Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
It should also be mentioned that if you have a 1.7 lens you can always stop it down to 2.0 or all the way down to f/22 if that suits the shot.
So having a fast(er) lens just gives you the option of shooting wide open at 1.x but does not require it.
This is definitely something that I was thinking of. Also, I will eventually upgrade my camera body, at which point the larger aperture would be more useful.

I have been reading reviews and was wondering, is the 1.7 sharper than the 2.0 at f2.0? That would definitely be big points for going ahead and getting the 1.7.

01-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by london.paul1 Quote
This is definitely something that I was thinking of. Also, I will eventually upgrade my camera body, at which point the larger aperture would be more useful.

I have been reading reviews and was wondering, is the 1.7 sharper than the 2.0 at f2.0? That would definitely be big points for going ahead and getting the 1.7.
Having both, I can say that personally, I have not noticed a difference...
01-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Having both, I can say that personally, I have not noticed a difference...
Cool, thanks!
01-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would go for the 1.7, especially if you can find one at a good price. As Matt said, you can always stop it down to f/2 if focusing is a problem. Then later if you upgrade to a body with a fullsize pentaprism viewfinder and/or focus peaking, you'll be ready to take advantage of the nicer wide-open bokeh, shallower DOF, and generally higher performance the 1.7 offers. Meanwhile, you can always try liveview or an O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier on your K-x.

Last edited by paulh; 01-28-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: edited text
01-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Considering that this lens is manual... the way you will focus it is by "eyeball it" basically.
2.0 and 2.8 is just as good as the 1.4, 1.7. Optically I haven't really seen big differences... unless you compare them wide open... but then you expect the difference .
Setting all at minimum 2.8, you will get very similar results.
Yes at f2.8 there is not much difference but other apertures such as f2 and f5.6 there is a difference. See: Nifty 50 Shootout : ERPhotoReview
The A f1.4 (which is probably out of budget) is a really nice lens and I have noticed a difference in field use between it and f1.7 (even when not being used wide open).
01-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For completely manual the Auto Chinon 50mm f/1.7 Multi-Coated I once had was quite wonderful and I almost buy a new one everytime I see one for sale.
01-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Yes at f2.8 there is not much difference but other apertures such as f2 and f5.6 there is a difference. See: Nifty 50 Shootout : ERPhotoReview
The A f1.4 (which is probably out of budget) is a really nice lens and I have noticed a difference in field use between it and f1.7 (even when not being used wide open).
Is funny... I have both and images don't seem to have a huge difference between them.
After PP, they look pretty much the same - didn't specifically tried all apertures, but from my experience so far... not a big difference.
I'm talking about real life experiences not just graphs.

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-29-2014 at 06:27 AM.
01-29-2014, 06:31 AM   #23

Original Poster
Is funny... I have both and images don't seem to have a huge difference between them.
After PP, they look pretty much the same - didn't specifically tried all apertures, but from my experience so far... not a big difference.
I'm talking about real life experiences not just graphs.
Good to hear this. I am leaning more and more toward the 1.7. Getting something like the 1.4 wouldn't necessarily be "out of budget" at the moment, it is just that I am buying this lens on a bit of a whim to see if I like it. And I would rather not spend too much on a whim. Plus, I would also like to upgrade my kit lens soon as well, so that is where I plan on spending a little more money.

The main use for this lens will be pictures of a baby most likely, do you all think that I will be happy with this lens for that purpose? Any other recommendations?

01-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Good to hear this. I am leaning more and more toward the 1.7. Getting something like the 1.4 wouldn't necessarily be "out of budget" at the moment, it is just that I am buying this lens on a bit of a whim to see if I like it. And I would rather not spend too much on a whim. Plus, I would also like to upgrade my kit lens soon as well, so that is where I plan on spending a little more money.

The main use for this lens will be pictures of a baby most likely, do you all think that I will be happy with this lens for that purpose? Any other recommendations?
You will not be disappointed with them for sure!
01-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

I found an M50 f1:1.4 for sale on Craigslist last fall, for $50. It's pristine and beautiful. It's not easy to use at 1.4 though...
01-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #26

Original Poster
Out of curiosity, would the only difference between an A and an M be the need to set the aperture on the lens as well as the focus?

I think I could handle this fine, and then I would be able to get the 1.7 no problem. I usually shoot in manual mode when I am out and about, so really the only difference here would be having to set the aperture on the lens rather than on the camera itself (in addition to focusing of course). I am assuming that the camera's light meter still works to give you exposure info even with and M lens, but I could be wrong.
01-29-2014, 06:58 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

A is a lot more convenient, with manual stopdown metering you'll need to do an extra step. With A lenses they act like modern lensed but you'll just have to manually focus. You can use P or A mode.

If you find an A50 f/2 or f1/7 buy it.
01-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Paul, you are right here in town. When the weather breaks a bit I have M 2.0, A 1.4 and M 1.7 that you could try shooting a few pics with. PM me if interested.
01-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Out of curiosity, would the only difference between an A and an M be the need to set the aperture on the lens as well as the focus?

I think I could handle this fine, and then I would be able to get the 1.7 no problem. I usually shoot in manual mode when I am out and about, so really the only difference here would be having to set the aperture on the lens rather than on the camera itself (in addition to focusing of course). I am assuming that the camera's light meter still works to give you exposure info even with and M lens, but I could be wrong.
Pretty much correct. With an M (or K) lens, you'll also use stop down metering to set your shutter speed. This is the one extra step you'll need to take. In M-mode, after setting your aperture, press the green button, (or the AE-L button on your K-x) to take a meter reading. The camera will set a suggested shutter speed for you. Using a flash will be difficult with these lenses, however - so you may want to get an A-lens if you plan on that.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using...x-dslrs-f.html
01-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #30

Original Poster
Yeah, I think that the A is the way to go for me, especially with this being my first manual lens. I appreciate all of the helpful comments and suggestions!!!!