Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 150-500 for my K50?

Hi folks. I'm looking at a new Sigma 150-500mm zoom for use on my K50 for wildlife shots. I'll be using a tri or mono pod on most shots. I've read all the reviews and the recommendations sound good to me. Before I pull the trigger on this, I hoped to hear from anyone who has used this on a K50 just to make sure I'm not missing something. All thoughts are appreciated.

01-30-2014, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I use this lens on my K5 to shoot large-field sports, with good results. With a max aperture of 6.3 above approx 350mm you will need good light or good ISO performance, which your K50 should deliver.
01-30-2014, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad to hear a tripod is planned. I have always been worried about hanging two pounds of glass on my K30 plastic/mystery composite frame. The bending moment of an extended heavy lens at the camera body bayonet is significant and not to be ignored. Extreme temps could make a composite body more flexible in hot weather and more brittle in cold. Behavior of materials when stressed always must include temperature. Support the long lens and no worries because the stress is no longer on the bayonet.
01-30-2014, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

K30 has a stainless steel chassis inside.

01-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I did not know that. Eases my mind.
01-30-2014, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Glad to hear a tripod is planned. I have always been worried about hanging two pounds of glass on my K30 plastic/mystery composite frame. The bending moment of an extended heavy lens at the camera body bayonet is significant and not to be ignored. Extreme temps could make a composite body more flexible in hot weather and more brittle in cold. Behavior of materials when stressed always must include temperature. Support the long lens and no worries because the stress is no longer on the bayonet.
Tripod or handheld shouldn't make a difference in terms of stress on the mount. If shooting handheld, control the camera with your right hand, but keep your left hand beneath the lens to support weight. You should do this even with small lenses (except pancakes that are too small) for stability and blur-free shots.
01-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your input, everyone. Until "money is no object", I think I'll be plenty happy to have this lens. Will post some photos after a bit of practice.
01-31-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Yes but the mount ring is screwed to the plastic body.
I recall seeing a picture of a broken camera where the drop impact sheared off the camera mount.

In this post is a split k-30 for reference. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/199570-k-5-ii-k-...ml#post2106548

03-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Hi folks. I'm looking at a new Sigma 150-500mm zoom for use on my K50 for wildlife shots. I'll be using a tri or mono pod on most shots. I've read all the reviews and the recommendations sound good to me. Before I pull the trigger on this, I hoped to hear from anyone who has used this on a K50 just to make sure I'm not missing something. All thoughts are appreciated.
I wonder if you are still actively looking into acquiring a Sigma 150-500 ... there are a couple still available in the Market Place on this forum.

JP
03-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I wonder if you are still actively looking into acquiring a Sigma 150-500 ... there are a couple still available in the Market Place on this forum.

JP
Thanks, JP. I did go ahead and get the lens and have been having a blast with it. I'm more impressed with the lens than I expected to be and am still getting to know its capabilities, but it has been wonderful getting so close to my wild subjects. While shooting at a local wildlife reserve recently, I was amazed at being able to grab some in-flight shots of our elusive bald eagles. And even got a couple of great portrait shots of my family that day, at the 150mm range. Using a monopod was perfect for the trip. The lens balanced nicely and didn't seem heavy at all. Additionally, when shooting handheld, that image stabilization is remarkable! It locks on the target and maintains the focus clarity despite hand movement. I'll post some shots as soon as I can get familiar with the uploading process here.
03-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Thanks, JP. I did go ahead and get the lens and have been having a blast with it. I'm more impressed with the lens than I expected to be and am still getting to know its capabilities, but it has been wonderful getting so close to my wild subjects. While shooting at a local wildlife reserve recently, I was amazed at being able to grab some in-flight shots of our elusive bald eagles. And even got a couple of great portrait shots of my family that day, at the 150mm range. Using a monopod was perfect for the trip. The lens balanced nicely and didn't seem heavy at all. Additionally, when shooting handheld, that image stabilization is remarkable! It locks on the target and maintains the focus clarity despite hand movement. I'll post some shots as soon as I can get familiar with the uploading process here.
I was going to suggest a monopod. This lens is quite good as long as you have enough light. Stop it down to f8, f11 in really bright light conditions and it will be sharp.
03-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I've used that lens a lot on the K-30, which is practically the same camera as the K-50. I have found it to give very good results, much better than I expected for the price actually. It is even good enough to crop pictures substantially and still remain sharp.

Its close focus distance of 2 metres combined with its sharpness allows me to use it to great effect as a quasi macro lens, giving about 1:4 magnification. This hoverfly is shot with the Sigma and the K-30:

Here's a bird photo, I think it was at a distance of 15 metres or so if I remember correctly.

As already mentioned just don't use it at full aperture as it loses some sharpness.

Also always remember to never switch on the Image stabilisation on the lens while you have the in body shake reduction on. Use either one or the other but never both together.

There are two things I wish had been better:
1. The tripod ring is not as sturdy as I would like it to be , allowing wind to induce vibrations even when fitted onto a rock steady tripod.
2. Something I miss a lot is a focus limiter. The lack of it menas that if you miss focus first time it will waste quite some time going through the whole focus range until it finds focus again.
03-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Nice hoverfly shot!
03-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #14

Lister6520, I'm curious if you have used both lens and body IS and if so which you prefer?
03-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I have found little difference using either IBIS or the 150-500 lens' OS.
But that could my technique, who knows?

JP