Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Versions of FA 43mm Limited lens?

Just wondering how many variants of the FA43 limited there is? The reason I ask is I ordered one and the pic shown doesn't look like a current version that is shown elsewhere. Yes it's a reputable place, they have a good return policy it's just that the customer service rep and myself noticed the difference. Might be a web goof but I won't know until it shows up.

JJ

01-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope you get the right thing! There are minor variations but they all look nearly identical. Probably the biggest change over the years is the color of the pouch it comes in!

Glass/coatings have also changed slightly, making older ones "superior" by a slim margin.
01-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There's only one version. When it first came out it was available in silver and black, but now only the black version is available.

The early batches of this lens were made in japan. Several years ago Pentax stopped producing lenses in Japan, so the newer 43mm's say "assembled in Vietnam". There is absolutely no optical or mechanical difference between the two- though some people actually pay more for the ones that say "Made in Japan". I do believe that the MIJ ones came with different leather cases, but I'm not 100% sure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok probably just a case of wrong pic on the website...

01-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I do believe that the MIJ ones came with different leather cases, but I'm not 100% sure.
I think there's more detailed information here somewhere on the forum, but the early run(s) from Japan had a brown pouch like I have. The later runs from Japan did not.
01-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Can you maybe post photos?
But yes, websites often goof up the photos. Ive seen a reputable photography chain show a silver FA 43mm as the product photo of the FA 50mm f1.4. All the specs and price were for the FA 50mm, but the web images showed the silver FA 43mm ltd..
01-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Can you maybe post photos?
But yes, websites often goof up the photos. Ive seen a reputable photography chain show a silver FA 43mm as the product photo of the FA 50mm f1.4. All the specs and price were for the FA 50mm, but the web images showed the silver FA 43mm ltd..

Working on it, I seem to have limited space available lol...

JJ
01-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Here ya go...

01-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Versions of FA 43mm Limited lens?

This is what I'm used to seeing...maybe it's just different because of having the mount cover on in the one vs the other...

JJ
01-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It's the same lens.

The perspective may be slightly distorted on the first image.

But this lens always looks significantly slimmer without the hood or rear lens cap on it.
01-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

you are going to love that FA Ltd, regardless of where it was made/assembled!
01-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The very early ones had a different coating - one such early lens was sold here on the forum recently.
01-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys it was on my short list, and seeing as how I can only get one every blue moon I wrestled with my decision. I don't think I could have went wrong with any on my list but have to start somewhere...

JJ
01-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is another version of the FA43!

Search the net for Pentax 43/1.9 Special L, which is a leica screw mount and comes with a special viewfinder.
01-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #15
Forum Member

FA 43 early MIJ

Apparently there was an early production run of the MIJ that used leaded glass. According to Japanese and Taiwanese sites (other than Rice) this run went until serial number 0020000. After that they no longer used leaded glass. I'm not sure whether it's a result of the glass itself or if the coating was also different, but the front element is a slightly different colour as well. (I think more blue-ish than green-ish). Legend has it that this early run is sharper wide open and exposes a little brighter.

My version falls under this debated early run. I don't have another to compare it to, but the visible differences I see are the brown leather bag and the fact that the lettering on the front is all white (I think "Limited" is in red on the new ones). I believe this run was also only made in silver.