Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FD or something else?

The joke is on me. I bought two auto sears lenses: 28 mm and 135 mm. Everyone knows auto sears lens are all K mount, right? At least that is what I thought. However, to my eye these two lenses look like Canon FD. I will be interested in comments on what different mounts auto sears lenses were made in, and confirmation that this lens looks like Canon FD. This is a real shame because these two lenses are so pristine they look like they have never been used.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
01-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, definitely FD. Could maybe be used on micro four thirds, or a Q. Sorry! Been there, done that too.
01-31-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes.
Canon FD.

Good news is that they are now 'back in the want list' for those who use MILC cameras like NEX and A7, so you can try to sell them off.
01-31-2014, 03:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for comments.

Thanks NickSiebers and pinholecam. I went ahead and risked fitting the 135 on a vintage A-1 camera, and the fit and functioning is perfect. Now instead of about 35 old FD lenses, I have about 37 old FD lenses, including an FD 55 mm f 1.2 and also FL 55 mm f 1.2. One of these days, I will get a program going to sell out lots of this old FD Canon stuff, bodies and lenses. I declined to give it away to Keh for $250 for the lot! Just one of the 1.2s ought to bring that much or more offered for bid on eBay!

For the 28 and 135, there is no real money involved: $14.00 for the two of them including postage, so nothing lost.

However, I am still interested in Auto Sears history. Did Sears at one point in time sell a Canon-mount camera? If so, was it an actual Canon or a rebadged Sears camera? I am not aware that Canon ever participated in that kind of re-branding program, and have never before run across a Canon-mount Auto Sears lens. It is also possible that Sears just had Rokinon make up some Canon mount lenses to pursue the Canon lens business along with their K-mount camera business. That is what I suspect is the case, because these mounts look somewhat different from the actual FD mounts in my collection, as if they are copies by a different lens maker.

01-31-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
However, I am still interested in Auto Sears history. Did Sears at one point in time sell a Canon-mount camera? If so, was it an actual Canon or a rebadged Sears camera? I am not aware that Canon ever participated in that kind of re-branding program, and have never before run across a Canon-mount Auto Sears lens. It is also possible that Sears just had Rokinon make up some Canon mount lenses to pursue the Canon lens business along with their K-mount camera business. That is what I suspect is the case, because these mounts look somewhat different from the actual FD mounts in my collection, as if they are copies by a different lens maker.
Sears sold lenses branded with the store name in many different mounts during the 1980s. These were sourced from multiple makers. Historically, Sears-branded lenses in M42 and K mount were often the same as Rikenon (Ricoh), but this is not consistently true.

Steve
01-31-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I declined to give it away to Keh for $250 for the lot! Just one of the 1.2s ought to bring that much or more offered for bid on eBay!
I've been trying to sell a CLA'd Canon A1 with a few lenses and winder for over 12 months for a cheap price - 50 UK Pounds - and I haven't even had one enquiry. And a lot of other camera guys I know say the same thing, Canon manual focus stuff just doesn't sell. I can sell Zenits for more money than I'm asking for this excellent Canon A1.
01-31-2014, 05:09 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I've been trying to sell a CLA'd Canon A1 with a few lenses and winder for over 12 months for a cheap price - 50 UK Pounds - and I haven't even had one enquiry. And a lot of other camera guys I know say the same thing, Canon manual focus stuff just doesn't sell. I can sell Zenits for more money than I'm asking for this excellent Canon A1.
Yes, I have the same situation, with 3 AE-1s, an A-1, 3 F-1s. Nobody will buy them so they set on my shelves. I think I will box up the film bodies, except for a nice A-1 that I use occasionally, and consign them to basement storage. I have bought a Q and shopping for an FD-Q adapter in order to use some of the better Canon lenses such as the FD 55mm f 1.2.
01-31-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sears sold lenses branded with the store name in many different mounts during the 1980s. These were sourced from multiple makers. Historically, Sears-branded lenses in M42 and K mount were often the same as Rikenon (Ricoh), but this is not consistently true.

Steve
Thanks for that information . It is about what I concluded since the Auto Sears 135mm f 2.8 appears identical to the Sears Auto 135 mm lens except for the mount. Ditto for the 28 mm in general appearance, I mean, since I do not have a K-mount 28mm Auto Sears for comparison. It just surprised me to see two pristine Auto Sears FD mount lenses since I had never before seen one or had any idea they had been produced.

These appear to be Rikinon.