Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Sdenby Quote
My fourth lens for the K-30 was the 10-17mm pentax fisheye.
If you're into that kinda stuff (fisheye), its really nice. It creates some really interesting shots.
I have read good things about that particular lens but I would definitely be the last lens I buy because I'm not too into fisheye but if the opportunity would present itself on getting a good one for a decent price.I might give it a try.. To me its always good to be versatile even tho I prefer landscapes and/or architectural shots

02-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #32

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The only qualms I have about primes is that there is no zoom. Be it they are great, however with my 50mm I needed to move forward or backward to get the right picture frame. I found no problem with doing that but if I'm outside and in a position where as that's not possible, i.e. cliffs and such, or indoors walls, tables; that's my issue.

I was thinking 17-50mm but I could suffice with my weaker 18-55mm kit for the time being. Now I'm thinking wider, being it's winter and I am more apt to be indoors. So what may be the better idea, a good 10-20mm or a 14, 16 or 24mm prime than crop?
02-01-2014, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter

If wanting wider I would probably go with either the Sigma 8-16, 10-20, or the Tamron 10-24. Primes are fine, but you can't always "zoom with your feet" like some would have you believe. There are times if I tried that where I would end up off of a cliff or a bridge!
02-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
If wanting wider I would probably go with either the Sigma 8-16, 10-20, or the Tamron 10-24. Primes are fine, but you can't always "zoom with your feet" like some would have you believe. There are times if I tried that where I would end up off of a cliff or a bridge!
Put a whole new twist on "a shot worth dyeing for"

02-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Lol this made me laugh... I am definitely going for the sigma 8-16 or 10-20mm when the money and time is right..
02-01-2014, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter

Sometimes, you just can't zoom with your feet any further!
02-02-2014, 02:37 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ILLmatic173 Quote
I have read good things about that particular lens but I would definitely be the last lens I buy because I'm not too into fisheye but if the opportunity would present itself on getting a good one for a decent price.I might give it a try.. To me its always good to be versatile even tho I prefer landscapes and/or architectural shots
My daughter really enjoyed borrowing this lens one day. But I usually hang on to it myself.

One of the interesting things about it is you can get away with fisheye on many landscapes (especially if you're willing to put the horizon in the middle), because people don't know exactly how it "should" look, so it doesn't look distorted. Also, because it's a fisheye zoom (a rare design), you can control the amount of distortion you want, from minimal to a significant fisheye effect. To me, this zoom feature is the greatest strength of the lens (and I usually like to shoot primes). Plus, it has colors almost as good as the DA15.

02-02-2014, 05:37 AM   #38
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stoney Quote
Starting to upgrade lenses ?
Oh dear, another man slips towards the wily ways of mistress LBA, enjoy the ride.
02-02-2014, 07:51 AM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Oh dear, another man slips towards the wily ways of mistress LBA, enjoy the ride.
Wow, that slipped by or flew over my head, maybe. I hate to think dirty thoughts if LBA is a computer term linked to a mistress. Don't know if I should laugh, barf or both.
02-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #40
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I hate to think dirty thoughts if LBA is a computer term linked to a mistress
Not a computer term, far worse it's a photography term, LBA = Lens Buying Addiction and she can become a very cruel mistress if not kept under tight control.
02-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #41

Original Poster
Not a computer term, far worse it's a photography term, LBA = Lens Buying Addiction and she can become a very cruel mistress if not kept under tight control.
Ok, but is that worse? In the computer world LBA = Logical block addressing, so you focus on the mistress and she blocks your logic in addressing the topic of buying a lens.
02-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #42
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

she blocks your logic in addressing the topic of buying a lens
You just lost me on that last curve.
02-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #43

Original Poster
You just lost me on that last curve.
I guess that you could kind of say that the mistress blocks your logic to buy the right lens one way and the other just to buy lenses for the fun of it, so that it becomes an addiction.
Where I may be headed and just get a 10-20, 17-50, 24 & 300 primes cause I can't just choose 1. Damn her. lol
02-03-2014, 01:54 PM - 2 Likes   #44
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

just get a 10-20, 17-50, 24 & 300 primes
Aye just go for it and be damned for it in just one hit, rather than suffering over a long period of time.
02-03-2014, 01:59 PM - 2 Likes   #45
Site Supporter

Aye just go for it and be damned for it in just one hit, rather than suffering over a long period of time.
Yup. Easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Actually, I buy whatever the heck I want & then just tell my husband later. Considering his car habit, I think I'm all right with my gadget expenditures!