Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2008, 07:58 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Peter,

Thanks for the plug for my lens.

If you really want this lens, it would only be $140 total to Canada, Express Mail shipping. In the meantime, if nobody else picks it up, I could wait until early next month for you to get some more money and buy it off of me. If you already haven't signed up for Revolution Money Exchange, you would get $25.00 just for signing up, making your total $115.

As a side note, with RME, if those with U.S. addresses do the same, you would actually be picking this lens up for $100, which is a fabulous deal for such a sharp lens.

I'm really surprised that it hasn't sold already.

Heather

Heather is that a MF or AF lens?

04-13-2008, 08:04 AM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
madisonphotogrl, Oh I understand the $$$ concerns only too well. I'm getting everything set for our wedding season as well.

You can't really go wrong with this lens at the price stated. Cheaper than both and plenty long enough for what you want. If you looked at my other link, the lens is a fine performer and not very big as well. It takes 49mm filters which are common and fairly inexpensive relative to other sizes.

Edit, I just saw your post and it's fully Auto focus. Also good and bright in the viewfinder with an aperture of f4-5.6
04-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I understand the money part of completely. One thing to keep in mind though is this. I believe most photographers will agree...There is no better tool than good glass and good glass cost money. I believe you will be better served to simply wait and save. By the time time you have enough saved up to buy the lens you would really want, it will mean all that much more to..I tell this to people all the time who want to buy an engine from me. If you don't have the money to buy an engine that will win or make you happy, then you should wait and save until you can...Sure I do loose sales because of this, but I feel better knowing I was honest about it. With an engine you can get used to the power you have and after a while it begins to feel slow and you think there is something wrong...Well in the lens world, at least in my own experience even the sharpest of lenses begin to look soft after a while and then you post up an image and someone will comment on how sharp it is, in the same way that engine was feeling slow to you, but then sits on the pole and wins the race...I don't know if this will make sense to anyone but me...Good luck in choosing the right lens...

For a wedding, also consider the Tamron 28-75 F/2.8.
04-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I understand the money part of completely. One thing to keep in mind though is this. I believe most photographers will agree...There is no better tool than good glass and good glass cost money. I believe you will be better served to simply wait and save. By the time time you have enough saved up to buy the lens you would really want, it will mean all that much more to..I tell this to people all the time who want to buy an engine from me. If you don't have the money to buy an engine that will win or make you happy, then you should wait and save until you can...Sure I do loose sales because of this, but I feel better knowing I was honest about it. With an engine you can get used to the power you have and after a while it begins to feel slow and you think there is something wrong...Well in the lens world, at least in my own experience even the sharpest of lenses begin to look soft after a while and then you post up an image and someone will comment on how sharp it is, in the same way that engine was feeling slow to you, but then sits on the pole and wins the race...I don't know if this will make sense to anyone but me...Good luck in choosing the right lens...

For a wedding, also consider the Tamron 28-75 F/2.8.

I guess I should clarify. I am not shooting a wedding.. I am the Bride, it's my wedding. I wanted to have an additional lens because we will be in FL for a week and I'd like to do more than sit on the beach. LOL..

I do understand that the investment is glass is worth the wait.. however I am VERY impatient! LOL. I won't ever need a fast telephoto but i could wait and do more research. I see that most of the zooms out now, either pentax or 3rd party, have an aperature range of 4-5.6 on a 70-300mm reach. All parts being equal what else is there to consider?

04-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
The way I approach filters is this--I make sure that every lens has a UV filter on it in it's correct lens filter size. When you start looking at polarizers and other special effect filters, then it really starts getting expensive. Get these type of filters in the size of your largest lens filter diameter and use step-up rings for the rest of your lenses. In your case, if you were to get the Tamron 70-300, I believe it has a 62mm filter diameter. Assuming that is the largest filter diameter in your lens collection, get the polarizer in the 62mm filter size and then pick up a 52-62mm step-up ring to make it work with the 18-55. A step-up ring is definitely a lot cheaper than a second polarizer.

HTH,
Heather
Would a lens hood fit with a step up filter ring?
04-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
I guess I should clarify. I am not shooting a wedding.. I am the Bride, it's my wedding. I wanted to have an additional lens because we will be in FL for a week and I'd like to do more than sit on the beach. LOL..

I do understand that the investment is glass is worth the wait.. however I am VERY impatient! LOL. I won't ever need a fast telephoto but i could wait and do more research. I see that most of the zooms out now, either pentax or 3rd party, have an aperature range of 4-5.6 on a 70-300mm reach. All parts being equal what else is there to consider?
If you don't mind manual focus, and want a good zoom and relitively inexpensive, look at a vivitar series 1 70-210 F3.5.

It is fast sharp and a pleasure to use. I saw one on the forum within the last week. Just be aware you are goung to add a few pounds with this lens, mostly muscle bulk required to carry it
04-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
I guess I should clarify. I am not shooting a wedding.. I am the Bride, it's my wedding. I wanted to have an additional lens because we will be in FL for a week and I'd like to do more than sit on the beach. LOL.
Congratulations.

I think registering for glass and photography equipment in lieu of stemware, toasters, blenders, etc, is quite brilliant. I just wish my wife and I had been so enlightened.

I wish you and your spouse, and your new photo gear, much happiness.

As to your dillemia, since you likely have no way of knowing which glass you registerr for will actually be gifted... have you considered renting?

CameraLensRentals [http://www.cameralensrentals.com/shop/default.aspx]CameraLensRentals.com - Online Camera Lens Rentals for Canon,Nikon, and PENTAX Cameras[/url] (see pentaxforums thread here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/24688-finally-...-s-lenses.html rents a wide selection of Pentax lenses to consider.

For a honeymoon and traveling light, I'd suggest the Pentax 18-250mm. If taking two or more lenses, you of course have far more options.

That way you have glass to take and use, and can continue saving for the upcoming 70-200mm f/2.8.

Toasters? Really. Give me glass everytime.