Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member
jerryleejr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 420
Getting serious with my kit...

Ok I have had a couple years to experiment with my k5 and now want to get serious with my lenses. I have been fortunate that the only lens I purchased was my Pentax 10-17 fisheye it was on my short list and kinda right price right time deal. All my other lenses I've had and none are "top of the line" but gave me a good learning experience. So here is my plan in order. Haven't decided on HD or older variant but most are optically the same regardless. And I'm just a hobbyist doing family activities etc...but I really think this will cover my needs

JJ

Pentax 100mm macro WR
Pentax FA43 limited
Pentax FA77 limited
Pentax 55-300WR (already have 18-55WR)

Once I have these I will add
Pentax 60-250mm
Pentax FA31 limited
Pentax DA15 limited

01-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,417
That's a pretty good set, not cheap but good.
01-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member
jerryleejr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 420
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
That's a pretty good set, not cheap but good.
I haven't found a cheap hobby yet lol, but I wanted to know my list before wasting money by trial and error...
And it won't happen over night but should be a nice 5 year plan...

JJ
01-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,494
What about a decent "fast" normal zoom?

01-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member
jerryleejr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 420
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
What about a decent "fast" normal zoom?
I have a tamron 70-300 and an older Pentax 70-210...
Does that count?

JJ
01-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,494
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I have a tamron 70-300 and an older Pentax 70-210...

Does that count?



JJ

Those are more on the tele end. I'm thinking something like the sigma 18-35mm f1.8 or the DA*16-50mm f2.8. The DA* is a fantastic lens, and in my opinion the SDM issues are embellished as I've had two copies without concerns.
01-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Heie's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 954
QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Pentax 100mm macro WR
Pentax FA43 limited
Pentax FA77 limited
Pentax 55-300WR (already have 18-55WR)

Once I have these I will add
Pentax 60-250mm/HD 55-300 WR (pick one, not plan on both 'down the line' - that's dumb and a waste of money - comparative review will be posted within 12 hours)
Pentax FA31 limited
Pentax DA15 limited
I would rearrange as follows:

DA* 60-250
D FA 100mm Macro WR
FA 77
DA15 (smc version, not HD - for the 15 the smc is preferred because of the straight aperture blades - cleaner starbursts)

The rest worry about when new opportunities come about and new lenses arrive, possibly changing your priorities. But if I were you, and since I own (or have owned) most of the lenses you listed, that is what I would do.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
The DA* is a fantastic lens, and in my opinion the SDM issues are embellished as I've had two copies without concerns.
Agreed, although not going to lie, I'm toying with replacing the DA* 16-50 with the Sigma 18-35 and the DA 20-40. One small weather sealed standard zoom for travel/hiking, and the other low light monster for event/indoor work. Of course I will wait until the 18-35 actually debuts in K mount to see the user reviews, but the 20-40 already has a very promising start amongst users. I haven't handled one yet.

-Heie
01-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member
jerryleejr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 420
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Those are more on the tele end. I'm thinking something like the sigma 18-35mm f1.8 or the DA*16-50mm f2.8. The DA* is a fantastic lens, and in my opinion the SDM issues are embellished as I've had two copies without concerns.
Ah, those haven't crossed my radar yet but I will look into it...just went with lenses that matched the average FL of most of my photos...

JJ

01-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Kozlok's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,668
I like your list, but you could add the Sigma 30/1.4 way ahead of the 31 because it is so much cheaper, and any blind comparison I've seen it is just as good as the 31 except in the very corners. I'm not a "corners" guy, so I don't care. It could fill in for the 43 for awhile, too.
01-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member
jerryleejr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 420
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I would rearrange as follows:

DA* 60-250
D FA 100mm Macro WR
FA 77
DA15 (smc version, not HD - for the 15 the smc is preferred because of the straight aperture blades - cleaner starbursts)

The rest worry about when new opportunities come about and new lenses arrive, possibly changing your priorities. But if I were you, and since I own (or have owned) most of the lenses you listed, that is what I would do.



Agreed, although not going to lie, I'm toying with replacing the DA* 16-50 with the Sigma 18-35 and the DA 20-40. One small weather sealed standard zoom for travel/hiking, and the other low light monster for event/indoor work. Of course I will wait until the 18-35 actually debuts in K mount to see the user reviews, but the 20-40 already has a very promising start amongst users. I haven't handled one yet.

-Heie
I agree, however budget is dictating my list. Otherwise that would be the exact order but I've read so many great things on the 43 limited as well...

JJ
01-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,494
@jerryleejr The three FA Limiteds should never be overlooked. I love my 43. To be honest though, the DA 40 is just as good and a tad cheaper. I got both and I'm very torn on which one I enjoy better. I personally think the DA40 is sharper, FA43 has better contrast/color.

The 77 though is my favouritest lens ever of all time. I can never find a fault in it and its the focal length I "see" in so to speak. So if your more a medium-tele guy (which it seems like you are) then the 77 would be my top choice.

Regarding the normal zoom, if you find yourself in the normal-tele fields, then yes, delay your acquisition of a normal zoom. Seems like we have similar focal length preferences, and I can tell you while I find the DA*16-50 an invaluable tool, it's not a lens I reach for very often. The DA*50-135, FA 77, FA 43 can get me by in the majority of situations.
01-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
I agree that it's a good list. But I'd also change the order/options a little.

Personally, I would (and did) get the DA*50-135 instead of the DA*60-250, then add the F/FA/DA*300 later (or possibly the FA/DA*200 or a fast MF 200). Alternately you could get the FA77 first. Either one will give you the greater benefit right away - dramatically better photos. And getting one (or both) of these lenses first will help clarify where you want to go next. This will save you time and money in the long run.


