Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

What to buy

I have a DL and will buy a K10 some day. I also have the kit lens and a Tamron 70-300. My passions are birds and churchs. These passions, alas, require lenses at different ends of the spectrum.

Right now, finances dictate buying something a little less expensive than the Bigma which seems to be the only long lens readily avialable for the K-mount. So I have decided to go for the wide lens. Choices seem to be:

Pentax 14mm F/2.8 at the raw edge of the price range

Pentax 10-17 fisheye which is affordable but I'm not fond of fish-eye effect. Does the distortion go away at 12-14mm.

Pentax 12-24 zoom which is not listed on the pentax-usa web site.

Sigma 10-20mm with problems noted on this site.

I'm looking for quality now. I'm not interested in buying something I will want to replace in a year or two for some other lens that I could by now. That's one reason for shopping for the wide lens. I seem to have more quality choices here than on the long end.

On the whole, what I do not like about my church pictures now is that I cannot get inside the clutter of parking signs and power lines to get the church as it looked 100 years ago.

In my place, what would you buy and why.

01-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Singinman Quote
Pentax 10-17 fisheye which is affordable but I'm not fond of fish-eye effect. Does the distortion go away at 12-14mm.
Hi Singinman,

I bought the fisheye a few weeks ago. Please check the link below. You will see the shot of my local city hall first at 17 mm and then at 10 mm settings. The curvature effect at 17 mm, as I've heard, can be corrected with PP, but the lens is not designed to take architecture photos in the way that a rectilinear wide angle does (which is the lens I believe you need).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/2138-i-caught-fish.html

I too am looking for a wide-angle rectilinear but don't have the cash to purchase yet (LOL). I've heard good things about the 12-24 mm. It is still listed at the Pentax Canada website (link below):

Pentax Canada - DA 12-24mm F4

Repost if you need help finding pricing and I'll be glad to help you shop.

Hope this helps.
01-21-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I can't tell you what you should buy, but the DA 12-24 is listed on the Pentax website. I was poking around on that site earlier today.

Also, I have a DA 10-17 - it's a great deal of fun, but it's a fisheye throughout the entire range.

Jerry
01-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks

The fish-eye is deffinately off the list after seeing your replies.

I checked again on 12-24 and saw it on the P-usa site where I should have seen the the first time I looked. B&H has it listed for $619 after rebate but it is out of stock. This looks like it might be the lens for me.

01-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter

The fish-eye is deffinately off the list after seeing your replies.

I checked again on 12-24 and saw it on the P-usa site where I should have seen the the first time I looked. B&H has it listed for $619 after rebate but it is out of stock. This looks like it might be the lens for me.
I don't have one, but I've seen it praised by many people.

I went to the B&H today for the first time in weeks. I was surprised to see so many Pentax DA lenses out of stock or back ordered.

Jerry
01-21-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have had no problems with the Sigma 10-20

A few samples

Sigma EX 10-20mm Photo Gallery by joele at pbase.com
01-21-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Joele

Now I have the Sigma on my list to consider.
01-21-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sorry, I failed to mention that point about availability. Pentax 12-24 mm lenses seem to be produced in such low volumes or they are picked up so quickly that it is very hard to find stock. The rebate program you have in the US is also causing problems.

I didn't mean to mislead you to Pentax as your only choice. If you are on a tight timeline, the Sigma is not a bad choice either.

01-21-2007, 09:11 PM   #9

Singinman,
I have a similar requirement for lenses although not as long as you are looking for for the birds. I am mostly doing kid/family and then scenery. The kit lens doesn't go as wide as I would like but I have a definite $ threshold.

I know several members have Zenitars but believe they are 16mm. Maybe one of them would weigh in . . . . . ? I have been meaning to ask the question, you just sort of beat me to it.

I guess if the Zenitar was wide enough, then the 16 -45 might work too.

Good luck,

Ed
01-22-2007, 12:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Some of the earlier posts regarding fish eye 10-17mm mentions no fish eye distorsion at 17mm focal length. It is rectilinear shot at 17mm in fact.

Any dissagreement?
01-22-2007, 12:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Some of the earlier posts regarding fish eye 10-17mm mentions no fish eye distorsion at 17mm focal length. It is rectilinear shot at 17mm in fact.

Any dissagreement?
Check my link to my fisheye test shots near the start of this thread.

17 mm to me is still somewhat fishy - if this is rectilinear, it's got quite some barrel distortion. I hear its correctable though. I know for sure that the 12-24 at 17mm is nowhere close to this distorted.

Not flaming...just didn't realize the time...2:41 am. LOL. I'm hitting the sack now.
01-22-2007, 03:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi Singinman,
Nice to know that I'm no longer the lone Pentaxian in Hampton Roads. Do you ever make it over to the southside?

I also have the 10-17, and it can be defished in software from about 14mm and above, but it is not an ideal solution for critical WA rectilinear photography. The DA14 f2.8 is a superb lens. It may not be as versatile as a zoom, but the f2.8 max aperture has advantages, and the IQ will be slightly better.

Cheers
-Alan
01-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Decision

I went to my local camera store, where the sales manager is a Nikon using semi-pro nature photographer and asked his advice. He said the Pentax is the better lens of the two. He did not have one in stock and could not get one before the rebate goes away so he gave me his blessing to buy on-line and even suggested two or three places to shop.

Can't ask for better service than that. He also said he had seen several postings on various boards showing Nikon and Canon pros buying the K10 just to have a camera for using the Pentax prime lenses which are better than anything Canon or Nikon make.
01-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #14

I have the 10-20 sigma ex lens, can say that it has produced just what I wanted in a wide angle lens.
02-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
The Waiting Begins

I checked B&H shortly after reading the last post here. They were out of stock, but offered a check box for e-mail notification of new stock arriving. I got that message last Thursday and ordered it. I should receive the lens Tuesday if we do not get too much snow.

Thank you all who took time to respond to my original post. I will post pictures soon, I hope.