?

01-26-2014, 03:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's not just a lens term, it's a general term for items no longer made or supported.

A common use is to have legacy software, which is where you keep an older version of some software installed in case it's needed.

At work we still have MYOB V16 installed, despite the current version being V19 I think.
V16 is legacy software, it's no longer sold, and no longer supported by MYOB, but we keep it since some clients still use it.
01-26-2014, 04:21 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Does 'Legacy' Simply Mean
It means all my lenses.
01-26-2014, 04:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

A "legacy" lens is cranky old glass with no AF nor auto diaphragm and outdated coatings that may need an additional adapter to fit a modern camera that folks like to putz around with just for the sake of putzing around.

More seriously, to the extent that a lens is capable of meeting modern optical and mechanical performance, to that extent, it is not legacy glass. My FA 35, for instance, is not "legacy" glass whether readily available or not.

Last edited by wildman; 01-26-2014 at 05:15 AM.
01-26-2014, 06:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Legacy glass can also mean your lenses that you have had for a long period of time. If you buy an "old les" that you've never had before, it's not yet been part of *your* legacy. :-)

01-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Yeah, I always thought of legacy as no longer under warranty, no longer in production. But it still functions, even if under limitations. I wouldn't necessarily call lenses that require an adapter "legacy", but m42 might be an exception, since it was actually used by the brand and works.. well, just as well as ever
01-26-2014, 07:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Pentax presently offers FA, D FA, DA, DA* and DA Limited where FA are full frame film camera lenses but are fully compatible with Pentax DSLRs. I would say that anything that came before the FA lens type would be "legacy".
01-26-2014, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
"Legacy glass" gets tossed around a lot, including by me. I'd like to see how PF' ers really define it.
If I'm going to buy it, e.g. from Craigslist, it's just an old, obsolete lens.
But if I'm going to use it or sell it, it's definitely going to become legacy glass!
01-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
A "legacy" lens is cranky old glass with no AF nor auto diaphragm and outdated coatings that may need an additional adapter to fit a modern camera that folks like to putz around with just for the sake of putzing around.
Almost all my legacy glass has auto diaphragm (as opposed to automatic aperture control) and most of my photography is done using that class of tools. So tell me, if I were to shoot exclusively with my current production glass would my work be more or less "putzing around"?

Oh, but the way...AF is for wooses.

For the OP, synonyms for legacy might be helpful:

Synonyms:
bequest, birthright, heritage, inheritance, patrimony

I think it would be safe to say that legacy glass represents that which is the basis or foundation for the current product. The term is not a commentary on quality, price, desirability or performance.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-26-2014 at 03:26 PM.
01-26-2014, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
If I'm going to buy it, e.g. from Craigslist, it's just an old, obsolete lens.
But if I'm going to use it or sell it, it's definitely going to become legacy glass!

Steve
01-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote

More seriously, to the extent that a lens is capable of meeting modern optical and mechanical performance, to that extent, it is not legacy glass. My FA 35, for instance, is not "legacy" glass whether readily available or not.
Oh I love this...
01-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
A common use is to have legacy software, which is where you keep an older version of some software installed in case it's needed.
That is a good way of looking at it. I have several legacy software products on my computers. All work as well now as on the day they were superseded by a replacement version or product. Do they work as well as the potential replacement products? Yes. That is why they are still installed.

The same is true of the "legacy"/"vintage" glass in my camera bag. Everything in the bag is purpose-appropriate, regardless of age.

Steve