Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2014, 05:00 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is one definite difference between the f1.7 and f1.4 lenses. The f1.7 lenses (and f2) have 6 aperture blades while the f1.4 lenses have 8. Most likely the only difference that you will see is a difference in the out of focus areas and also the difference in stars made by bright lights. I don't have a f1.4 lens but my f1.7, f1.8 and f2 lenses behave similarly although I think my f1.7 lens is the best (just a judgment).

Here are a few examples

Some lights at night

A sunset

The f1.4 lens will have eight pointed stars and some prefer the bokeh created by 8 aperture blades (f.1.4). If it were me I would probably skip the f2 version but there probably isn't that much of a difference tbh.

01-30-2014, 05:14 AM   #32

I got a S-M-C takumar 50 f1.4 (m42 mount). And trust me, it beats all other manual 50mm lenses
01-30-2014, 06:33 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by infactimacat Quote
I got a S-M-C takumar 50 f1.4 (m42 mount). And trust me, it beats all other manual 50mm lenses
That's a whole different fish... I doubt he is looking into m42 mount...
01-30-2014, 06:56 AM   #34

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Yeah, I am not looking to go down that road at the moment. One step at a time I think. If I get the A 1.7 and really enjoy shooting with it then I may look at getting some other manuals. I do appreciate the recommendation though!!

01-30-2014, 06:57 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
It's also the kind of talk that fuels excessive LBA. Everyone has a top lens that they think is special but in fact comparing fast fifties (esp from Pentax) is picking between a bunch of lenses that would get a 9-10 rating from most users.

FWIW - the 50f2 (A and M) were rated considerably lower (in the database) than the other Pentax fast fifties. That might be a personal bias against the lens since it supposedly isn't supposed to be as good. I doubt many of the reviewers compared the 3 different aperture lenses in addition to the various different models (tak (multiple), K, M, A, F, FA, DA (50f1.8).
01-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #36

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
It's also the kind of talk that fuels excessive LBA. Everyone has a top lens that they think is special but in fact comparing fast fifties (esp from Pentax) is picking between a bunch of lenses that would get a 9-10 rating from most users.

FWIW - the 50f2 (A and M) were rated considerably lower (in the database) than the other Pentax fast fifties. That might be a personal bias against the lens since it supposedly isn't supposed to be as good. I doubt many of the reviewers compared the 3 different aperture lenses in addition to the various different models (tak (multiple), K, M, A, F, FA, DA (50f1.8).
Yeah, I definitely want to take it pretty easy on the lens buying front, I feel like it is pretty easy to start going down the rabbit hole on that one!! I got the same impression about the f2 reading some reviews that maybe people rated it a tad lower just because of perception. I am still pretty sure I am going to go for the A 1.7, however that A 2 can be had for a lot less than the 1.7, so I am still wavering a bit.