Step 1
The base: 8-16 and 31
Step 2
Your call if you want a prime to extend the range or a zoom: 70 or 50-135
Step 3
Do you still need more range: 55-300
Step 4
A standard zoom can be useful for events; 17-70

My main question however is why you feel that you have to sell? After all, you already have them. And you don't have to carry them all Just carry what you need depending on the type of shoot. I usually only carry 2 lenses, the FA31Ltd and the DFA100WR. If I go for wildlife, I'll swap the DFA for the DA55-300. I don't have an UWA, so for architecture my DA18-55 has to do (more than likely in combination with DFA100WR).

01-27-2014, 05:03 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kraigg007 Quote
This post is not about my wife, our relationship, or our finances. It is about thinning the heard and maximizing my kit. I love all the items I have. I am not hurting for the funds, but admit I went overboard. I purchased every lens I ever wanted with the exception of the 15mm Limited, DA 300, and DA * 60-250. I feel I can do without those since my 8-16 is razor sharp and I am very satisfied with my 55-300. It is a little slow but the color is spot on and the images are very sharp. All I need since I don't do any sports photography.

I actually agree with her, but have a hard time getting rid of a couple of them because they are all so great and fit a purpose.

My wife and I have reviewed the post and he is happy that I have valued her concerns and took steps to narrow my collection. At this point she sees the value in having all the lenses I have. You must understand if you are not into photography, you feel a camera is a camera and a lens is is lens. But what I have found is that lenses are like limbs and body parts. The Body is the heart and brains, but the lens are like arms, legs, fingers, and your joints. You can function without them, but the body works so much better with them.

Probably selling 1 or 2 of the lenses now instead of all three. While I have the freedom to keep them all marriage is about a partnership and I value the her so much more than these lenses, so in the next week or so look for me to list a lens or two.

Still undecided but leaning towards getting rid of the 50 and or 35.
Let me ask some questions

Do you carry all the kit at once? Probably a mistake.

When shooting, how frequently do you change lenses?

I have something like 55 lenses. I can't carry them all. I take out a kit purpose selected. It can be as few as 2 or as many as 5-6 depending on destination, time , planned activities etc.

It can be zooms, when with others and fitting my hobby into their schedule, or a bagful of m42 primes if I am on my own
01-27-2014, 05:19 AM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread is getting ridiculous. You either know enough to have already decided what you are doing, or you know so little you will ignore everything we suggest.
01-27-2014, 06:08 AM   #49

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for all the input ladies and gentlemen

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
This thread is getting ridiculous. You either know enough to have already decided what you are doing, or you know so little you will ignore everything we suggest.

lol

Thanks everyone for the input. I definitely value all the input and have come to a couple conclusions from the threads.

1) I am blessed to be in a lasting relationship with my lovely wife who is supportive of me and my interest.
2) I made some wise decisions on my lens purchases.
3) Every lens and body has a purpose and sweet spot, so it is up to the photographer to get the most out of it.
4) This community is filled with people who are willing to share their experience and learnings over the years. To me this forum was the single most important reason I chose the Pentax format.
5) I have a lot to learn, but am enjoying the learning process, so thanks for your assistance.

Thanks again to all. From all the input it seems that the 35mm limited, 50mm, and the 55-300mm are the lens that got the most votes to ditch. I will probably end up selling a couple lenses in the near future. Ironically besides the 35mm these are the lenses that I use the least. Great input everyone.

Pentax Forum Community...You are the best!