Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2014, 07:03 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you can't find the genuine Pentax adapter for less than B&H sells it for, SRB Griturn makes a quality alternative.

02-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like others have said I plan a takumar day if I'm using my takumars. the only problem is that 35mm is my widest so I also have to take my DA15.

I know some make takumars into permanent K mount and have used them for a long time but I'm quite reluctant to use lenses that are not locked into place.
02-01-2014, 10:01 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M42 rocks.
02-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I prefer to get an adapter for every M42 lens, remove the springs from them and use the lenses as fake K-mounts.
this is what I do also, I can't recommend removing the springs from the M42 adapters enough! fast lens changes, and no frustration from stuck/stubborn adapters!

I've even adhered adapters permanently to two of my Industar 50s with Thread Lock. I wouldn't do that to any of my Takumars, Rokinons or Helioses, but on a couple cheap Industars? Why not?

02-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
this is what I do also, I can't recommend removing the springs from the M42 adapters enough! fast lens changes, and no frustration from stuck/stubborn adapters!

I've even adhered adapters permanently to two of my Industar 50s with Thread Lock. I wouldn't do that to any of my Takumars, Rokinons or Helioses, but on a couple cheap Industars? Why not?
interesting, could you give me a link to a tutorial for this?
02-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Styx1284 Quote
interesting, could you give me a link to a tutorial for this?
I don't have a link to a tutorial, but I'll write one up for you.

Again, there are warnings and risks involved in this procedure, and I cannot recommend that anyone follow these directions. The risks are responsibilities are yours alone if you choose to do so. Okay, disclaimers are out of the way, and we can begin.

Take a look at this ebay link - it's one of the inexpensive, flush mount M42 to K adapters from China (based on the original Pentax adapter):

Focus Infinity M42 Lens Mount Adapter for PK Pentax K10D K20D KM K7 K200D TR | eBay

if you look at the third photo in this listing in the upper right, you can see a silver flat spring held in place by a black screw - remove both of those. (this spring keeps the adapter "locked" into the bayonet mount - however, I have found that it can be difficult to remove the adapter from the K Mount without some fiddling (even with the included key) and it can be very frustrating, so I took them off and have had no problems).

if you screw that adapter onto your M42 lens and leave it there, you can use it like any other K mount lens, BUT the lock on the body will not engage the lens. I believe someone above mentioned that because the mount doesn't lock the lens in place, if you have stiff focus on your lens, you can turn the lens out of the mount as you focus, so you have to take care in use.

you can stop here, and enjoy your lenses.

On my industar 50s, however, I put a little dab or two of red Loctite (from the hardware store) on the threads to keep the adapter adhered to the lens. it is very important to note that red Loctite is pretty much permanent - it is a high strength adhesive. However, Blue Loctite, or Purple, is advertised as removable - although I cannot confirm that claim. Again, I would not recommend using Loctite unless you are completely certain you will never use that M42 lens on anything but a Pentax K Mount... forever and ever... until the end of time...

blue Loctite (advertised as removable) Loctite 0.2 fl. oz. Threadlocker Blue 242-209728 at The Home Depot

WARNING - I would caution you NEVER to adhere this adapter to the lens without first taking that spring off of the adapter!! if that adapter locks in your camera mount and you can't get the lens out of the adapter, you will never be able to get it off the camera.

Notes - I actually put the adapter in a dead K Mount body I had lying around, put the Loctite on the threads of the lens, screwed it onto the camera, and left it for a while for the Loctite to set. that way I knew that the lens would fit the camera properly. Also, with these cheap adapters, you can never be certain where the lens markings will be once the lens is screwed on - i think mine are upside down, but I'm fine with that.

erik.

Last edited by emergo; 12-22-2014 at 09:49 PM.
02-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #22
Site Supporter

In addition, you can cut a small slot in the base of the lens so that it engages the lens locking pin. That is if the lens is wide enough, I have M42 lenses that don't even cover the contacts.
02-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
In addition, you can cut a small slot in the base of the lens so that it engages the lens locking pin. That is if the lens is wide enough, I have M42 lenses that don't even cover the contacts.
that's certainly true. my industars barely cover the adapter!