Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax DA* 200mm lens review

Pentax DA* 200 lens - review here:

Pentax SMC DA* 200mm f/2.8 ED [IF] SDM - Review / Test Report

or in TinyURL form:

http://tinyurl.com/48zhvz

Main problem seems to be the rather large degree of purple fringing in backlit, high contrast scenes. The review also makes an interesting point that this may spring from the fact that the design is basically 15 years old, based on the FA* lenses.

Does anyone have personal experience with this lens yet?

Actually, the one I'm more interested in is the 300mm - any comments on that one would also be appreciated.

04-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote

Yes, I've had several weeks of personal experience with this lens. I even had my review published:

Pentax DA* 200mm f/2.8 Lens Review

In short, anyone claiming the DA* 200mm has problems with purple fringe either had a bad copy of the lens or they don't know what purple fringe is.

I had to work hard to get any purple fringe to show up with my DA* 200mm lens ... and even when I was able to get an image that had purple fringe it only showed up when I viewed the image at 200 or 400 percent magnification.

In other words: In my experience this lens does not have any issues with excessive purple fringing.

Here are a couple of samples:

04-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
Pentax DA* 200 lens - review here:

Pentax SMC DA* 200mm f/2.8 ED [IF] SDM - Review / Test Report

or in TinyURL form:

http://tinyurl.com/48zhvz

Main problem seems to be the rather large degree of purple fringing in backlit, high contrast scenes. The review also makes an interesting point that this may spring from the fact that the design is basically 15 years old, based on the FA* lenses.

Actually, the one I'm more interested in is the 300mm - any comments on that one would also be appreciated.

i've never read any review of the f* or fa* "older" designed lenses having purple fringing. perhaps the reviewer had a little purple haze. for those of you with $900 to spare you can get it here with warranty and 30 day return policy:

Pentax smc DA 200mm F2.8 ED(IF) SDM Lens with Pentax USA Warranty | BuyDig.com, The Internet's Digital Superstore

Last edited by ivoire; 04-12-2008 at 07:17 PM.
04-13-2008, 05:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good info, thanks. Encouraging. If you look at the review at the link I posted, there is a sample of the purple fringing - admittedly in a very high contrast backlit situation. As you point out, maybe the lens was faulty.

Anyone with any experience with the 300? That's the one I'd be thinking of getting.....

04-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[QUOTE=JJJPhoto;218397]Yes, I've had several weeks of personal experience with this lens. I even had my review published:

Pentax DA* 200mm f/2.8 Lens Review

In short, anyone claiming the DA* 200mm has problems with purple fringe either had a bad copy of the lens or they don't know what purple fringe is.

I had to work hard to get any purple fringe to show up with my DA* 200mm lens ... and even when I was able to get an image that had purple fringe it only showed up when I viewed the image at 200 or 400 percent magnification.

In other words: In my experience this lens does not have any issues with excessive purple fringing.[/QUOTEJ

None of your photos have the harsh contra lighting that produces purple fringing!
04-13-2008, 05:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote

None of your photos have the harsh contra lighting that produces purple fringing!
Here is a link to a photo with harsh contrasting lighting that should have produced purple fringing but didn't (except under 400+ percent magnification).

Here is a link to a test photo where I was TRYING to create purple fringing (and I'm not exactly sure why anyone would do something like this). As you can see, there is some fringing but it's not visible in images that have been resized for the web.

However, here is the same image with purple fringing after a 10-second correction in Photoshop. My point is that purple fringing is an easy fix. Chromatic aberration is what can't be easily fixed ... and there's none of that with the DA* 200.
04-13-2008, 06:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

jjj, excellent review which mirrors my (amateur) experience. It is a wonderful lens. I'm also awaiting delivery of the DA 300, which I am confident will be as good, just longer .....

04-13-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
Here is a link to a photo with harsh contrasting lighting that should have produced purple fringing but didn't (except under 400+ percent magnification).

Here is a link to a test photo where I was TRYING to create purple fringing (and I'm not exactly sure why anyone would do something like this). As you can see, there is some fringing but it's not visible in images that have been resized for the web.
Again, I don't see harsh contra lighting in your photos. The first has none, the second a little, but the contra lighting is muted.
04-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Again, I don't see harsh contra lighting in your photos. The first has none, the second a little, but the contra lighting is muted.
I don't know why this is such a big deal for you to see. Here's a sample taken with the DA* 200mm with HARSH contra lighting. No post processing.

As you can see ... no serious issue with purple fringing with my copy of the DA* 200mm.

I don't know what else I'm supposed to say or show you to satisfy your needs. If you don't believe what I'm saying and think the images I've shown aren't good enough examples of how this lens handles purple fringing then you might want to consider buying the lens and finding out for yourself.
04-13-2008, 08:07 AM   #10

The lens does have some purple fringing. I have it just for a couple of weeks now and still no serious work with it. But the day I got it I went outside trying to reproduce the problem and it's there. I don't think it's a reason for not buying the lens since it seems very very good...but saying that the problem doesn't exist is not true. But then again, you need some serious contrast on the image, not the optimal conditions to photograph anyway...not for me at least.

This is a 100% crop. It's a leaf with overcast sky, taken a few minutes ago.

04-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mauricio Quote
The lens does have some purple fringing. I have it just for a couple of weeks now and still no serious work with it. But the day I got it I went outside trying to reproduce the problem and it's there. I don't think it's a reason for not buying the lens since it seems very very good...but saying that the problem doesn't exist is not true. But then again, you need some serious contrast on the image, not the optimal conditions to photograph anyway...not for me at least.

This is a 100% crop. It's a leaf with overcast sky, taken a few minutes ago.

Um - serious question, does a lens exist that would *not show some PF at 100% crop in that situation? Basically shooting into a white light-emitting background against high contrast green at 100% crop - maybe NASA has some optics in orbit that wouldn't PF in that situation, but I'll bet B&H doesn't

04-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #12

Well, the only thing I said was that the purple fringing is there. Didn't compare it with any other lens, although I can do that later if I want. I think that's the kind of image where you can test a photo for PF, not the kind of pictures posted above. Remember, I paid 1000 euros for this lens, so I have no reason to say it's bad...but come on...which lens would show PF on the pictures above?
04-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Um - serious question, does a lens exist that would *not show some PF at 100% crop in that situation?
Olympus, Voigtlander APOs, even the Samsung kit lenses, Sigma 14 EX, etc.
04-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

even the Samsung kit lenses
and by extension the Pentax kit lenses?
04-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Um - serious question, does a lens exist that would *not show some PF at 100% crop in that situation? Basically shooting into a white light-emitting background against high contrast green at 100% crop - maybe NASA has some optics in orbit that wouldn't PF in that situation, but I'll bet B&H doesn't

hahaha, right you are!
at first I thought my tak 300/4 was horrible at showing PF. then i realized what i was shooting: birds in trees with a background of overcast sky