Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TedW Quote
Lister6520, I'm curious if you have used both lens and body IS and if so which you prefer?
There are cases where one seems better than the other. I have never scientifically compared them but I can share my perceived view.

At the shorter end of focal length the IBIS seems to cope better in all cases, but at the long end there are cases where the IS seems better.

For shutter speeds above 1/200 and stationary subjects the IS can give pixel peeping sharpness more reliably than IBIS.

For slower shutter speeds, especially 1/50 and slower IBIS can give significantly better results than IS, sometimes the difference between a useable photo and a useless one. It still won't be pixel perfect but still much better than what IS can do.

IBIS also works much better in any situation and any speed when panning to follow a moving subject. The Sigma IS has a second mode which supposedly helps with panning but all it does is to turn off stabilisation in the lateral direction but I have not found that very effective. While it is commonly stated that IBIS has to be turned off when panning my experience is very different and I find that it does actually cope very well but does need practice to get it right. The main thing is that you have to start following the subject at least a second or two before shooting and have to pan at as constant a rate as possible. The IBIS seems to 'understand' and rather than trying to lock to a fixed direction instead locks to a constant rotation and so corrects for any vibration on top of that movement but not the base panning movement.

I find IS very helpful for focusing in low light geting focus lock much quicker. I suppose this could be because the IS is stabilising the image also for the focus sensor which probably has to use a slow 'shutter speed' in low light and any movment will make it more difficult to detect features reliably. It is also useful if you are using your lens as a telescope as you get realtime stabilisation like in some expensive binoculars.

03-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #17

Wow, that is really helpful. Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
There are cases where one seems better than the other. I have never scientifically compared them but I can share my perceived view.

At the shorter end of focal length the IBIS seems to cope better in all cases, but at the long end there are cases where the IS seems better.

For shutter speeds above 1/200 and stationary subjects the IS can give pixel peeping sharpness more reliably than IBIS.

For slower shutter speeds, especially 1/50 and slower IBIS can give significantly better results than IS, sometimes the difference between a useable photo and a useless one. It still won't be pixel perfect but still much better than what IS can do.

IBIS also works much better in any situation and any speed when panning to follow a moving subject. The Sigma IS has a second mode which supposedly helps with panning but all it does is to turn off stabilisation in the lateral direction but I have not found that very effective. While it is commonly stated that IBIS has to be turned off when panning my experience is very different and I find that it does actually cope very well but does need practice to get it right. The main thing is that you have to start following the subject at least a second or two before shooting and have to pan at as constant a rate as possible. The IBIS seems to 'understand' and rather than trying to lock to a fixed direction instead locks to a constant rotation and so corrects for any vibration on top of that movement but not the base panning movement.

I find IS very helpful for focusing in low light geting focus lock much quicker. I suppose this could be because the IS is stabilising the image also for the focus sensor which probably has to use a slow 'shutter speed' in low light and any movment will make it more difficult to detect features reliably. It is also useful if you are using your lens as a telescope as you get realtime stabilisation like in some expensive binoculars.