I really wouldn't ignore the benefit of getting the DA*16-50 + DA*50-135 first. They will cover the entire 16-135mm range with very good quality, and eliminate any urgent "need" to get primes in this range right away. Then fill in primes as desired.


I'd also get a cheaper macro for now - the Cosina 100/3.5 (available in AF too) is a great example. I have both it and the D FA 100 WR. I agree that the D FA 100 WR is eventually the one to get - best overall macro I know of, with a solid 9+ in every category I can think of, rather than a 10 in one aspect and then a 7 or 8 in another. Every other ~100mm macro lens in-between the price of these two was just a compromise that wasn't worth the extra money over the Cosina, so I sold all the rest of them.



The bottom line is that the IQ from the DA*50-135, FA77, and *300 lenses is so good that, in and of themselves, they will get you better photos. They are also suitable for most any type of photographer - even the 300, once you start using it. The rest are more subject to personal needs or preferences.

For me, the DA*16-50 fills the need for satisfying images whenever a zoom and/or WR is needed within that range. The 18-55 didn't do this for me. Others might be happy with the DA16-45 (my second choice), DA17-70, or Tamron 17-50/2.8, for example. But I do think it's very important to fill this range with a zoom lens you like soon. Nobody's ever created an outstanding DSLR lens in this range (for any mount), so get one you like and then fill in primes as needed.

Last edited by DSims; 01-27-2014 at 04:45 PM.
01-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Wired's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,494
another great macro is the Tamron 90mm 2.8 di. fantastic lens.
01-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #14
Site Supporter
geomez's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Preskit Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,561
Have you considered 3rd. Party lenses? Like Wired said, the Tamron 90mm is a great macro lens and cheaper than the Pentax 100mm WR. Also the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 is a fast, sharp zoom and can be had at half the price of the DA* 16-50.
01-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member
jerryleejr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 420
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
@jerryleejr The three FA Limiteds should never be overlooked. I love my 43. To be honest though, the DA 40 is just as good and a tad cheaper. I got both and I'm very torn on which one I enjoy better. I personally think the DA40 is sharper, FA43 has better contrast/color.

The 77 though is my favouritest lens ever of all time. I can never find a fault in it and its the focal length I "see" in so to speak. So if your more a medium-tele guy (which it seems like you are) then the 77 would be my top choice.

Regarding the normal zoom, if you find yourself in the normal-tele fields, then yes, delay your acquisition of a normal zoom. Seems like we have similar focal length preferences, and I can tell you while I find the DA*16-50 an invaluable tool, it's not a lens I reach for very often. The DA*50-135, FA 77, FA 43 can get me by in the majority of situations.
For me it's a coin toss both the 43 and 77 are great! It's just the 43 covers a hole sooner and the 77 will do the same later down the line.
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I agree that it's a good list. But I'd also change the order/options a little.
Personally, I would (and did) get the DA*50-135 instead of the DA*60-250, then add the F/FA/DA*300 later (or possibly the FA/DA*200 or a fast MF 200). Alternately you could get the FA77 first. Either one will give you the greater benefit right away - dramatically better photos. And getting one (or both) of these lenses first will help clarify where you want to go next. This will save you time and money in the long run.


I really wouldn't ignore the benefit of getting the DA*16-50 + DA*50-135 first. They will cover the entire 16-135mm range with very good quality, and eliminate any urgent "need" to get primes in this range right away. Then fill in primes as desired.


I'd also get a cheaper macro for now - the Cosina 100/3.5 (available in AF too) is a great example. I have both it and the D FA 100 WR. I agree that the D FA 100 WR is eventually the one to get - best overall macro I know of, with a solid 9+ in every category I can think of, rather than a 10 in one aspect and then a 7 or 8 in another. Every other ~100mm macro lens in-between the price of these two was just a compromise that wasn't worth the extra money over the Cosina, so I sold all the rest of them.



The bottom line is that the IQ from the DA*50-135, FA77, and *300 lenses is so good that, in and of themselves, they will get you better photos. They are also suitable for most any type of photographer - even the 300, once you start using it. The rest are more subject to personal needs or preferences.

For me, the DA*16-50 fills the need for satisfying images whenever a zoom and/or WR is needed within that range. The 18-55 didn't do this for me. Others might be happy with the DA16-45 (my second choice), DA17-70, or Tamron 17-50/2.8, for example. But I do think it's very important to fill this range with a zoom lens you like soon. Nobody's ever created an outstanding DSLR lens in this range (for any mount), so get one you like and then fill in primes as needed.
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
another great macro is the Tamron 90mm 2.8 di. fantastic lens.
I believe the tamron is a great lens just came down build on the Pentax...

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Have you considered 3rd. Party lenses? Like Wired said, the Tamron 90mm is a great macro lens and cheaper than the Pentax 100mm WR. Also the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 is a fast, sharp zoom and can be had at half the price of the DA* 16-50.
I've usually had tamron over the years, and when I look at a FL that the tamron fits I have no issue going that route but for now OEM works. And I'm sure this list isn't all inclusive but need somewhat of a goal and time frame. I can always add to it GOD knows there is always room for one more lens

JJ
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lenses, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with getting images from my camera szmatefy Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 10-18-2013 10:55 AM
Pentax deals are getting serious - harbinger of new releases in Sept? Docrwm Pentax News and Rumors 58 07-30-2013 12:06 PM
Some serious photographer's kit for sale... mgvh Pentax Price Watch 23 10-16-2012 08:54 PM
Samsung NX Getting More Serious macTak Pentax News and Rumors 49 03-02-2011 11:52 PM
Getting acquainted with my new K10D Photogoof Pentax DSLR Discussion 14 01-10-2008 12:57 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:28 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top