Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2014, 02:50 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
feedback on a review posted here.

Hi, new here and I'd like some constructive feedback on a review I just did here, would like to know what more I should do, what I should have done differently etc. how you would rate the lens based on the photos I've provided etc.

I've already concluded that some kind of infinity focus with 100% crops at different aperture openings might be useful. as well as how the IQ is close to the edges. I will try to add these as soon as I have a chance to take some pictures during daylight. Also photos at different angles when the sun is out could be useful. But that might be hard.

The lens in question is a hoya 28mm f2.8 and here is the link.

Hoya 28mm F2.8 HMC Wide-Auto Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

01-29-2014, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't believe the user reviews are meant to be long and drawn out. I think your review is excellent, but I would just keep it to 2 or 3 pics.
01-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I wouldn't discourage you from providing as lengthy a review as you would like to provide. I think it is good so far.

You might mention some of the rationale for the numerical ratings, like what lenses you were comparing it to. If you don't have a specific benchmark, that is fine, so long as you mention that. Some folks will just look at the numerical scores, and take them out of context.
02-24-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

my 2c is the review is too long and loses impact as a result

02-25-2014, 03:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As far as pictures go, I'd pondered on this and then decided to only post small thumbnails with links to the relevant photo page on Flickr where a full size image can be pixel-peeped. This seems to work - I get 30-40 click-throughs a day from my reviews. It is often hard to choose one or two large images characteristic of a particular lens and having too many can distract from the written text. With small thumbnails at least a casual visitor can ignore them and scroll past. I just wish that the review editor script would make doing that sort of a layout easier.
02-25-2014, 04:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

yeah, I find that the large pictures make the text go off the screen...but to be honest, I find the best thing to do with a lens is to buy it and try it...
02-25-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You provided the kind of overview of the lens that I appreciate to help me value a lens. I gave you a like!
02-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
Hi, new here and I'd like some constructive feedback on a review I just did here, would like to know what more I should do, what I should have done differently etc. how you would rate the lens based on the photos I've provided etc.

I've already concluded that some kind of infinity focus with 100% crops at different aperture openings might be useful. as well as how the IQ is close to the edges. I will try to add these as soon as I have a chance to take some pictures during daylight. Also photos at different angles when the sun is out could be useful. But that might be hard.

The lens in question is a hoya 28mm f2.8 and here is the link.

Hoya 28mm F2.8 HMC Wide-Auto Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
For me, I would like to see a bit more on the handling , how many aperture detects (full or/2 stops) and focusing ring rotation from min to infinity,

In addition,mare the focus and aperture motions the same as pentax or reversed.

Now that that is out of the way, while your shots are interesting and creative, they do not necessarily expose weaknesses in the lens, what about edge sharpness?, CA at the edges (common form example on the sigma mini wide II 28mm) as an example. Also, uniformity of exposure on your body, and whether there is exposure drop off at the edges

Exposure drop off can be measured by shooting wide open against a uniformly lit surface and measuring the center grey scale and comparing this to edge grey scale ,

Exposure with your body can be done using the same surface and shooting , metering with green button at each aperture in manual mode, then plotting center grey scale vs aperture

Lateral CA can be checked at any shot wide open.

Etc....

The defects are as important as the pluses.