Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
35mm FF vs 35mm crop angle of view on APS-C camera

Hi everybody,

I've had very positive experience with a 35mm 1.8 Sony APS-C lens on A35 aps-c camera in the past, it used to be very versatile and favorite lens for me which has also improved my skills in fact. But now I'm happy pentaxian and looking to get a Pentax SMC-FA 35mm f/2 AL which has very favorable reviews on the net, but this lens is full frame.
So my question:
will I have same field-of-view and same magnification, etc on my APS-C Pentax bodies?
I see this lens delivers excellent iq, but I would also like to have similar experience like I had with sony 35mm aps-c, just to be comfortable enough to use it indoor taking pictures of my kids and for some outdoor landscape shooting as well.

01-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It should look approximately the same. A 35mm is a 35mm. It will give you roughly the same field of view as a 52mm would on full frame.
01-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Crop factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A 'Full-frame' lens simply projects a larger image circle than an 'APS' lens. In fact, the DA 35/2.4 has a large enough image circle to be used with FF cameras.
01-26-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think we had a couple threads about this exact same question.
The DA 35mm and FA 35mm will have the exact same field of view on your APS-C camera. On a full frame/film camera, a lens made for crop sensors might exhibit poor edge performance and heavy vignetting (dark corners).
The lens' focal length is a property of the lens, but its field of view also depends on the recording medium (film/sensor size). On a bigger sensor, the field of view appears bigger. Provided the lens projects a big enough image circle. The magnification is a slightly weirder question. Magnification depends on the focal length and minimum focus distance, so different 35mm lenses might have different magnification (the 35mm macro shows this, as it allows a macro 1:1 magnification). The other thing is, on crop sensors, magnification appears to be bigger, due to sensor being smaller (edges cut off)

The main advantage you get by buying the FA 35mm (click for user reviews) over the DA 35mm is a) aperture ring b) comes with lens hood c) f2.0 instead of f2.4 d) longer focus throw (easier manual focus, but might have slower AF) e) distance scales f) You can use it on film/full frame cameras e) some say it has better IQ
The DA 35mm f2.4 (reviews) has the advantages: a) cheaper b) smaller/lighter, c) smaller focus throw (probably has faster AF) d) tests indicate the DA also projects a full frame image circle, so it can be used on film/FF cameras e) some say it has more modern lens coatings, so it might have better flare resistance

Pentax also produces a DA 35mm f2.8 limited macro. This lens is macro, so it allows very near focusing, up to 1:1 magnification (you always get max magnification at nearest focus the lens allows), but its FoV will be the same as the other 35mm lenses. It is a great lens, but its AF might be slow, since it is a macro lens.
There is also a sample photo gallery that you can use: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/samplesearch.php

tl;dr: All 35mm lenses will give you the same field of view on your camera (FA, DA, even Sigma and Takumar). If you use AF and like automation, get DA 35mm. If you want to use it on film and want extra manual features, get the FA.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 01-26-2014 at 11:38 AM.