Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2014, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kraigg007 Quote

So from the list which of the others would you keep in your bag? The wife says I can't keep them all.
Buy a few more and she will forget how many you have

01-26-2014, 05:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sell da35 and da50, since you have fa31 and da70.
01-26-2014, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want to make an income from photography you do *not* have too many lenses. If you like and use them all, keep them.

However:

Although I am in the process of falling in love with the DA35 macro, the Sigma 17-70 will still get you pretty close, and the FA31 will beat it for general use.
The DA50 and DA70 are fine primes, but the DA*50-135 will fulfil most of your portrait needs with the versatility of a WR zoom. Super-narrow depth of field is not all it's cracked out to be.
You have to keep the 8-16 and 55-300, because they do things none of the others can.

So if my hand was forced I would sell the DA35, DA50 and DA70.
01-26-2014, 06:12 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would simulate the types of paid work you think will be most likely and then practice photographing in those setting using the lenses you have--then sell the ones that don't produce the look-and-feel you want your work to have.

01-26-2014, 06:38 AM   #20
Site Supporter

What is her objection to your current lineup? Is it the price, which you've already spent? Is it space that your gear takes up? Is it really the lenses or is it something else?
01-26-2014, 06:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Keep them all but only keep 3 at home at time. Put the other ones at your work place if you can, then switch them up every so often.
01-26-2014, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Keep them all but only keep 3 at home at time. Put the other ones at your work place if you can, then switch them up every so often.
I'm pretty confident this violates the inherent trust of marriage, and if that were legitimately a course of action to be considered, far greater issues await than a few pieces of glass and plastic...

-Heie

01-26-2014, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter

As a wife, I can promise you that the lenses are NOT the problem. What they represent/mean is. And in general, it's either time, money or attention. Or space.
01-26-2014, 07:11 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
As a wife, I can promise you that the lenses are NOT the problem. What they represent/mean is. And in general, it's either time, money or attention. Or space.
Crap. Caught red handed again,
01-26-2014, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kraigg007 Quote
I now have what is known as a good problem to have...I have too many great lenses for my Pentax K-5II. They are all great copies but I can't take them all with me.

The wife says I can't keep them all.

There is some overlap in your list but I don't see any serious addition. Perhaps you just need to explain it to her. How many pairs of shoes does she own? Purses? Bottle and jars of makeup?

I own a spade, long handle round point shovel, a D-handle round point shovel, 2 snow shovels one push one scoop, 2 flat nose shovels one D handle and one long handle and a clam shell post digger. Each of those tools serves a specific purpose when digging or moving materials. Amatuer diggers sometimes try to use the wrong tool. Sure I can't take all my tools to every job but I take the ones I plan to use.

Now I an better equipped for digging than I am for photography, but I'm working on it.
01-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #26
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If you want to make an income from photography you do *not* have too many lenses. If you like and use them all, keep them.

However:

Although I am in the process of falling in love with the DA35 macro, the Sigma 17-70 will still get you pretty close, and the FA31 will beat it for general use.
The DA50 and DA70 are fine primes, but the DA*50-135 will fulfil most of your portrait needs with the versatility of a WR zoom. Super-narrow depth of field is not all it's cracked out to be.
You have to keep the 8-16 and 55-300, because they do things none of the others can.

So if my hand was forced I would sell the DA35, DA50 and DA70.
This, as long as we keep to the question asked. However...

I'd recommend figuring out what the real problem is. Not that it's any of my business, of course.
01-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #27

Original Poster
Great insight. Please elaborate, because you are right the money is already spent, they don't take up a ton of space, and I got great deals on the gear. I think it is because she was the original one that wanted a DSLR, but I took it up 5 notches. I blew the budget by a couple grand but I am paying for it out of my business account so it isn't a family expense beyond the camera body and 1 lens.

My mentality is always to get the best and have no regrets. I feel I have a kit that will last me 5-7 years, so I need your wife insight.

Thanks for adding your comments, but more would be helpful.
01-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #28
Pentaxian

That's a fact, Jack! Often, it's money and space. My wife doesn't begrudge the time I spend on photography because she knows I love it and she wants me to be happy. However, she doesn't want me buying lenses when we need to remodel our bathroom...and she draws the line at my collection overflowing my "man cave".
01-26-2014, 07:40 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's called divorce.
01-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #30
Veteran Member

As a hobbyist, I can deal with my nearly all-prime kit. But for paid work, and if there is any chance whatsoever that there will be any event photography in your future, or moving people/pets, you need good zooms. So I would keep all the zooms and your 31, which covers a huge range, and none of those are crappy zooms either.

The 55-300 isn't fast enough for indoor work, so maybe you will need to think about trading up to something faster, but you can decide that later since you don't have any other telephoto lenses in your kit anyhow.

I can't see keeping the 70 even though you specifically mentioned portrait work, because that is well-covered by the 50-135, itself no slouch.